Urine samples...

whisp&willow

Visit site
Betty's incontinence has returned of late, not sure if it is down to her hypothyroidism or something else, but I digress!

She has an appointment on friday morning at the vets and I've to being a urine sample if possible.

My question is: how fresh does it need to be? Would I be able to collect it on thursday's evening walk (when I have another pair of hands!)

Many thanks. x

Nicnac

Visit site
Yes should be fresh. These requests always bring back images of me chasing my Bernese Mountain Dog around the garden first thing in the morning. Every time he lifted his leg I was there with a jug and he just kept looking round at me as if I were mad and walking off. It took me over an hour!

{97702}

Visit site
Yes should be fresh. These requests always bring back images of me chasing my Bernese Mountain Dog around the garden first thing in the morning. Every time he lifted his leg I was there with a jug and he just kept looking round at me as if I were mad and walking off. It took me over an hour!

Sorry but that made me LOL :) I can imagine how frustrating it was for you though!

whisp&willow

Visit site
Managed to collect a sample eventually this morning! :D Knew it would be a bit of a wasted exercise, as had a feeling the sample would be clear.

Vet has given me propalin syrup for her. I mentioned that I thought it may be linked to the hypothyroid issue... but no mention of testing her levels.

It is just a locum, as our usual vet sadly had enough of life, and made the decision to leave us last year. :(

Betty is to get 1 ml twice a day, and it apparently costircts the blood vessels or something to stop incontinence. I need to read the info again. I think I will use the bottle that we have (15 days worth) and see how she is, then maybe think about asking for her thoxine levels to be checked via blood tests before continuing on with the propalin, as this is seen as another long term management treatment.

any ideas of experiences welcome.

x

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I've used Propalin for a bitch that leaked urine, it works by tightening the urinary sphincter muscle (or something like that :) ). It helped but didn't totally cure the problem. It sounds a sensible plan of yours to see if it helps and then maybe get the levels tested again.

whisp&willow

Visit site
Thanks MM. Its only been 2 days on the propalin... so I suppose early days, but certainly no joy so far. :/

I really think It's connected with her hypothyroidism. I am going to phone them on mon to book her in for blood tests to see if she is on enough soloxine. If my hunch is correct then she should just need a higher dose of soloxine, otherwise, at least we can rule it out and take it from there re: propalin or what ever else.

x