Urrrggghh, (vomit icon needed!), chesnuts, bleuuurgh...

mirandaharry

Visit site
Ok, so strarting to think I'm slightly weird here
blush.gif
, but I have an almost phobic dislike of the dreaded things, they really do make me feel quite queasy
crazy.gif
!!!

Anyway, grooming the boy this morn, ran body brush down front leg, he moved, caught leg with wooden bit of brush...and whole top of chestnut fell off
shocked.gif
...bleurgh, doooon't like
crazy.gif
!

Never dealt with chestnuts at all, ever, in whole life, being complete wimp always tend to ignore 'em completely
blush.gif
, soooo, should they fall off like that? What the buggery bollox are they anyway, and should I be doing something to them to soften/harden them (btw looking for a nooo, leave 'em well alone answer
tongue.gif
!!!).

Oh and please tell me someone else hates them too
wink.gif
!!!
grin.gif
x

hollyzippo

Visit site
PMSL- I have friends like you! They love me cos I pick them off quite merrily!!!
grin.gif
( I also pick my scabs/peeling etc- nice huh!!
grin.gif
blush.gif
)

I'd just leave them alone, they dont need anything putting on (unless knocked so much off its raw???).

If they get very big just get farrier to snip them off. If not will fall off in own time!!
wink.gif

H-J

www.piczo.com
They just fall off sometimes!! They grow and grow and then fall off or the farrier can cut them!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

How funny!! With my 1st horse Riley I used to pull them off and feed them to him!!
grin.gif
He used to eat them!!

Very funny post!
grin.gif

121272MDV

Visit site
ewwwww chestnuts make me cringe all people on the yard seem to enjoy twisting them off while im there in the corner

my answer - leave em alone no one pulls them off in the wild
laugh.gif
haha thats my excuse

shawny

mirandaharry

Visit site
Euuwww
shocked.gif
! You weird, weird people
crazy.gif
! And as for HollyJane ....what can I say!!!! Surely there must be secure units for people like you
wink.gif
!!!!! I can't believe you feed them to your horse, that is soooo wrong...
shocked.gif
grin.gif
!!!! (Really do need big vomiting smilie in here!).

Shawny, we'll just stick together as civilised members of HHO
tongue.gif
!!!

Oh dear, feelin quite unwell now!!
grin.gif

Hornby

Visit site
I thought they were the remnants of a horse's extra toe from millions of years ago...they are rather smelly but so is quite a lot to do with horses! I think they need to be kept tidy if you are showing but apart from that you can ignore them...and if they are broken off too much they can bleed.

lexiedhb

Visit site
Yeah think they are an evolutionary throw back from when ponies had 3 toes.......... two joined together to make hooves and the other one just got left to its own devices......... best to keep em trimed I think so as to avoid snapping them too low and bleeding, which is just nasty.......... not my favorite things in the world either!!!!

shellonabeach

Visit site
Chestnuts I can cope with as I also leave well alone

BUT

ERGOTS - ewww. My boy doesn't have much feather so I clip out his heels often I have to pick at his ergots (thinking about it makes me feel ill) so they don't stick out as much. Don't like cutting them with scissors incase I do some damage but digging at them with nails isn't nice either!!

Willsmum

New User
Visit site
I don't mind 'normal' chestnuts but I know somebody with a draught horse which has strange ones - like strands and quite long. She resulutely will not trim them and I can't even look at them without feeling queasy!

pagancluf

Visit site
This will put a spanner in the works - apparantly?? if you pick it off and let the horse smell it on your hands it will make him bond better to you - as you smell like him??? (dnk who told me that one) and I was told it is where the legs of the foal are attached together in the mare before born?!? (I pick them off when get too large - and enjoy it!! I know send me to an institute!!!) lol.
tongue.gif