Urticaria (sp?) treatment?

runaway

Visit site
I changed my horses feed a while ago and in response he came down with a bout of urticaria (Was a bit too quick in changing feed
blush.gif
). It's been VERY slow to go away and he's still got some raised areas clearly visable. I then thought that he'd be better on his original feed, so started to change him onto another feed and he is now coming out in a second bout of urticaria
crazy.gif
(probably should have left him to settle before changing him over
frown.gif
- hindsight is a wonderful thing!!)
Other than washing him in warm salt water as the vet recommended last time has anyone else got any treatments that have worked? I thought I heard someone say they'd used piriton for this problem, is this possible?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
We use a steroidal based cream on a particularly prone mare on the yard.

Bought from boots over the counter - the E45 one I think it's 1%. They will usually allow you to buy two at a time.

samp

Visit site
My horse used to get a severe reaction every spring. He was so bad they would weep. We used to have to have a steroidal injection (obviously this is not ideal as can cause laminitis). They told me to wash in hibiscrub and apply Dermobion (so guess use Betnovate N in place of Dermobion now?)

runaway

Visit site
Between my dad and me we seem to be causing this problem with my horse every winter!!

The problem with my man is that he's extra sensitive to everything
frown.gif
and reacts to certain things I use. (never easy is it!) He had a steroid injection once when he had a very severe reaction some years ago but don't think this warrants one now.

I've got some Dermobian so may try putting some of that on after washing him. Will have to ring vets I think anyway as he's going for his flu tet this next week and not sure if he'll be ok to have that if he's already dealing with one thing!

Oh why oh why didn't we just leave him on the old food
confused.gif

the watcher

Visit site
urtcaria often comes out as a result of being off colour or stressed in other respects so maybe a general tonic/multi vit would help. Try to keep your horse cool and rested to reduce inflammation. That is assuming this is true urticaria and not just a skin reaction to protein (barley, often). You should also assume your horse may be colicy, as in some cases the lumps you can see on the outside are replicated down the digestive tract - temperature will be your guide to the level of inflammation.

Piriton can be given to horses, a simple a diet as possible and rest are the other keys to success

smallgirl

Visit site
My boy has got a mild case of this, I have been putting him on Atratax as it is a non-drowsy version of Piriton. Was advised not to ask too much of him if I was going to use Piriton as he probably wouldn't be alert enough, but Atratax is ok.

Have to say I haven't washed him but have also put him on Echineacea to boost immune system.

Hope he gets better soon.

runaway

Visit site
Thank you everyone. I've finally managed to have a look at my boy and he's not too bad. There are some new small lumps but he's not too bad. Have cut out the small amount of "new" food he was getting and he's got a lighter rug on as it's not that cold and he's not clipped. It's typical that when I have more time and could ride ride he comes down with something to prevent me taking him out
frown.gif
sigh.