US racetrack Santa Anita - horse deaths

tristar

Visit site
yes good news, I hope one day they understand that money is uneatable.
drugs, lasix, dirt tracks or inbreeding, theese are parts of puzzle. Main problem is ignorance and empire of Money.
horses get tranquilizer too on racedays. an this is legal in North America. (acepromazine)
If you visit an US/Canadian racetrack, you can not see any warm-up or cool-down process, a groom saddle up the horse and horse goes to track directly!

- between barn and track distance is nearly 100 yards (it depends on the barn location)
when the horse arrives to track ;

- first one furlongs trot
- 1½ or 2 laps Canter
- coming back to his barn
- groom washes his legs
- then horse goes into the stall !!

yes! he horse still hot, sweaty and has 3 digits heart rate and his groom leaves him to the stall, no one lead this horse to cool-down, no one put him to the hotwalker tools . Americans/canadians just use the hotwalker tools after race or work out (work-out is galopping as American Eng) because an average US racetrack has only 15-20 hotwalker tools and each one for max 4 horses, whereas 1000 horses live in an average racetrack. Even this situation can explain why a lot of horses die.
Trainers want to save Money so one groom cares nearly 6 to 10 horses. You can do this in a breeding farm but if you try this in a racetrack, no time to even mucking out or bandaging properly.
by the way I'm talking about %95 of North American TB industry. no idea about other %5 (Santa Anita, Aquaduct, Saratoga, Keenland,Churchill Downs etc)
well i take 15 20 minutes to warm up, and 10 minutes warming down, plus washing down, to clean and cool off, then turn out to roll, that`s with no sweating and no panting with fit horses.

Visit site
well i take 15 20 minutes to warm up, and 10 minutes warming down, plus washing down, to clean and cool off, then turn out to roll, that`s with no sweating and no panting with fit horses.

On a raceday over here the horses are lead out in walk for 25minutes before the race, jockeys on and canter down torhe start then some more walking about til race time. Back in wash down straight away then walk for another good 20-25 minutes.

At home the horses at one yard are on the horse walker for 25mins before we get on, trot for 5mins or so then canter. Back in, wash down and on the walker for another 20mins. At the other yard we go out straight from the box. We walk with bits of trot the 1.5 miles to the gallop, work then walk home, wash off then another 10mins on the walker to dry off. After they usually get some time in the field in rotation.

We have much higher standards of animal welfare in Britain than they do in America.