US racetrack Santa Anita - horse deaths

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
OK, in regards to the Lasix ban at Santa Anita, it has been mentioned a few times that in Europe/Uk horses are left without water for many hours to dehydrate them that way.

In Europe they will pull water 18 hours before a race etc to dehydrate them. Great, huh?

https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/...u-think-somethings-up?p=10360551#post10360551

How is it managed where no Lasix is allowed?
The easiest method (from the trainer's point of view, not the horse's) is to withhold water for 12-18 hours before a race.
Is that what is done to U.S. horses running races in countries where lasix is not allowed, or is that common practice in the UK ?

https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/...u-think-somethings-up?p=10355008#post10355008

I'm just wondering how true or common this is?

bonny

Visit site
In my experience water is withheld for a few hours before a race, 12 to 18 would affect a horses performance and I can’t imagine anyone doing that

Visit site
We never remove water from the horses before they race. Some people take it away an 1-2 hours before they race but I have never seen a horse at the races that has none at all any stage before they run.

Clodagh

Visit site
When you see the two year old American horses that race at Ascot they make ours look like foals. The fillies look like 4 year old entires! I don't understand though how the UK ban on steroids doesn't catch them out? They MUST have had them, surely, to be so advanced, physically? Yet apparently we even test hair samples.

Visit site
So long as it is outwith the withdrawal period (I cant remember how long that is but I have a feeling it's 4 months) then they can run in Britain having previously been on steroids.

Clodagh

Visit site
So long as it is outwith the withdrawal period (I cant remember how long that is but I have a feeling it's 4 months) then they can run in Britain having previously been on steroids.

I thought I read that we were banning it in the production of youngstock, and that mane and tail hair would be tested to ensure it never had been used. Perhaps that was an idea that was discussed and not implemented.

bonny

Visit site
I thought I read that we were banning it in the production of youngstock, and that mane and tail hair would be tested to ensure it never had been used. Perhaps that was an idea that was discussed and not implemented.
You only have to look at some two year olds to see how they have been brought up !

Visit site

Yeah then the Arabs got involved! They steroid everything! We got a 2yo filly from Godolphin - too big to race as a 2yo so she was sold - she was the size of a middleweight ridden show hunter! At the age of 2! Over the next 6 months she gradually turned into a bit of a wreck - steroid withdrawal. She was just turned away with us and didn't come right til the end of her 3yo year. Over a year on from being bought and given no more steroids.

You can't race on steroids in any country. But you can use them during training so long as they are outwith the withdrawal period on race day.

When Godolphin got done for it their horse that won the St Ledger tested positive in the yard. Sadly for St Nicholas Abbey he tested clean on the day of the race which denied him winning the British Triple Crown.

Clodagh

Visit site
When Godolphin got done for it their horse that won the St Ledger tested positive in the yard. Sadly for St Nicholas Abbey he tested clean on the day of the race which denied him winning the British Triple Crown.

I remember that, it was such an unbelievable shame for St Nicholas Abbey.

bonny

Visit site
I don’t think you can compete in flat racing without a helping hand with your youngsters, all the two year olds are just too mature for any other explanation

Clodagh

Visit site
I don’t think you can compete in flat racing without a helping hand with your youngsters, all the two year olds are just too mature for any other explanation

I rather trustingly hope that the 'nice' starters just feed them loads of concentrates and put them on a horse walker for hours. :-(

Mule

Visit site
Yeah then the Arabs got involved! They steroid everything! We got a 2yo filly from Godolphin - too big to race as a 2yo so she was sold - she was the size of a middleweight ridden show hunter! At the age of 2! Over the next 6 months she gradually turned into a bit of a wreck - steroid withdrawal. She was just turned away with us and didn't come right til the end of her 3yo year. Over a year on from being bought and given no more steroids.

You can't race on steroids in any country. But you can use them during training so long as they are outwith the withdrawal period on race day.

I was looking up my horse's sire out of curiosity. He was owned by the eldest son of one of the Saudi Kings. He was a flat racer. I know nothing about racing and I know you work in it so I was wondering what his stats mean.

The horse won 2 out of 9 races and only raced for 4 months. Do you know why he would have retired so early? Do they just retire them if they aren't good enough? This was in 2000 and AFAIK he's still alive. He was kept for breeding.

bonny

Visit site
I was looking up my horse's sire out of curiosity. He was owned by the eldest son of one of the Saudi Kings. He was a flat racer. I know nothing about racing and I know you work in it so I was wondering what his stats mean.

The horse won 2 out of 9 races and only raced for 4 months. Do you know why he would have retired so early? Do they just retire them if they aren't good enough? This was in 2000 and AFAIK he's still alive. He was kept for breeding.
What’s his name ?

Mule

Visit site
Is your horse a registered tb ?
No he's an ish. His background is a bit odd actually. His dam was brought in to a rescue centre when she was in foal with him. She was a full Irish draught. She had some sort of injury and died when my horse was 6 weeks old. He was blood typed so his parentage is definitely correct. It just seems odd to pay to get a mare in foal to a TB in another country (I'm in Ireland, the sire is in the UK) and then neglect the mare to the point that she ends up dying.

bonny

Visit site
I thought he wasn’t tb as there is no record of him siring tbs, sad start for your horse and his dam

Mule

Visit site
I thought he wasn’t tb as there is no record of him siring tbs, sad start for your horse and his dam
It was a sad start, you'd never know it by him though. He's turned out great. He has the TB athleticism and the draught temperament ( and appetite):p
Would the reason for his sire not siring tbs be because he wasn't a good racer?