USA! Outsider part 1,2,3... always an outsider?!

Firewell

Visit site
Glad you are enjoying yourself, sounds like you have settled in really quickly. Good luck getting out and about soon. Ginger bean looks a real cool dude -luv 'im. :)
Thank you, he is a dude :D

Wow, that all looks/sounds amazing!!! :eek:
It is really nice but really different!

I don't know your history, how come you moved yourself and the smart ginger boy out there?

Great photos :)

ps Somerford Park has two of those water cannon irrigators. Impressive, aren't they?
They are amazing, I have never seen them before! My husbands American and he wanted to go back to the states and this is where we choose :). Jae came because I couldn't bear to leave him behind! I'm so glad he is here, he is helping me to settle.

Another fascinating update - thank you! Jae looks very smart indeed, and I look forward to seeing your amazing trailer and truck when you get it ;)
Thanks! Just need to decide what to get now, keep changing our minds!

Squeal!!!! I'm so chuffed you took him with you! And that there is another displaced Brit haha, how many of us in comp riders are there? You, j1ffy, me? He looks fantastic! And you sound perky from your post too. I did a hunter show this weekend as NZ likes that discipline too and it was actually super fun? I think you'll find that you travel further but for great shows? I've been reading that eventing blog, the one about insanity in the middle? And that's what I gather from that. Has your tack come yet? Are you managing with blankets , wraps and cross ties tehehe
Displaced Brit I love that. The terminology is taking a bit of getting used to! It feels weird saying blankets and I keep getting mixed up with feeding meaning hay and not hard feed! At least the Americans call trailers, trailers and not floats tee hee. One less thing! It is mad that I live here now, over the other side of the world... Are you still near Aukland? My sister is there right now and she is feeling really homesick, she needs to find some friends :).

Jae looks suuuper smart with his clip!
Am loving hearing how its all going over there - how are hubby and baby settling in?

He looks fantastic and SO jealous of your facilities and Sun.Keep the updates coming.

Love the orange horse! And your updates!! Keep em coming!!! I think I'd be like a fish out of water! It's funny isn't it how it's so different over there? Hunters sounds like fun but a bit weird?! Think I'll stick to dressage for now :p

Sounds like you are having lots of fun and I LOL'd at the Mexican groom and clipping, I can just imagine it!

Have you met any other British since you've been over there? You are certainly not missing much, woke up this morning to a very dark, cold, dreary morning. Depressing :( Send us some of your Florida heat and sunshine! x

The more i read your updates the more i want to go! :biggrin3: It sounds fab and im glad everything is working out.
The hunter things sounds odd but i think my boy would love cantering round jumping with his head on the floor :tongue3: :biggrin3:

I'm guessing their trailers are bigger as well as their trucks ;)

Really fascinating to hear your insights and impressions, also photos - thanks for posting, keep them coming :)

PS Jae looks soooo smug!

Loving the updates - Jae looks cracking with his clip :)

Great update, really nice to her about the different competions. Lovely photos and Jae is looking very smug and settled.

With regards to travelling - welcome to the rest of the world ;) not everyone is lucky enough to have 10 events 5min down the road like you do in the UK ;)

Really interesting update and pictures, sounds like you're settling in very well. Great photos, enjoy :)

Fab update. Enjoy the sunshine, its freezing here.

I've heard hunters competitions mentioned on here before. Some CR riders have done them I think...

I'm coming over to California for a couple of days at the start of Dec, but its San Fran, which is the other end from you, isn't it? I could have brought you out things if you needed it..

It's going to be a huge benefit to me that you're already there so that when I have to move out, rather than this crazy back and forth madness, you will already know what's going on!!! :p

I've said it already but he looks so handsome in that first picture x

I was in Cali last week and I thought of you about you and how you must be getting on. We travelled around between Big Sur, Yosemite and Nappa. I can't wait to hear about the amazing hacking, it's looks like you can just go for miles and miles. Isn't the weather fabulous though, while we are here and braced for snow. Jae looks amazing.

Twit-er-whoo, doesn't he look amazing all clipped out!?

Another great update, I can't wait to see pics of your new trailer/truck combo and to hear your adventures once you start getting out and about!

I vote Dodge 3/4 diesel. Best. Truck. Ever. And get a gooseneck, you won't regret it. Go big or go home. (Don't underestimate the driving - there are good reasons they don't tow with cars and it's not all about the gas.)

You should try to get to HITS Indio.

Lovely to get such a happy update. Jae looks really well - and has been beautifully clipped out.

Looking forward to seeing your truck and trailer!

Great pics ! He does look very handsome clipped out.

I've seen jumping on tv from over there before and I always wondered what the hell was going on with tiny jumps and horses with no contact, loping along, and thought their showjumping was strange, now I will know for future its hunter classes :)

I had a Ford F-250. I looooooved that truck and miss it dearly.

Good luck with truck hunting.

So glad he is settled well and things are going well for you :) we too ventured to a local "dressage show" at the weekend. I saw about 20 people which was classed as "busy". Tests are very different. How exciting getting a trailer. Good luck with your first outings and report back so we know what to expect!!!

I think he looks SO smart all shaved! I also think you should take him hunting, and then report back :D

How much would it cost to get the Mexican guy over to do mine, that clip is amazing! :D

Thanks for the updates they are so interesting who would have thought things would be so different! Jae looks amazing with his clip bless him :) Glad you are both having fun

:eek:Great update! :D Reminds me so much of the one year I spend in Cali. I could barely afford a few lessons...
I do remember being amazed at what people in the UK consider a "towing vehicle"! :eek: :D

Firewell

Visit site
Hello to the ginger pony! Really interesting to read this, and fine out how things are over there. He is bald! Looks great though. Sounds like you will have a lot of fun in the summer, report back!
Ha he is bald lol, he pulls it off though I think :p.

Jae looks suuuper smart with his clip!
Am loving hearing how its all going over there - how are hubby and baby settling in?
Thank you, we are doing OK! We are all moved into our rented house now and our furniture is here from England which helps. I do feel a bit like a fish out of water but i'm sure that will get better :).

He looks fantastic and SO jealous of your facilities and Sun.Keep the updates coming.
Hee hee the sun is amazing, it is like I have forgotten about winter already, v strange!

Love the orange horse! And your updates!! Keep em coming!!! I think I'd be like a fish out of water! It's funny isn't it how it's so different over there? Hunters sounds like fun but a bit weird?! Think I'll stick to dressage for now :p

Sounds like you are having lots of fun and I LOL'd at the Mexican groom and clipping, I can just imagine it!

Have you met any other British since you've been over there? You are certainly not missing much, woke up this morning to a very dark, cold, dreary morning. Depressing :( Send us some of your Florida heat and sunshine! x
California :p, the sun is amazing... it is my favourite thing. It is not too hot either and it is dry not muggy and sticky. It is gorgeous it feels like it warms your bones. It is taking a bit of getting used to, mainly because I don't have any friends or family. However the area is lovely and characterful... I really cannot complain. x

The more i read your updates the more i want to go! :biggrin3: It sounds fab and im glad everything is working out.
The hunter things sounds odd but i think my boy would love cantering round jumping with his head on the floor :tongue3: :biggrin3:
He would be fab at it, they love them to be good looking and do nice round jumps so he would probably suit it down to the ground! Jae is a bit too upright in his way of going and in his jump but I may give it a go!

I'm guessing their trailers are bigger as well as their trucks ;)
No not really. The two horse trailers are about the same as an Ifor although I don't know if they are built sturdier, I haven't looked up close yet. The goosenecks are amazing and they def need something huge to pull them! People seem to have a mix here of small trailers and large ones depending on their needs I guess.

Really fascinating to hear your insights and impressions, also photos - thanks for posting, keep them coming :)

PS Jae looks soooo smug!
Thanks I'll try :D. He is sooooo smug, he radiates contentment which is lovely <3.

Loving the updates - Jae looks cracking with his clip :)
Thanks, I never got him that smart when I clipped him ha ha.

Great update, really nice to her about the different competions. Lovely photos and Jae is looking very smug and settled.

With regards to travelling - welcome to the rest of the world ;) not everyone is lucky enough to have 10 events 5min down the road like you do in the UK ;)
So I am learning! We don't know we are born in England with our amazing unaffilliated and affilliated competition circuits, make the most everyone!

Really interesting update and pictures, sounds like you're settling in very well. Great photos, enjoy :)
Thank you :)

Fab update. Enjoy the sunshine, its freezing here.

I've heard hunters competitions mentioned on here before. Some CR riders have done them I think...

I'm coming over to California for a couple of days at the start of Dec, but its San Fran, which is the other end from you, isn't it? I could have brought you out things if you needed it..
Ah that is so kind :), if we were closer there are a couple of things I can think of (crumpets, PG tips ha ha). We are about 5hrs south of San Fran. We did the drive up there for the weekend and it is lovely. I hope you have a great time :).

It's going to be a huge benefit to me that you're already there so that when I have to move out, rather than this crazy back and forth madness, you will already know what's going on!!! :p

I've said it already but he looks so handsome in that first picture x
Thanks! I didn't reply to your FB message, got distracted by Billy! I took it with my phone can you believe it, what a freaky shot! x

I was in Cali last week and I thought of you about you and how you must be getting on. We travelled around between Big Sur, Yosemite and Nappa. I can't wait to hear about the amazing hacking, it's looks like you can just go for miles and miles. Isn't the weather fabulous though, while we are here and braced for snow. Jae looks amazing.
I do NOT miss the English winter at all :p. Oh I so want to see those places! We haven't had the time to go more North than San Fran yet. I am dying to see Yosemite. Thank you, I think it suits him here :).

Twit-er-whoo, doesn't he look amazing all clipped out!?

Another great update, I can't wait to see pics of your new trailer/truck combo and to hear your adventures once you start getting out and about!
Thanks, I'll probably be dead nervous but excited on our USA comp debut, bring it on! Can't wait :D.

I vote Dodge 3/4 diesel. Best. Truck. Ever. And get a gooseneck, you won't regret it. Go big or go home. (Don't underestimate the driving - there are good reasons they don't tow with cars and it's not all about the gas.)

You should try to get to HITS Indio.
Yeah I guess when you have to drive such long distances you want to do it in safety and comfort. Apparently the Dodge will tow the trailer I am thinking of like it is a matchstick. I'm also going to look at the Ford F150, that has good write ups for towing. Not sure about the gooseneck, i'd love one but not sure I can justify the price for one horse. I need to go and look at them. Next thing on the list once we have the truck (still in a hire car at the mo!).

Firewell

Visit site
Lovely to get such a happy update. Jae looks really well - and has been beautifully clipped out.

Looking forward to seeing your truck and trailer!
Thank you, we are happy for the most part. Just get a bit lonely for my friends and family sometimes but Jae is soo good at helping me meet people and keeping me sane.

Great pics ! He does look very handsome clipped out.

I've seen jumping on tv from over there before and I always wondered what the hell was going on with tiny jumps and horses with no contact, loping along, and thought their showjumping was strange, now I will know for future its hunter classes :)
I know odd! It is a showing class, it just takes a bit of getting used to seeing a showing class with small jumps!

I had a Ford F-250. I looooooved that truck and miss it dearly.

Good luck with truck hunting.
Another one that is on the list to look at! :D

So glad he is settled well and things are going well for you :) we too ventured to a local "dressage show" at the weekend. I saw about 20 people which was classed as "busy". Tests are very different. How exciting getting a trailer. Good luck with your first outings and report back so we know what to expect!!!
I think at this rate you will be out before me! I don't think comps start here untill March time! It is so bizarre isn't it. They had 7 entries in one class and they were so chuffed. I'm expecting some first place ribbons ha ha ha.

I think he looks SO smart all shaved! I also think you should take him hunting, and then report back :D
Maybe I will! I think I will go to the meet first and check it out :D. I bet it is so different, I wonder how big the field generally is. They don't hunt foxes they hunt boar I think or coyote lol.

How much would it cost to get the Mexican guy over to do mine, that clip is amazing! :D
I know so cool, he was 130usd to do a whole clip! I was thinking crikey hopefully he won't need doing again for that price! It did take the guy quite a long time. He clipped him, then bathed him in the hot wash (spoilt blimin horse) and then clipped him again to get rid of any tram lines. Much better than my 2hr attempt last year at a chaser clip :p.

Great report, and horse looks lovely. If you can get to about 4 competitions that isn't bad. You could try the hunter showing, just for a change, but it is true that it is taken very, very, seriously.

I remember a telephone call with my sister about a tow car for a trailer in the USA. It was an odd discussion
due to cultural differences.
Yes v strange. We went car hunting for a 4x4 suv first of all and I was looking at the sort of thing we would tow with in the UK until I got warned off. The jeep grand cherokee. They said we could try and find a 4x4 v8 one but that even then they wouldn't recommend towing 'live' weight with it. So different.

Thanks for the updates they are so interesting who would have thought things would be so different! Jae looks amazing with his clip bless him :) Glad you are both having fun
Thanks! Yeah so different but then in some ways the same! I'm baffled but i'm getting used to it, I called overreach boots bell boots the other day :eek:.

:eek:Great update! :D Reminds me so much of the one year I spend in Cali. I could barely afford a few lessons...
I do remember being amazed at what people in the UK consider a "towing vehicle"! :eek: :D
Ha ha! God that reminds me of one lady in England at a yard I was at who towed with one of those old VW Polo estates! It is expensive here for some things that we take for granted. Where are the £15 good old RC clinics when you need them!

noodle_

Visit site
Thanks for the update!!!

love reading them - so jelous that you now live in the states - id love to leave the uK behind!!!!!

looks fab, yard looks amazing and cracking clip!!! wow!!

Caol Ila

Visit site
The trailers there tend to be heavier and I think there is something technical about them, the way they are balanced or the braking system or something, which makes it a very very bad idea to tow them with a normal 4x4. I was *horrified* when I moved here and saw people towing horses in things like Passats and small 4x4s. But apparently Euro-trailers are quite different and it wasn't as stupid as it looked. ;)

I towed a two horse slant load bumper-pull that had tack/dressing room, with my F-250. Never felt I needed a gooseneck. I had a camper shell over the bed of the truck, which to me was more useful than a gooseneck trailer, but it all depends on what you need and how many shows you are going to do, versus other things you might want the truck for.

I miss that truck.

36_504361598255_3420_n_zps5f4513c7.jpg

Circe

Visit site
The trailers there tend to be heavier and I think there is something technical about them, the way they are balanced or the braking system or something,

do they use electric braking in the USA? A lot of people here in Australia tow with electric brakes, and are surprised with us for not using them.
OH (mechanic ) says that in the UK cars are set up, so the axel doesnt move side to side, but in other countries there car are set so the axel does have side to side movement, and that movement is then transferred and amplified to the trailer on the back. I'm guessing you'd then want something bigger/ heavier/ more powerful to control that.
kx

prosefullstop

Visit site
Never say never re: the hunters. The first time I saw a hunter class (at the Hampton Classic) I wondered why the horses looked like they were going in slow-mo, thinking maybe the ground was really soft or something. But then a lovely photographer enlightened me. Anyway, I did end up doing a couple of hunter classes before I got pregnant two years ago. I entered the 2'6 adult class at a schooling show, and I rode with a deep seat, short reins etc. and I'm sure got laughed out of the ring :D

Hunters are taken very seriously, though, especially the $$$ hunter derbies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaKaLwvIOCg

There's also a lot of controversy regarding doping in the hunter world, which is starting to get more exposure. And I still can't get my head around the prevalence of standing martingales in hunter classes!