Use of calmers ??

eggs

Visit site
Whilst digging out a deep litter bed this morning I had plenty of time to think and I got to wondering about the increased use of calmers.

A few years ago we had hardly heard of them but now they are everywhere. I understand the science behind magnesium but are they:

- used because too many horses are doing too little work on too much feed ?
- work because WE feel more relaxed if the horse has had a calmer ?
- just a fad ?
- needed because horses are more stressed than before, maybe due to more prevalence
for competition horse breeding ?

Any thoughts ?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Well Biscuits is too hipper without magic calmer tried 1 a day not enough he is to sharp springy and spooky def better and more manageable on calmer 2 x day different horse
and he is on fibergy and nuts with a little bran thus no speed feed,

Damnation

Visit site
It depends on the horse.
Current horse is fed next to nout, on soaked hay and turned out, worked 4-5 days per week. Yet is still as high as a kite so I put her on magnitude and it works.
I did however rule out everything else for her behaviour.
Other horses I do think its a case of people pumping full of feed and hayledge and not getting enough work.

BigRed

Visit site
I think it is a mixture of many things. I think many horses are ridden by less experienced people. A lot of people have competition bred WB's who have large amounts of TB blood in them that can be too sharp for the average person. I also think the media convinces us to feed our horses far too much unsuitable food.

Damnation

Visit site
I think it is a mixture of many things. I think many horses are ridden by less experienced people. A lot of people have competition bred WB's who have large amounts of TB blood in them that can be too sharp for the average person. I also think the media convinces us to feed our horses far too much unsuitable food.

I agree with the feed.
The amount you have to apparently feed is astronomical :eek:
I only feed straights myself, don't trust these mixes etc. ( I am 19 but sound like a 89 year old when I say that!!)

Kenzo

Visit site
Good question and some good points made there, although I've only ever used a calmer on one of my own horses which is my current horse, I use Relax Me but this is used to help calm his hormones rather than anything else, that is why he has excitable behaviour.

I feed according to work, he has a high fibre low sugar/cal diet.

Doesn't make any difference to my nerves if he's on it or not, as I ride him when he's not been on it as well, really depends on what mood he's in to be fair.

He's not kept in a stressy enviroment either but yes I agree he no doubt gets himself worked up due to the way he is rather than the enviroment he's kept in.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Top spec calmer worked wonders on my new gelding. It was like magic. I kept him on it for 5 months then a month ago took him off it and he's still fine. If he gets jittery again then I will know what to do!

Piglet

Visit site
Thank God for calmers!! Without them my boy would be a nervous wreck, I have used every single calmer on the market and none have worked, he is now on a magnesium supplement from Natural Horse Supplies and IT HAS WORKED. :D:D

Cadburys_addict

Visit site
I used calmers on my horse whilst I had to ride him for short periods whilst on box rest and it did help to take the edge of him as he was very very on his toes.

He is still fed magnesuim (pure magnesium and not the specific calming supplements) as he has unfortunately had lami previously - so not fed to him for behaviour issues.

I think they can be useful but they should be used in conjunction with the correct feeding and exercise programme- but in the circumstances that I needed a specific calmer they really helped me out.