Use of stable boots for a filled leg

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Possibly a stupid question but just want to check...

Background: 9yo Suffolk, otherwise healthy had cellulitis in rear right pastern followed by dermatitis, caught very early but treated with antibiotics for 6 weeks. Swelling only started after 4 weeks. It improves with exercise, particularly on hard ground but the leg fills again on standing. Rain is restricting turnout. Vet advised to bandage when in, to support but was happy to stop ABs and treat as a cosmetic problem. There is no lameness, no sign of pain and horse is very well and happy.

To make it easier for livery yard staff I bought some stable boots so they don't have to struggle to bandage in the dark. I was intending to leave them on pretty much all night as we had with the bandages but (and this is what I'm now nervous about) advice on boots says to start with 30mins of use and build up. They are Woof Wear bioceramic boots.

Can I put them on overnight or just the half hour recommended on the packaging then bandage???

Sorry for the long message for what I'm pretty sure is worrying about nothing!

MuddyTB

Visit site
I don't have the Woof boots but I have Back on Track ones which use the same ceramic technology and I leave those on my TB all night.
I didn't build him up as far as I can remember.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Thanks both. Herbs ordered and I'm going to use the boots overnight. They look just like an expensive alternative to bandages and gamge.

I'll ask the staff doing the late night checks to check him more carefully the first night and morning walk up (they walk / trot up any horse on treatment so he's been getting checked every morning for any hint of discomfort)

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Hello. Quick update, the weather has not been kind to those needing turnout so his fat leg has been fat regularly, he's been a little stiff but generally well. He has tolerated the boots on all night and much of the afternoon.

This week there has been a significant improvement with the swelling. It hasn't gone completely but it is massively better. I think this is at least partially due to the cleaver and marigold supplement from hilton herbs.

Have to admit, I didn't think it would work but it has, and quicker than everyone thought it would.

Bionic Boy

Visit site
I use the woof bioceramic boot, I never started off only using it for half an hour, went straight from bandaging all night to the boot all night and it hasn't been a problem.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Filled legs is a huge sign of a sluggish kidney/liver/immune/lymph system. Especially if antibiotics have been used.

If you continue to have problems definitely keep up the herbs - try also Restore fluid by Equimins or Trinity Consultants L94. Try a detox as well for 10 days to help the body sort itself out. Two horses of mine were like this until someone gave me the same advice and it was amazing. Now I detox twice a year no matter what for my three.

ohmissbrittany

Visit site
I really like simple quilt/stable wraps. The problem is that you really need to be spot on with application and removal, it does no good for them to have on for longer than about 10 hrs. During active issues (ie new mud fever, cellulitis or a kick) "sweating" the leg helps. You cant get furacin in this country but apparently folks do it with aloe gel- coat the leg with loose plastic over the goop and thena pressure wrap. Furacin is an antibacterial that generates heat but I've also used with Epsom salt, Ice Tight (clay) nd other drawing agents with success.

If she has a sluggish circulatory system (past cellulitis leaves them prone to more), or if it is consistently that single leg rather than both fonts or both hinds, this is cause for concern.