Used Equilab for the first time...

albeg

Visit site
No it's definitely not a speed thing - it's done using the phone's gyroscopes to detect the horse's motion. But I guess there's more variation in how horses move than can be accommodated by their software at present... I can see why it might struggle with my ponies, who are fast moving, bouncy little monsters with short legs and fast strides. I'm not so sure why it would struggle with a nice normal TB type - but that's tech for you... Great when it works, rubbish when it doesn't!

Possibly a positioning thing. Mine doesn't do very well if I have it in a gilet/jacket pocket.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Possibly a positioning thing. Mine doesn't do very well if I have it in a gilet/jacket pocket.

Mine does equally well in my jeans or my gilet on Carrot, and equally badly on the ponies. I thought that too, but I experimented and no joy!

I mean, I'm not surprised about Dae - he's like a cartoon with legs flying in all directions! I can't imagine the data is easy to interpret.

albeg

Visit site
Mine does equally well in my jeans or my gilet on Carrot, and equally badly on the ponies. I thought that too, but I experimented and no joy!

I mean, I'm not surprised about Dae - he's like a cartoon with legs flying in all directions! I can't imagine the data is easy to interpret.

There goes my theory so!

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I have tried inside breast pocket on gilet or jacket, side pockets on above, front pocket of jods, phone holder on side of leg on jods and down the side of my boot. Every time it thinks I am cantering when I am trotting.

I wondered if we weren't bouncy enough having a long level stride.

huskydamage

Visit site
I used to use Endomondo a few years ago and then it started failing on me so I gave up in the end - is it worth giving another try?
I like it the gps can drop sometimes though and you'll get a stupid speed reading that you did 40mph or something 😂 ive run it alongside equilab and they give v simar distance

skint1

Visit site
The safety tracking feature is monthly subscription. I think it was £6.99 a month last time I looked so I didn't bother

I paid the yearly subsription but then I realised that in order for my OH to track my rides he had to join too and he didn't want to, so a couple of my other friends who are also users of the app track my rides (they have free membership, so I can't track theirs)

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
I paid the yearly subsription but then I realised that in order for my OH to track my rides he had to join too and he didn't want to, so a couple of my other friends who are also users of the app track my rides (they have free membership, so I can't track theirs)
I'm thinking of paying for the tracking feature, to track me would DSW have to just have the app to watch me or does he need to pay the subscription too?

Landcruiser

Visit site
Where we live we have very poor satellite coverage so it often loses the GPS signal which is irritating but no reflection on the app itself. I like it, and as others have said it can get a bit obsessive - I actually think it's made me ride more, to clock up those miles!

skint1

Visit site
I'm thinking of paying for the tracking feature, to track me would DSW have to just have the app to watch me or does he need to pay the subscription too?

I think if he just joins the app he can see you, as my friends who have the app but don't pay can see me on my hacks but I can't see them on theirs til afterwards

scats

Visit site
This was mine from the other day. Shes just being bought back into work after injury but it picked up the spook we had!

My friends cob did this the other day. She’s walking him at the moment as he’s had all winter off, but the sod took off across the field and tried to get out out of the gate. She came to show me the equilab map image afterwards in fits of giggles. Lovely looping walking lines and then an about turn and flash of orange across the screen!

Joyous70

Visit site
I love mine, although it has made me realise that in a 30/40 minute session i do much more walking than I thought, need to up my game.

I mentioned equilab to my Step Son's Girlfriend the other day, my step son thought it was a great idea, especially the tracking part of the app, as he says if they both subscribe he knows how much time he has left in the pub before he needs to head off home :eek::D

Follysmum

Visit site
I have tried most apps and have found ViewRanger the best. If riding somewhere new you can pinpoint and mark where you started and you can see on the screen to find yourself back again. Also it picks up all tracks in the woods and I find that invaluable in kings forest especially, I would get lost without it . A normal map hasn’t got them marked.

albeg

Visit site
I have tried most apps and have found ViewRanger the best. If riding somewhere new you can pinpoint and mark where you started and you can see on the screen to find yourself back again. Also it picks up all tracks in the woods and I find that invaluable in kings forest especially, I would get lost without it . A normal map hasn’t got them marked.

ViewrRanger is very cool, you can download OS maps/check grid references etc.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Started using it again and disappointed as I was last time :( I appreciate I'm in the new forest but I ride largely around the outskirts and the gps is absolutely rubbish. Didn't even manage to track any real lines of my 2 hr ride this morning. Not even the ones in civilisation!!

gryff

Visit site
I love it. Only for the fact that it tells me I've burnt 970 calories for sitting on my backside and enjoying the countryside for three hours😂😂😂
It has worked really well for me. Tracked my ride perfectly, even noting that I went on the left hand side of a bridle path on the way out, the opposite side on the way back. Fairly accurate judging of trot and canter, too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190324-140408_Equilab.jpg
    Screenshot_20190324-140408_Equilab.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 15

tda

Visit site
I've just downloaded Endomondo, as I came across the #hack1000 miles thing and wanted something to monitor it on.
My phone however is not impressed, something about overlay screens, and I can't fathom it out yet 🤔

JFTDWS

Visit site
I suspect that your phones gyroscope has had it... it picks my hacks up perfectly but thinks that I drive (carriage) everywhere in walk...! Still good for speed/times/distance so I stick with it. X

That may be the case as it's changed recently and the app hasn't (well, not that recently!) - but there are still issues with the data analysis from gyroscopes as mine's accurate on one, and less accurate on the other two.

The compare function has also gone a bit weird - mine is now comparing only my last session's data (it's really obvious when you do a slow hack the day before or fast work as her training looks completely different!), despite saying it works off the last 30 days worth of data.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I suspect that your phones gyroscope has had it... it picks my hacks up perfectly but thinks that I drive (carriage) everywhere in walk...! Still good for speed/times/distance so I stick with it. X

I ran some diagnostics and nothing came back but it's a fairly new phone so I could take it back if it's faulty.

I already have an app I use for hacking which gives me speed, times and distance includng average speed, top speed, times for mile splits and has better options to superimpose rides onto maps and work out different routes so I was really only trying equilab for schooling sessions and it's currently failing on that score.

zaminda

Visit site
Criso what app are you using? I have used it since seeing this thread and on my two smaller ones I apparently mainly walk and canter! I do actually trot so that's a bit disappointing. I don't know if it's because one is a small new forest and the other a small Arab. I have a polar watch which tracks speed and distance so was hoping to use it for stride length and things but haven't worked that out yet!