Used saddle sale: now buyer wants refund! Would you?

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
OK:

I bought a (used) saddle a while ago; I bought it on one of the Secondhand Selling sites, and it was a particular brand of saddle (treeless) that if you know about these saddles, you will like them and will go to the ends of the earth to source one, especially in the smaller sizes. Please PM me if you want to know the make.

When I bought this (used) saddle, it was advertised on the second-hand site as a "16. Having previously ridden in a 17" exact same version of this particular saddle, I bought it for the price advertised which was £450, and brought it home hoping to use it on my youngster. I told the seller I was sure it would fit OK: and having paid for it and taken it away, we were both happy!

I put the saddle on youngster as soon as I'd got home, and (oh dear) immediately knew that it wasn't going to fit. It fitted her OK, but was too small for me which was a PITA. But I figured that (like the Barefoot treeless saddles) this was just due to the fact of their being a huge difference in sizing with these particular saddles, between the 17" which I'd had previously, and their 16" version.

So I immediately put the saddle up on a second-hand site which I've used previously, for the exact asking price which I'd just paid, i.e. £450. It never occurred to me to contact the seller for a refund OR to challenge them re. the size of the saddle! As far as I was concerned I'd bought a 16" saddle, which didn't fit. Period. I just mention this as an aside.

Anyway, on Bank Holiday Monday, someone about an hour's drive away, contacted me. Could they buy the saddle please and come up that day and collect, as it was "just what they wanted". They duly came, inspected the saddle, and proffered said cash of £450. I invited them to "sit on it just to make sure". The woman declined, said oh no thanks, no need, that it was for her kiddie anyway and they'd already got a saddle at home like this and no they didn't need to sit on it, it would be fine.

Fast forward till today: the woman has messaged me to say that they had not used it till now as they were "resting the pony and letting it settle" (obviously new??). Apparently they put the saddle on and "had to get off as they were so uncomfortable in it". They had also got the makers of these saddles (who are fairly local to the area) to come out and apparently they have said that it is a 15-inch and NOT a 16-inch! And that I have basically "mis-advertised" the saddle in saying it was a 16-inch. And therefore please could they have a refund!!

I have replied, just now within the hour: keeping as polite as possible, pointing out that when they were here I DID in fact, if they recall, invite them to "sit on" the saddle "just to make sure", and they declined. Also that I bought the saddle which was advertised, when I purchased it, as a "Sixteen Inch" saddle. I was not trying to deceive anyone, I just didn't know! Also that is now some SIX WEEKS since the transaction and that they were at liberty to put the saddle on the pony later that day or week to make sure it fitted!

FFS.

I don't have the £450 anyway; all spent on a vets bill; if they press for a refund I can always offer to refund at a tenner a week, but seriously, I am not in a position right now to pay that sort of money!

WWYD peeps? Refund? or tell them to Jog On.........

Last edited:

flying_high

Visit site
Tricky, I sold something ebay on a similar basis. I sold it described as I bought it, and it turned out to be slightly different. I gave a full refund including postage, on basis of ebay regulations, and item not being as described.

I think technically if you distance sell you would have to refund.

However as they collected in person, and saw the item before paying, and were invited to sit in it, I’d say you don’t.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I'm with FF, sit tight. had they come back to you immediately they might have more of a case although they should have sat in it when offered. I learned the hard way when buying secondhand saddles that people often don't know what they have and too many don't know how to measure an English saddle so I am very specific now about measurements and seeing measurements on sale ads. I know what company you mean and they should really stamp/label the sizes on their saddles.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I think I agree with flying_high, they had every chance to examine it before buying, and then they could have compared it with their existing one/tried it at home straight away. Six weeks on is a bit late to be wanting a refund imo. I'd sit tight and see if they come back to you.

blitznbobs

Visit site
If you advertised it as 16 and it’s 15 and they have a copy of that advert you don’t have a leg to stand on tbh... but you could do the same to the person you bought it off. One question tho - how do they know it’s 15 inch?

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Visit site
The item was NOT for sale on e-bay, which always penalises the seller every time!

I do not have any details of the ad from which I bought the saddle in the first place, the selling site deletes things automatically after 30 days, so that's no help at all, pity.

They know its a 15-inch as they had the maker's of these particular saddles out to ask them why it felt different to the 16-inch which they already have, they then told them that it wasn't a 16-inch but it was a 15-inch. But it was deffo advertised, and I bought it, as a 16-inch saddle. Shame I can't prove that.

IF the buyer had contacted me that evening and/or the day after saying it didn't fit, I'd have considered refunding her (but grudgingly I have to say, as she WAS invited to sit in it but declined)........ but six weeks down the line then I feel that's taking the yellow liquid.

Will see what transpires with this one. Like people have said, sit tight. OR offer to yes take the saddle back; she can drop it back to my yard, and I will then offer to pay her back at a tenner a week!! which seriously is all I could afford right now.....

Woah

Visit site
As a private sale (and considering whether there are any buyer/seller protective measures via website you used), the buyer is protected by law against misrepresentation. You sold a saddle for a certain size and it turned out to be a different size. However let's not forget that firstly they collected it in person which gave them an opportunity to view and check the size before leaving with it and secondly and most importantly they took six long weeks to come back to you about it. Based on this I do not believe they would have a leg to stand on legally. Whether a pony was settling or not any person in the right mind would try on pony straight after buying not weeks and weeks later!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Visit site
As a private sale (and considering whether there are any buyer/seller protective measures via website you used), the buyer is protected by law against misrepresentation. You sold a saddle for a certain size and it turned out to be a different size. However let's not forget that firstly they collected it in person which gave them an opportunity to view and check the size before leaving with it and secondly and most importantly they took six long weeks to come back to you about it. Based on this I do not believe they would have a leg to stand on legally. Whether a pony was settling or not any person in the right mind would try on pony straight after buying not weeks and weeks later!

Thank you....... yep, I've sat down and thought about it tonight, and SIX WEEKS is a very long time to come back and say oh dear the saddle doesn't fit.

I pressed hard for the woman buyer to sit in it and see for herself; but she said oh no its not for me its for the kiddie anyway so it won't matter. My impression was that she was buying it for the child to ride with.

My cynical little brain just wonders whether now, mebbe coming up to winter, she's a bit short of cash like we all are and wants her money to spend all over again and thinks she'll just have to press me for it and I'll hand it over!

I bought it in good faith as a 16-inch, and my understanding from the person who I bought it from was they'd bought it direct from the makers as a 16"......

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Given the above was it provided in writing from the manufacturers that it was a 15"?

I do think it is different that she collected, had time to inspect the product, could have measured it etc rather than a distance sell and 6 weeks is a long time.

lannerch

Visit site
I would be suspicious of the claim they had the maker come out and measure the saddle! Surely that would cost an arm and a leg as the saddle had not been purchased from them .

Lovethebeach

Visit site
Plus, unless you have put ID on the saddle when you had it, how do you know that the saddle she is trying to get you to have back is the same saddle you sold ? cynical perhaps but the one they already had could have been the 15" and too small so bought yours.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I don't think they've got a leg to stand on after 6 weeks, plus having been to see it.
The fact that you bought it as 16" isn't relevant; if your buyers had a case against you, you could raise a case against the person who sold it to you, but just because you bought it as 16" isn't relevant to how you sell it.

meleeka

Visit site
Don’t refund.

A few points: 1. Can they prove in writing that it’s a 15”? 2. Can they also prove it’s your saddle they are trying to return. 3. They inspected in themselves and decided It would fit and 4. 6 weeks is a stupid amount of time not to have at least tried it on.

Nudibranch

Visit site
What is it with people who buy saddles? I've only sold a few over the years but it seems to attract more than the average quota of chancers (and in one case a downright lunatic). For the reasons outlined above, she doesn't have a leg to stand on. If she persists, send a polite reply outlining them all and then end contact. I'd say she's definitely trying it on.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’d firstly find out for sure if a 15” version exists.
IF it doesn’t then no absolutely not, just ignore them.
I think I’m the circumstances even if it does I’d be inclined to say no due to the amount of time that has passed and the fact she collected in person.

zaminda

Visit site
I wouldn't refund. She had ample opportunity to try it earlier and she didn't. As someone pointed out can she prove its your saddle she is returning and not another identical but smaller saddle? I have also not seen a huge amount of better quality treeless saddles available at 15" either and thought most of them started at 16".
Distance selling also doesn't apply as she collected it.

*Sahara

Visit site
If it's the saddle I think it is they weren't made in a 15"
I will PM you with the make of the saddle, nope I didn't think so either!
I would be suspicious of the claim they had the maker come out and measure the saddle! Surely that would cost an arm and a leg as the saddle had not been purchased from them .
Don’t refund.

A few points: 1. Can they prove in writing that it’s a 15”? 2. Can they also prove it’s your saddle they are trying to return. 3. They inspected in themselves and decided It would fit and 4. 6 weeks is a stupid amount of time not to have at least tried it on.
What is it with people who buy saddles? I've only sold a few over the years but it seems to attract more than the average quota of chancers (and in one case a downright lunatic). For the reasons outlined above, she doesn't have a leg to stand on. If she persists, send a polite reply outlining them all and then end contact. I'd say she's definitely trying it on.
This

HeroMaggie

Visit site
I've bought and sold quite a few saddles in my time. No chance I would entertain someone after 6 weeks. As others have said you are not running a business it was a private sale. Jog on I say!!

twiggy2

Visit site
What you were sold the saddle as and what you believed it to be are completely irrelevant.
That said I would not refund stating that they have had the saddle for 6 weeks and had plenty of time and opportunity to try the saddle long before now.
If they push it I would ask for written proof from the maker that the saddle is 15''

Fransurrey

Visit site
My thoughts, too. Ask them the name of the person they had to come out (if they come back to you) and then check with the company.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Tell em to sod off and see what happens - I doubt they can prove that the saddle is the one they bought from you and I doubt that they’ll take you to court but if they do go and take these arguments with you and you’ll probably win anyway

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Visit site
Thank you all!! Yes these were all my feelings too: good point particularly re. "proof" that the saddle IS actually (a) the one I sold them and (b) written proof from the manufacturers that it IS indeed a 15". I didn't know they did do a 15" TBH, their saddles normally start at 16" or so I thought - might just do a little "circuit test" and ring them as if I were a new customer and ask if this particular saddle comes in a 15" version..........

After six weeks then agree it takes the yellow liquid big-time. Not heard back from them - yet - my reply to their message did not indicate that I would be helpful!