Used Turnout Rugs for Sale - Wash or Not?

cowgirl16

Visit site
Pretty sure this has been done before but - if you were looking to buy a 2nd hand turnout rug - would you want it washed and re-proofed first? A part of me says yes - but several people I've spoken to say no. I've got one for sale, it's grubby on the outside - no thick mud, and a bit greasy on the inside. If I get it washed/re-proofed, it'll put the price up a lot. Views?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I wouldn't buy one that has been washed.

But nor would I buy one that has been used in the stable with stinky pee!

I would hose the outside off and dry though.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I have just had a huge clear out of rugs this afternoon and some of those that I bought for my big horse and certainly would swamp my old mare are nearly new. One has been used one season but is covered in mud, I will not wash before sale as I dont want to take all the waterproofing off it, so I have just giving it a brush down and so will sell as is. The other one he only wore twice so apart from one roll in the field it is as new.

I always leave off getting decent rugs washed and reproofed until absolutely necessary as I do believe they are never the same water proof'ness afterwards. If people want them clean if they buy them they can wash and it won't be me they complain to if they are not as waterproof!

Edited to say I would not sell rugs that stunk of pee though - that is just not fair and not very nice to go through the post either!

oldie48

Visit site
I've just pressure washed one, both inside and out. I put a little washing up liquid on the inside to help remove the grease. I wouldn't want to buy one myself that was stinky.

cowgirl16

Visit site
Thanks all - that's decided then - no washing. Seemed daft when I'm only asking £30, and wash/re-proof would add another £17! It's a good rug and doesn't pong, so I'll just give it a quick spruce up.

TPO

Visit site
I sell unwashed but also wouldnt buy a dirty rug so I'm a total hypocrite!

Pre covid I sold used rugs as collection only. When the buyer arrived I'd show them the rug, fastenings and open it all out to show its condition so they could decide to leave it if it wasnt what they expected/wanted.

I prefer selling in person because one persons version of "good used condition" isnt always another's.

Having said that I list my used rugs pretty cheaply so still a bargain for the new owner to wash and reproof themselves if required.

I do think that if you price a second hand rug with cleaning costs including theres often not much difference between that price and buying new.

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
Once you price it to cover the costs of cleaning and re=-proofing i am no longer interested. I only buy 2nd hand rugs i see in person as well. My opinion of what is acceptable and someone elses will likely be too different!

Reactions: TPO

J&S

Visit site
I looked at some unwashed rugs in a second hand tack shop at a local feed merchants just the other day. None were washed and frankly I didn't even want to get them out of the bags to check them out. I have bought several second hand from our super rug wash place though, all ready to wear.

tatty_v

Visit site
I’m afraid I only buy washed rugs but I expect to pay more than for an unwashed one. I also have my turnouts professionally washed once a year at the end of the season and have never had any issues with failed waterproofing (and some have been going 6+ years)