Using a crate

Cliqmo

Visit site
We had a huge crate for our puppy as we wanted to give her room to grow (she was an 8wk old vizsla in a crate 4ftx3ftx3ft
grin.gif
)

It really helped her with housetraining as she was very reluctant to go to the loo in her own little house, but it did mean she used to cry at 3am if she needed a wee, which always seemed quite distressing and also taught her that crying was effective
smirk.gif

Unlike many dogs she never got to the stage where she preferred the crate to anywhere else in the house and so once she was house trained we stopped using it
smile.gif

hyperion

Visit site
just by the biggest one you can find/afford!

i just went into pets at home and bought the biggest one they had! not sure how big it is but i can curl up in it and im six foot!

my twenty six inch tts lurcher is a year old and still uses it every day though i do close the door at night other wise he sleeps in the bed!
DSCN0279.jpg

cheers
hyperion

MurphysMinder

Visit site
As you can see I too went for the biggest crate I could get.

IMG_0746.jpg

Evie still sleeps shut in it at night (she is 15 months old) but during the day they now take it in turns to go in there.

Spudlet

Visit site
Oh bless - he looks so snuggly but also a bit like a pea in a bucket too
grin.gif
wink.gif

I have to sort a crate out for young Henry, he will have to cope with a more bijou residence though as otherwise I won't be able to fit into the kitchen!

Cedars

Visit site
They say it needs to be big enough for them to stand up and turn around in without bending - but they're realy expensive so we just bought the biggest one possible becuase she was gonna grow!

Be warned though - measure the space you want it to go in! And look at how it is made up - becase we had to change where we were gonna put ours because you had to lift it up on a diagonal and it woudnt open up where we wanted it to! Hope that makes sens xxxxx

CAYLA

Visit site
It's cayla as u can see
tongue.gif
I was not allowed caila according to Splotchy
frown.gif
tongue.gif

The crating really depends on the age and trainability of the puppy
grin.gif
big is a good idea to stick to the same crate as the puppy grows, but it's not neccesarily the most efficient for toilet training because it then gives masses of room to wee and pooh and toddle of to the other end of the crate, so for that reason it's best to start very small to encourage the puppy to hold on for longer.
Mind u I have about 20 crates of various sizes, mine are literally in a crate not hugely bigger than the dog it's self, I dont put them in humungus crates for the sake of space for them, and in general as Murphy's crate displays more often than not they tend to curl up in them not stretch out
grin.gif

Spudlet

Visit site
You can get internal dividers for them as well can't you? To block the end off so they can't wee at the far end then sit and snigger at you sticking their middle toes up
tongue.gif
, then move it as they grow?

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It's cayla as u can see
tongue.gif
I was not allowed caila according to Splotchy
frown.gif
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad to see you being obediant there Cala
tongue.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

I just bought the crate size recommended for greyhounds by Pets at Home when I got mine - its huge, god knows how I will fit it into my teeny caravan when I move
crazy.gif

Still cant stop Flick peeing in it when she thinks she has been there too long though
frown.gif

hyperion

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Oh bless - he looks so snuggly but also a bit like a pea in a bucket too
grin.gif
wink.gif

I have to sort a crate out for young Henry, he will have to cope with a more bijou residence though as otherwise I won't be able to fit into the kitchen!

[/ QUOTE ]

hes grown into it a bit more now! lol!
DSC01925.jpg

DSC01921.jpg