Using a pelham for the first time?

gentle_giant

Visit site
Does anyone have any tips regarding this, Ive been told my new horse goes best in a pelham, vulcanite one, he settles much better than with a snaffle.
Ive never used a pelham before so would like a few pointers regarding the curb chain or whether to use a strap instead etc

Thank you in advance!

hollyzippo

Visit site
Try it in the school first incase he objects! Mine had a Pelham in to go hunting (rubber one) instead of normal straight happy mouth. Was fine until I had to actually pull and then he just stopped dead and wouldnt move..... didnt like the curb chain so I took it off and then had no brakes! Came to a compromise with it on the loosest settings but if I used it again I would have a curb guard I think as was too severe for him.
Any reason why a pelham in particular? Bit of a jump from a snaffle, nothing in between to try?

gentle_giant

Visit site
Yes thats what I thought, well he is ridden in a snaffle but has been used by the whipper in of a hunt lately, they put him in the vulcanite pelham so that there was no chance of him stepping on a hound basically.

He settled really well in it, much nicer for the rider too as instead of pulling with a snaffle it took a lt less to stop. The horse apparantly was really happy in the bit and didnt play around with it like he does with the snaffle.

I just think sometimes its better to have a stronger bit and ask a little, than yank at a horse using a milder bit, not that snaffles are mild anyway with the nutcracker action.

miamibear

Visit site
Hmmm got same problem, im using a pelham for my hunting on Boxing day, trying it out on Sunday on a road hack, that it!! Goign to put curb on quite a mild setting.

Ive chosen a jointed one so its more like the bit he has in at the moment and hope for the best!!

Hopefully i wont have to use it but its there if necessary!!

xx

virtual

iamanicecube.myphotoalbum.com
Is he wearing a curb chain or leather curb at the moment? I'd be inclined to stick to what he's used to to start with. A chain has a more severe action than a leather or elastic curb, and you should always use a lipstrap with whatever you choose to keep it in the correct position and so you don't loose your curb chain if it comes off the hooks.

Is the horse ridden in roundings or two reins?

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
Lots of horses are much happier in a pelham. IMO it's much milder than a snaffle with a strong contact. Many classical dressage trainers are big advocates of the pelham.

I use an elastic curb strap rather than a chain or leather strap. Always use two reins so you get the proper independent action of curb and bridoon. Only use the curb rein when you need to - a squeeze to soften if they're resisting in the jaw should be enough for most.

Jointed pelhams kind of defeat the object of having a curb chain - as soon as you have any pressure at all on the reins the joint in the bit will bend and slacken off the pressure on the curb strap, negating it's proper effect. However some horses do seem to like jointed pelhams so i wouldn't discount them altogether.

virtual

iamanicecube.myphotoalbum.com
The curb chain should start to press on the chin groove when the bit is at 45degrees to the ground (as you pull on the bottom rein). You'll find some will have it looser if they don't like the action of the curb chain, but this increases poll pressure (as the bit can rotate further)

Bossanova

Visit site
What material is your snaffle? If it isnt rubber, perhaps try a rubber snaffle as he may like the material, not just the action.

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Thank you, how loose/tight is the curb chain supposed to be?

[/ QUOTE ]

I make sure I can fit two fingers flat between the curb strap and my horse's chin.

I've had quite a few horses who've gone much better when changed to a pelham... much softer in the jaw and lighter in the contact.