Using chains to improve hind leg action

Tennyson

Visit site
I'm in the process of rehabilitaing by young gelding post surgery (a deep plantar neurectomy and fasciotomy on his bilateral hindlimb suspensorys). Having never had experience of this kind of surgery before, I've taken much advice from my vet who recommened last week that we start increasing his workload as he's 100% sound now (oh yes-we can TROT now!!). One idea the vet recommened to get him using and engaging his hind legs more was to attach a small length of chain around his hind fetlocks - not as a weight but more for the noise, so I gather. Has anyone tried this method before? I'm not aware of any such items on the market but I would be very grateful for your ideas or suggestions!

_Acolyte_

Visit site
Yep I had a horse with what eventually turned out to be navicular, but this manifested itself through all kinds of problems with asymmetrical pelvis etc etc. My vet also suggested a chain around his hind leg to improve his movement.

There is nothing commercially available as far as I know - I bought a length of chain from Countrywide, and fastened it with a clip like a mountaineers karabiner?

Still got it in my tack box I think if you want me to post it to you
smile.gif

lizzie87

Visit site
surely it would be like a boot and after ten mins or so the horse woul dbe used to it and it would make no difference to stride? i dont know, as have no experience, but this is just my tohughts

teddyt

Visit site
Safer to use more traditional methods for hindquarter engagement, e.g. poles, transitions. Otherwise you might get bucked off. And the chain could rub. How is the horse supposed to understand that idea?

_Acolyte_

Visit site
The chain doesnt rub - trust me, I used it for a while
smile.gif
Neither did my horse show any inclination to buck me off because of it, although obviously that part cannot be guaranteed with other horses
smile.gif

teddyt

Visit site
If the idea is for the horse to enage more because of the noise then surely as lizzie says it will get used to the noise and cease to be useful. Wheres the evidence it works? Sounds like a good idea at first but thought through it isnt!

_Acolyte_

Visit site
No idea about the evidence, I would refer you to Three Counties Equine Hospital as they were the ones who advised me to do it
smile.gif
The horse is dead now anyway so I cant ask him
tongue.gif

teddyt

Visit site
If the theory is weight, maybe, but cant see how the noise can produce sustainable results. Vets arent always right but i guess you have to do as youre told! Hope the horse dint die because of the chain!

_Acolyte_

Visit site
No he died because of being permanently lame due to navicular - he was no companion animal (he hated being turned out with any other horse) and had no future. I made a very sad decision which was the best one for him

teddyt

Visit site
Good for you! Lame means pain and i admire people who can make that very hard decision for the good of the horse if they arent happy

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Haven't tried it myself, but I went to a British Dressage sports science seminar at the Equine therapy centre at Hartpury College a couple of weeks ago. They described using chains and weights on a horse's fetlock as part of the rehab process. Just an ordinary piece of chain by all accounts. Apparently the chain increased hock flexion and vertical 'lift'.

They showed us some vids of the horse on the treadmill and the effect was really noticeable. Good luck with your horse, hope he makes a good recovery.

TarrSteps

Visit site
It's a standard gaited (Saddlebred, Walkers etc.) trick to use chains and weights (and for the unscrupulous, soring) to accentuate leg action - they can even show in small chains, I believe. If you wanted to go through the trouble and expense I'm sure you could buy purpose made ones from the US.

I can see the reasoning and why it might work well in some cases but I can also see the danger that it doesn't *necessarily* accentuate the right/desired movement and so might possibly encourage some horses to just do the wrong thing more energetically. (For instance, instead of flexing the hock to step under the horse might, depending on conformation, rehabilitation etc. snatch its hock out behind and up instead.) As with all things, I guess, possibly effective when used with care and moderation and assessed on a case by case basis.
smile.gif

Edited for link: https://ehorseequipment.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=209&Page=2

I will say, their use is very controversial even amongst gaited horse people, at least in part because there has been at least one study that suggested even very limited use (days/weeks) can cause local inflammation and stress the joints. Now, that said, that's exactly the effect you want in physio, measured, targeted stress.

_jetset_

Visit site
Please can someone give me further information on weighted boots to help recovery from this type of surgery as my mare is now back in full work following it... Her hind leg is moving nicely, but I am finding it is taking quite some time to build up the muscle lost.

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
It may be worth speaking with Peter he would be better advising/referring you for physio - We used weighted boots with H when she was rehabbed after surgery - we used it under advice from Physiotherapist alongside physio programme - We worked her over alternate raised poles to strengthen the hind limb. She also had electro-pulse therapy on the right rump to build this up - this was all done on a daily basis.
Kate x

bailey14

Visit site
I sparked a huge debate about this in December last year regarding the use of a curb chain tied loosely with bailing twine around my horses fetlock which had been recommended by my chiropractor. I was even accused of being cruel to my horse! Since then the poster who protested so angrily against my idea and myself have resolved our differences. The idea of a chain is as follows: A process used in physiotherapy (both human and equine) where a light object is loosely tied around a joint is used to employ proprioception. Proprioception is what all living matter are born with and put simply is 'the knowledge of the relative position of neighbouring parts of the body'. It enables you to walk, stand, sit, crawl, run, walk in the dark, etc, etc. If you have a bad foot or leg you will take weight off that leg and put more weight on the other thus overworking the muscles and bones on the opposite leg. The same goes for a horse. If you put a chain around the fetlock of the bad leg, or a piece of rope, or baling twine or even a string of polo mints (it doesn't matter what the item is it does not have to weigh anything but the horse must be concious that it is there by feeling it somehow) then the horse will automatically start to use the muscles of the leg more by lifting the limb appropriately, which will improve muscle tone and help to aid recovery to that limb. This will prevent the limb from becoming asymetrical. Obviously this needs to be done in coordination with a physio and/or under veterinary supervision."

misst

Visit site
Thanks for that I was completely confused by this post - now I think I have a better understanding. It sounds very sensible the way you put it. I have to say I kept thinking it sounded very cruel and now realise why it is done
laugh.gif
This place is great for learning about random stuff
grin.gif

bailey14

Visit site
No problems Misst. That's why I love it on here, I love to be able to try to help people by drawing on my own experiences but its also really nice to be helped. Sometimes you feel like everyone is agaist you (most of all your horse) and its just nice to seek opinion from people who have been there/done that, especially if you really don't know what to do for the best. I love this forum.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Just to add, the controversial aspect of the use of "chains" (some aren't even chain, but wooden beads) in gaited horses is not over whether or not they work - they do - it's because some people, as in ALL spheres of equestrianism, have to take a relatively benign idea and make it evil. There is a world of difference between a light chain, not used with any other contraption or preparation, and the sorts of things abominable people get up to.

There are other kinds of proprioceptive (my favourite word
smile.gif
) retraining aids and processes available for horses as well, ranging from elastic "harnesses" to special surfaces for walking them on. TTouch is based to some extent on the idea of retraining the body's image (the most extreme from of proprioceptive problems is something like Phantom Limb Syndrome), as are, to be frank, many traditional horse training practices.

As anyone who has ever had physio themselves knows, the body is exceptionally good at either tricking or being tricked, depending on how you see it. It's been my experience un-addressed proprioceptive disorders are at the root of many training/behavioural issues, even ones which seem to crop up after a previously injured horse has been back into work for quite some time.

bailey14

Visit site
I agree with you Tarrsteps, someone always has to criticise and mostly its because they are ignorant (not ignorant nasty ignorant, what I mean is ignorant of the facts) through no fault of their own. I find the whole thing facinating. I was suprised to find that a curb chain weighing about 4 ounces would do anything for my horse when the pysio mentioned it to me until she explained in more detail.

I take it Phantom Limb syndrome is what you get when you have a limb amputated? I did not know that proprioception would be involved with this but I suppose it would be thinking about it.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Apparently it's the most extreme version of the brain's "body map" not matching up with reality, or at least that's one theory. Most likely it's a combination of factors contributing to it although, not surprisingly, apparently it's far more common when people have a limb amputated under anaesthetic rather than losing it "naturally".

I will duck and cover after saying this but much of the natural horsemanship (or what have you) ground work is a form of proprioceptive training. Like some forms of physio, it's a way of breaking down and drawing attention to small body movements, shifts of weight etc. starting with slow, small movements until the correct response becomes automatic. It's interesting how many horses with various problems can't, say, cross their front feet over to the same degree in both directions, or routinely stand with one foot "blocked" to the point where they react extremely when asked to move in a different way just because it feels "wrong" and unsafe. Many traditional skilled horsemen fix things like this almost without thinking, pushing a horse over or tapping a hoof, just because they've discovered it works.

Lots of the "touch" therapies also have aspects of this, as part of what they do is draw attention to a particular part of the body and encourage specific movements.

There's always the balance between "good tension", which focusses attention and produces (sometimes uncomfortable) movement, and relaxation, which allows the body to move smoothly even in possibly unfamiliar ways.