Using MSM For An Arthritic Dog

Annieann

Visit site
I would like to give my oldie some MSM as thought it may help her, as she is very arthritic. She is a working type labrabor and weights about 25kg.

Does anyone know how much I can safely give her?

Thankies !

brightmount

Visit site
I have started to give my dog Supplex, which is made by Aviform who also make Suppleaze Gold for horses. I have had such good results from Suppleaze Gold that I thought I would try the dog version:

http://www.aviform.co.uk/Store/Top-Dog-Products/Joint-Care/SUPPLEX-%E2%84%A2-CAPSULES

The MSM in each capsule is 300mg and I'm currently giving the loading dose of 4 per day, i.e. 1200mg. This will reduce to 2 per day or 600mg for maintenance.

I think you're right to have faith in MSM, in my opinion it is the most effective of the supplements for arthritis, though Supplex also contains Glucosamine and Chondroitin.

(Beware with a labrador not to use Rimadyl, it can cause severe liver damage in labradors and collies.)

Annieann

Visit site
Humm, thanks for that, will take a look at Supplex as it may be easier, although she does already take Seraquin for her joints.

I have had a good response with my pony using MSM, so thought I'd give it a go to see if it helps my oldie.

Annieann

Visit site
brightmount - Is Rimadyl's other name Cartrophen?

Also, why can you use Rimadyl for other dogs, but with collies and labs it causes liver damage. Or does Rimadyl cause liver damage anyway for all dogs?

brightmount

Visit site
Rimadyl is Carprofen.

You can find loads of stories on the internet about severe reactions and fatalities from this drug; labradors and collies seem to have the worst reactions. Here are a couple of links:

http://www.arthritis-glucosamine.net/article-detail.php?ID=132

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/pets-and-animals/rimadyl-carprofen/331570/

My last dog was given this drug for arthritis, and she died soon afterwards of kidney failure, I'm not saying it was related, but when you hear of other similar stories it does make you wonder.

Annieann

Visit site
Oh dear, my oldie has twice yearly Cartrophen injections, but never has had the tablets.

She is well in herself, apart from the arthritis pain in her hips and now in her shoulder. I will request a blood test I think to check up on her liver, just in case.

Thank you for all the info .... I had no idea.

brightmount

Visit site
Don't panic Annieann, Cartrophen (pentosan polysulfate sodium) isn't the same thing as carprofen (Rimadyl). I believe the injections are very effective. Sorry if what I mentioned was misleading.

Annieann

Visit site
No worries, brightmount, but that is a relief, ... fheww! I think I'll get her bloods checked anyway next time she goes to go to the vets, just in case.

The web links you posted were interesting reading, especially the arthritis one. I think the cartrophen injections aren't as effective as they were when we first started with them, that's why I thought I would give MSM a go. But I'm open to any suggestions you may have!

Thanks,
Annie

brightmount

Visit site
Well since I first posted on this thread my dog has really improved ... and it will probably either be down to the Supplex starting to work, or the Bioflow collar I got her that she has had on 3 days.

I have been taking her to hydrotherapy once a week in a deep pool, so she is swimming (some hydrotherapy pools are just tanks, this is a real swimming pool). I would highly recommend it for an arthritic dog, it really helps them loosen up. I go to Silverden in Heathfield (Sussex).

lizzieuk1

Visit site
as you;ve found the mixed supplement works v well, i would always advise using a mix of glucosamine, chondroitin and msm for arthritis treatment, in human trials its the combination that has been found to be clinically effective, fish oils are also effective.