Using my mare as a broodmare?

just_abi

New User
Visit site
Hi :)

I have recently bought an ex-racehorse (well she didn't even race as she didn't make the height and so was going to be shot!) I was just wondering if anyone could tell me more about her breeding and if using her as a broodmare could be a way to go? Conformation is good etc

Her Sire is Luso (GB)
Her Dam is Rosedean Dizzygal (IRE)

Damsire: Good Thyne (USA)
Sire of Sire: Salse (USA)

I would be so grateful of any light on her!!

Thanks, Abi x

Spring Feather

Visit site
She has a beautiful sports horse pedigree. Really nice indeed. Notable names in her pedigree, and ones you want to see in TBs being used as sport horse producers are; Princequillo, Sir Gaylord, Bulldog, Herbager, Hail to Reason. You would want to have her inspected and approved for breeding with one of the good WB registries so the foal gains full pink papers.

just_abi

New User
Visit site
She has a beautiful sports horse pedigree. Really nice indeed. Notable names in her pedigree, and ones you want to see in TBs being used as sport horse producers are; Princequillo, Sir Gaylord, Bulldog, Herbager, Hail to Reason. You would want to have her inspected and approved for breeding with one of the good WB registries so the foal gains full pink papers.

ooo exciting! Thankyou :)

just_abi

New User
Visit site
I agree with SF, especially in todays dire times, if you are going to breed at all, do it properly.

I completely agree and I'm against people who breed horses for the fun of it and who breed with a stallion from their friends down the road! It should be done properly hence why I'm trying to suss out bloodlines etc :)

popsdosh

Visit site
If you are breeding for yourself go for it . If you are looking to sell forget it as the cost will out way what you get back in the present climate!!!!

Alec Swan

Visit site
OP,

I'm going to put a downer on your plans. There are hundreds of middle-of-the-road mares, and I'm sorry but that's what your mare is, and they're being gifted to save on the disposal costs. We see adverts, and they're legion where horses, and some very smart sorts, were offered for thousands and are now a year after the opening of the advertisement, down to the hundreds. There are plenty of decent sorts which started out at £6k and are now being offered at £600.

The only possible light at the end of the tunnel, which I can see, is that for those with the courage to breed now or next year, then in 4 years time, there may be a market as there will be a serious shortage of well bred youngsters, but even that's a tenuous reason for taking the chance, I think.

We have 2 well bred 3 yo fillies and we're at the stage of gifting them to the right homes. We're not alone I fear. In your shoes just_abi, I would think VERY carefully before starting off on your journey.

Alec.

vanrim

Visit site
Yes I am sorry but I have to agree that unless you have an exceptional mare in terms of breeding and performance there really is no point in breeding.

Alexart

Visit site
Agree with the above totally, I wouldn't be breeding from a rescue mare unless you get her doing a job and she's really good at it to prove herself, irrespective of how good she is on paper and even with good conformation, off the track TB's are 2 a penny and with so many going for meat it really isn't a good idea to breed potentially more. Even if you put her to a top stallion and spent a fortune you would never make the money back, I've owned my own stallions and mares and I'm lucky if I break even, and that excludes my time!, when I sell youngsters as they really are vet bills with hooves, even if you're breeding for yourself you should always aim to breed something sellable just incase. Well done for saving her but just enjoy her for the moment and see if she excels at what ever you are aiming her to do first, then maybe rethink, will also give you time to save up as breeding is soooo expensive even when it goes to plan!!:rolleyes:

just_abi

New User
Visit site
To be honest that's what I've wanted to hear! She was going for meet and so we decided to have her as a low level riding club horse for our family, after hearing our vets success after buying a race filly at auction and finding out she had top bloodlines and then managing to breed from her and make half a million from her colt I thought I would just see if I had any such luck! I wouldn't breed from anything unless I knew for certain the foal would have interest from day one! She will instead be slowly broken and evented next season if all things go to plan :) thankyou all x

Spring Feather

Visit site
You were thinking of breeding a racehorse from this mare? Sorry, I was under the impression you were planning to breed sport horses. With those bloodlines I would not be trying to breed a racehorse from her lol.