Using OS maps on phone whilst riding

QuantockHills

Visit site
Thanks gamebird, hopefully it won't be needed constantly but when we got open sections on top of Exmoor there really is a need to look fairly frequently. Have bought a clear arm band which will help. Was thinking of strapping it to breastplate just in front of saddle. We will see !!
I wouldn't strap it to your horse just in case you part company....

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
If in a dodgy reception area you’ll get a helpful arrow to show you where you are, but not the map background to show you where the arrow is! Not a great deal of use without being able to see the map. The tracking is still working, as I can see the full route followed later when back with good reception.

Tarragon

Visit site
EE uses o2s network 😅
Well, Phones aren't my forte, but it was odd. The phone would show a couple of bars for signal strength, but I wasn't allowed to connect! So frustrating when I was trying to co-ordinate with the lovely people who were trying to meet us at the end of each day's ride, to give one if us a lift back to the start so we can bring our stuff along.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
If in a dodgy reception area you’ll get a helpful arrow to show you where you are, but not the map background to show you where the arrow is! Not a great deal of use without being able to see the map. The tracking is still working, as I can see the full route followed later when back with good reception.
Really?! VR/OA always shows the map (I’ve always found the OS app a bit clunky so never really got into it!)
We had zero reception in the woods that were our main hacking and it was v useful after I got lost in them until after dark (the whole your pony will take you home found in stories is not true 😅😅)

Parrotperson

Visit site
I will have the route on OS maps (will download onto phone so available offline) provided by guided riding lady. We have done it before, just a faff sometimes to look at phone (had it in pocket b4 ) so wanted to make it easier.!! Also have a guided ride booked in which will be lovely as can just follow and enjoy the scenery.
I use the app a lot having only fairly recently moved to Northumberland and not knowing my way and no one to ride with

The trouble with the route planner on OS Maps is that it won't always recognise bridleways or byeways. So you can't actually plan the route you want to take ahead of time. I emailed OS and they said it depends whether the bridleways or byways have been logged with them for the app. Many are on the app but no logged for the app. So take care there. Otherwise it's a huge help. Don't have it on all the time though otherwise you'll have a disappearing battery!!

teapot

Visit site
Really?! VR/OA always shows the map (I’ve always found the OS app a bit clunky so never really got into it!)
We had zero reception in the woods that were our main hacking and it was v useful after I got lost in them until after dark (the whole your pony will take you home found in stories is not true 😅😅)

Unless it's a map you've already downloaded to be viewable offline, the OS app does tend to stop working without a signal, or sometimes even if the signal's just weak ime

I'm Dun

Visit site
Unless it's a map you've already downloaded to be viewable offline, the OS app does tend to stop working without a signal, or sometimes even if the signal's just weak ime

I use it with mobile data turned off and no wifi and I get the full map and my location showing so that cant be right.

teapot

Visit site
I use it with mobile data turned off and no wifi and I get the full map and my location showing so that cant be right.
When using live maps or maps you've downloaded to be offline?

It definitely only happens when the app is relying on signal to download as you go in my experience. I've literally had the same experience as @Tiddlypom. You only have to read the reviews to know how buggy the app can be!

Flame_

Visit site
Handheld garmin e-trex on a short cord to a bum bag in case I drop it, and map in a plastic case. Husband has an awesome garmin watch that's really clear if you've gone off route, but they're over £800 😧

I'm Dun

Visit site
When using live maps or maps you've downloaded to be offline?

It definitely only happens when the app is relying on signal to download as you go in my experience. I've literally had the same experience as @Tiddlypom. You only have to read the reviews to know how buggy the app can be!

Live maps. I have been having major phone issues so have got a phone with no mobile data at the minute and its working fine and has been for about a fortnight. But I just look at it to see which way to go or where a footpath etc is. I'm not using it to log where I've been or anything like that.

minesadouble

Visit site
If you're going to do this regularly is investing in a GPS watch an option? I can input a route to my Garmin and it's so easy to follow when it's wrist based.

minesadouble

Visit site
I have a Fenix 6 pro Solar but used to have a Fenix 5 which did the job just as well and I'm assuming they will be relatively cheap if anyone still stocks them.
The Fenix 7 is out now so all older.models will be down in price 😊