Using Oxyshot for the first time

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Post inspired by the one below
smile.gif

I've bought a tube of Oxyshot to give to Dizz, Little Cob (more for my case as a paranoid mother than for the pony lol), and Big Cob, for when we go hunting. Not been before and I have a feeling it could be interesting
cool.gif

The question is: should we try it on the horses before The Day, or trust that it will be okay then?

I'll ask my vet as well, but interested in your responses.

Note: we also have Nupafeed (magnesium replacement) that I could start feeding them a few days before hand.

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
I thought it was for you!!!
e020.gif

Personally I would try it at home first - obviously the atmosphere isn't going to be the same but I would want to 'feel' and see the difference in them, if it noticably wore off, how long before it worked etc etc

But then I have no life.................
crazy.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif

Pinkpeeper

Visit site
1st time i used it (on the day) i thourght it was brill. Never noticed a wearing off time but did top up a few hours later just in case.

However i have real problems getting it in now, pony far to smart and just waits a min then spits it out. Its not like a wormer, its liquid and you arnt supposed to give hard feed for it to work so no mixing it with feed. Also the tube is huge, i can only just get my hand round it and its a bit big for little ponies mouth.

It might be best to practice before hand to make sure you can administer it and keep it in mouth.

BuzzLightyear

Visit site
Its worthwhile giving the oxyshot helpline a call to check the dosage amount dependant on how excitable dizzy and the cobs get.

I found that it works well but did give a larger dose than specified on the tube after speaking to the helpline

xx

Cobbysmum

Visit site
I have just bought some oxyshot cos I'm fed up of Ben leaping sideways in this wind which never seems to drop. Haven't used it yet as he lost a shoe but am interested to hear of those who have. A friend of mine used it for clipping and it worked and another friend for jumping, I think it works off after around 3 hours, in her case it was half way through a working hunter course!

sye777

Visit site
I've used it twice on the very spooky tense TB whom magic has not touched the sides of! He had to be trailered alone to a huge show and had only ever been boxed before! I was very impressed, same sharp horse but not silly. I then used it again with him for a smaller show but didnt notice any difference with him, very tense and not listening. I may have been unlucky second time and he may have just been having one of his "special" days!!
One tip though is be to be ready when you give the dose as it is a liquid and not a paste so can take the horse by surprise having it squirted down their throat!
I am currently trialing Horse First Relax me (30 day money back guarantee!!) heard loads of positives so will let you know how we get on if interested!

Old Bat

Visit site
Hi, I've used it on my little cob for hunting last year, worked first time then not so effective and ned needs to be calm for dosing, its a big syringe and a liquid that shoots up into the back of the mouth. Have also tried magic calmer which is easier to administer and like Oxyshot took the edge off for the first time, haven't had the need to try it again yet....

Mike007

Visit site
PLease ... It is only slightly salty water with a big helping of bogus science and advertising hype thrown in for good measure.Any effect it has on a nervous excitable horse is purely due to wetting a dry mouth(which racehorsetrainers have been doing for centuries).

Mike007

Visit site
Well almost(and I hate myself for saying this)but wet the mouth of a stressed excited horse and it will feel better about life and may calm down.

Mike007

Visit site
Owner believes it works,stops stressing about the horse being nervous,horse stops stressing about stressful owner.Oh ,and oxyshot make a fortune selling water.

Ziggy_

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Owner believes it works,stops stressing about the horse being nervous,horse stops stressing about stressful owner.Oh ,and oxyshot make a fortune selling water.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even so, if it does the trick, its worth it IMO. I used it on my mare before taking her SJing and had a much more enjoyable day.
smile.gif

nuttychestnut

Visit site
I work in product development and I know that any product that hits the shelves in the UK has to be tested by the use of a user trial - so the claim that this product calms horses would mean that a panel who have horses who are in need of calming would have used it! - I hope that helps!