Using riding boots as normal boots?

Spilletta

Visit site
I have a pair of black, leather Mark Todd boots which I don't (currently) use for riding. I need some long boots for "normal" use, but it would save money if I could get away with using the MTs. Given that there are a lot of fashion boots in the style of riding boots, I think I possibly could...

Has anyone else used their riding boots for day-to-day fashion?

Micropony

Visit site
My friend wears her Ariat Conistons "out". My little legs are too short though, riding boots would cut in to the back of my knees if I tried wearing them in civilian life.

SpottyMare

Visit site
I wear a pair of tuffa norfolk boots to work. The only person who noticed they were riding boots was a bloke who a. knows I have horses, and b. whose wife has horses and he recognised the brand :)

LHIS

Visit site
Yes - where I live there's lots of Dubarry boots attached to people who I am quite sure that have never seen a horse, speck of muck, or an inch of grass! :D
Also, remember that plenty of fashion brands make equestrian style boots, so I doubt anyone without a keen eye would notice.

Enfys

Visit site
I wear my dublins as fashion boots all the time :)

I do too, well, not as a fashion statement, more just to do the grocery shopping, but I can guarantee that I will be stopped at least once by someone admiring them and asking where they can get a pair :)

I don't get quite the same reaction wearing my Fatbabies :(

Steorra

Visit site
I wore my Ariat Bromonts out and about while breaking them in, and became stylish by accident. Once they were supple enough to ride in I bought myself some Aquatalias as fashionable replacements, but the Bromonts received loads more compliments. Should've just bought a second pair.

Tapir

Visit site
I wore my ariat glaciers to the rugby a couple of times before I wore them to do the horses. I have never been so toasty warm at a rugby match!

catkin

Visit site
Are these 'country boots' or proper riding boots?

If they are riding boots they are cut to be worn with the heels down as when riding, and can blister your ankles really badly. I've tried it - was SOOOO uncomfortable didn't bother again!!

Embo

Visit site
When I went for my fitting for Celeris riding boots, I was told all about another (non-horsey) lady who had had a pair made especially and specifically for fashion.

A couple of years ago, I also saw someone walking through London Victoria station wearing a pair of Mountain Horse boots.

So yes, I don't see why not!

Merrymoles

Visit site
My sister-in-law wears her Ariat Grasmeres all the time and they have probably never seen a horse, let alone sat on one :) She was at our house the day after I bought mine in a 20% off sale and liked them so much she got some. She reckons they are most comfortable and waterproof walking boots she has ever owned and, once cleaned up, she wears them both out and to work.

ETA - probably the only "fashion" item we will ever have in common ;)

DD265

Visit site
I wear my Mountain Horse Forest Highlanders (country boots) mostly away from the yard and I wore two pairs of Dublin Edge boots out wearing them for work/around town. In fact I was wearing one of these three pairs for work this winter and I was the only person who could walk straight across the icy car park without difficulty!

I've just bought a pair of Mountain Horse High Riders (£100 at equestrian.com!) which I will be breaking in away from the yard but I do plan to use those for riding.

Spilletta

Visit site
Thanks everyone, I think I may give it a go. After all, if anyone notices they are Mark Todd boots, it means they know about horses and will just assume I'm too poor to afford normal clothes having spent all my money on my horse :D

Are these 'country boots' or proper riding boots?

If they are riding boots they are cut to be worn with the heels down as when riding, and can blister your ankles really badly. I've tried it - was SOOOO uncomfortable didn't bother again!!

Catkin, good point! I remember wearing them in when I first got them and they weren't very comfortable. However, I've just dug them out and glad to say they feel ok. I'm going to give them a bit of a polish and wear them to the office tomorrow. I'll report back to say whether I get any comments...

Feathered

Visit site
Not proper riding boots but I wear my ariat windemeres to work all winter, I get cold feet and they're just about the only thing I can fit my heat holder socks in to. I don't understand these people who can wear no socks or just tights all year round.

I don't use them at the yard anymore though, I keep my wellies for the yard.

Deltaflyer

Visit site
I wore my Shires Norfolk boots to work a few times and they were much admired by the 20 year old girls. They were also comfortable and I didn't get any blisters despite doing a lot of walking about in them.