Uttoxeter

lamlyn2012

Visit site
I would satisfy yourself that you are ok with the access off the A518, especially if you need to get in and out with a lorry or trailer. There is a blind summit and it is a fast road. Lorries need to gather speed to get up the hill.

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
What sort of yard are you looking for? I've lived there, and am moving back in next few weeks, there are a few yards about for different needs and different budgets :) I've been to look at one yard in Kingstone few years ago, the access didn't bother me as at the time I worked at the golf club and know the way from ''the other side'', but the yard didn't impress me much, although the facilities were decent.

CSP

Visit site
Hi Martlin, thanks for your reply.

I'm looking for full livery at a yard with a good school (must be floodlit outdoor or indoor so I can ride in the evening). Ideally I would like some help with schooling a couple of times a week as my job is very demanding.

Would you PM me what you thought the pros and cons were to the yard you went to visit please?

martlin

Hi Martlin, thanks for your reply.

I'm looking for full livery at a yard with a good school (must be floodlit outdoor or indoor so I can ride in the evening). Ideally I would like some help with schooling a couple of times a week as my job is very demanding.

Would you PM me what you thought the pros and cons were to the yard you went to visit please?

I don't think it needs PMing, really, as it is nothing inflammatory or particularly unkind, I just didn't feel the set up would suit me, I probably looked at the other yard in Kingstone, so to speak, because I don't think they offered full livery at the time and i know that there are at least 2 :)
The school was nice and they had a lunging pen as well, stables internal and decent, but all the liveries hay/feed/rugs etc were simply stored in the middle corridor and I found that odd. Also, at the time, I didn't think that the experience of staff doing the assisted bits of livery was sufficient to cope with some of my horses and was worried that there would be trouble. I found the idea that one needs to provide one's own electric fencing for turnout a bit, well, inconvenient, especially that the yard wasn't exactly cheap. In the end I got a basic DIY deal at a yard in Uttoxeter and employed own groom.

ETS Have you had a look at Dolesfoot Farm? they do DIY with services and I *think* they can provide full livery service, too. They have 2 arenas outdoors and I know they look after their facilities well.

Last edited:

CSP

Visit site
Thanks Martlin, that's useful. Some of those things may worry me too. I haven't heard of Dolesfoot Farm, whereabouts is it? If possible, please could you do me a list of the yards that you know of around Uttoxeter (especially those towards Stafford)? How are you getting on with your yard search?

martlin

Thanks Martlin, that's useful. Some of those things may worry me too. I haven't heard of Dolesfoot Farm, whereabouts is it? If possible, please could you do me a list of the yards that you know of around Uttoxeter (especially those towards Stafford)? How are you getting on with your yard search?

I'm failing miserably on my yard search, my horses are still technically homeless :eek:

Dolesfoot Farm is near Abbots Bromley, I'll try to find a link - here is their FB page
https://www.facebook.com/Dolesfoot
There is Anfield in Uttoxeter itself, or on the way out towards Beamhurst, they used to do all sorts, but I think it is DIY now - not too sure.
There is one, Priory? or something like that between Abbots Bromley and Rugeley, in Blithbury, that one looks nice.
I'm momentarily stuck, but will give you a shout when I think of something.
There obviously is Eland Lodge, too, with excellent facilities :)

CSP

Visit site
Thanks Martlin, I'll look into those. A friend of mine was at Eland for a while and received horrendous service so that has put me off there.

Is there an indoor school at one if the yards at Kingstone?

Sorry to hear your horses are currently homeless Martlin. What will you do? How many do you have? xx

martlin

Thanks Martlin, I'll look into those. A friend of mine was at Eland for a while and received horrendous service so that has put me off there.

Is there an indoor school at one if the yards at Kingstone?

Sorry to hear your horses are currently homeless Martlin. What will you do? How many do you have? xx

Well, I'll find something eventually, solicitors are still dealing with contracts here, so I have a few weeks yet ;) I've got 8 horses, 3 of them colts... I need a yard, or an equestrian property/smallholding.
I don't actually remember where the indoor schools are :eek:

martlin

Martlin, I hope you find something soon. Are there any maybes/possibilities?

I have an emergency/short term option, so I am not panicking, but all this move is supposed to be about things being easier not more difficult and compromised, so I am hoping not to have to use the emergency option :( No maybes or possibilities yet, keep drawing blanks.

Frumpoon

Visit site
Jeanette break well has an American barn and cottage she rents out I seem to remember, don't know if vacant at present

CSP

Visit site
Martlin, have you thought about putting a poster up in the saddleries/Wynnstay etc. in Uttoxeter/Stafford etc.? If you're not planning a visit soon then you can email something to me and I'll go to put it up for you if you like?

martlin

Martlin, have you thought about putting a poster up in the saddleries/Wynnstay etc. in Uttoxeter/Stafford etc.? If you're not planning a visit soon then you can email something to me and I'll go to put it up for you if you like?

I have, my poor, long suffering OH works in Uttoxeter during the week, so has done rounds of feed shops and associated places :) My farrier, who actually is from the area and makes the trip to me every 6 weeks is on the case, too. It's just that nothing is really coming up :(

lori ann

Visit site
Hi Martin you are going to struggle in this area. Eland is full I have a small private yard within hacking distance of Eland with all the facilities you require but could not accommodate all your horses ! You will not find anything this side of Uttoxeter as most of the land is Duchy. You need to go further afield the other way.

martlin

Hi Martin you are going to struggle in this area. Eland is full I have a small private yard within hacking distance of Eland with all the facilities you require but could not accommodate all your horses ! You will not find anything this side of Uttoxeter as most of the land is Duchy. You need to go further afield the other way.
Lorri ann, I'm not looking for a livery, I'm looking for equestrian property :) It's the OP who is looking for livery, for one horse ;)
I'm aware which land is Duchy, they actually make a great landlord :) But anyway, I'm not tied to a particular side of Uttoxeter, as long as it is commutable, in fact, I'm looking at a couple of properties next week, one of them belonging to Chatsworth estate.

lori ann

Visit site
Sorry Martin got it all confused. There is a Duchy place near Hanbury which I thought was sold has about 6 acres but does not seem to be happening. May be worth speaking to Savills of Nottingham as it was previously let to an Equine Dentist.

martlin

Sorry Martin got it all confused. There is a Duchy place near Hanbury which I thought was sold has about 6 acres but does not seem to be happening. May be worth speaking to Savills of Nottingham as it was previously let to an Equine Dentist.
Thanks, I know of another Duchy property to rent in that area and am talking to Savills :)

CSP

Visit site
Martlin, how are you getting on? Just seen a nice looking yard on Facebook which is available and I thought of you. It's in Middlewich though and I'm guessing that's too far?

martlin

Martlin, how are you getting on? Just seen a nice looking yard on Facebook which is available and I thought of you. It's in Middlewich though and I'm guessing that's too far?
I've got a few in my pipeline, the one in Middlewich isn't one of them, though - not really suitable for what I'm looking for :) Thanks for thinking of me :)

TulipBlaze

Visit site
Hello everyone, I know someone who is looking for a yard to rent in the area around Uttoxeter. Ideally private but shared also a possibility. Must have min of 3 stables, turnout, parking for horsebox. Arena an added bonus. Please let me know if you can think of anywhere suitable!