Uvex hat recall - Anyone got their hats back?

dressage_diva

Visit site
Woohoo, got my hat today, a perfexxion has just shown up. I was told that delivery had been attempted but the courier couldn't find the address (although me and Parcelforce are quite well aquainted :p ) Hat is not quite as light as the uvision, and doesn't suit me, but is comfy! Phew. Seems like they are back on track, hope you get your hats.

That's a shame it's not as light as the uvision as that was the main reason I bought it (I already have other hats such as my Champion Ventair which isn't as light), but equally I do want a hat that offers me protection. Fingers crossed the perfexxion hat fits me (when it arrives) - I don't mind too much what it looks like as long as it's safe, fits and is comfy (it's just my every day hat rather than my competition one).

Eqwynne

New User
Visit site
Re: UVEX Hats - Safety Recall
Originally Posted by ~ Clear Light ~
I emailed them about a month ago and no response at all. Currently in Germany, need a new hat and not sure whether to buy a new Uvex or not now
Hi There, I hope that i am able to be of some assistance. I have read this thread and the individual posts and would like to advise the following. uvex will happily replace your helmet directly. The helmets are being replaced with an upgraded version (approx increased value of £60.00). This helmet weighs approximately 35g more, and this is due to the styling and shape of the shell. Please send the helmet/s in question with an accompanying letter of explanation, preceded by an email to the factory in Germany. Your helmet will be replaced and returned to you. This does however take some time with the factories being in Furth which cannot be helped. Apologies.

Which Facebook page have you been looking at? There is the German page, and there is also a new British one; uvexequestrianuk, please feel free to visit that one as it is visited on a daily basis by the gentleman S.Sirries that some of you have emailed/written to, and also by myself. So any queries please just ask via there, as it was set up for you to have an easy route for communication. The address you need for Germany direct is s.sirries@uvex.de. Please email Simon Sirries directly with both the details of your helmet and you, so that he may direct your communication to the correct person within the organisation. With over 2000 employees it is important that a clear path/trail is followed when returning your product.

Uvex are working madly to resolve everything for you, so please bear with us. We treasure our customers and are always working tirelessly to make sure that you can ride safely with the ultimate in protection and style.

Secondly, the matter of the recall is this: An independent testing house in Sweden “Konsumentverket” took 11 helmet brands for testing in May 2013. Ten helmets received complaints, one of which was the uvex exxential (previously called the uvision). uvex decided to recall the standard kitemarked exxential helmet in order that they may address the complaint and work to further improve the protection it offered. They also applied this in-house re-testing to all the models in their product range. They do not accept compromise and took these steps in order to protect the retailer and ultimately the consumer.

Interestingly uvex was the only manufacturer to choose to take these steps and to take the opportunity to further improve the protection afforded by their helmets. The remaining nine manufacturers did not react to the findings of the testing house because they felt that the because the helmets were already batch tested and kitemarked by BSI that any alterations or adjustments were merely superfluous. Only uvex reacted to any findings. That is because safety is highest on their list of priorities and not economic gain.

It has to be noted as an example of another recall, that BMW only recently recalled 40,000 cars due to a potential diesel/flammable issue, and that this too was done to protect the customers, 'in case' and in order to ensure that there was absolutely no compromise in the safety of the vehicle. Uvex are passionate about safety, and since 1926 when the company was established have worked tirelessly to that end. We hope that your helmets arrive swiftly ask that you can again enjoy wearing them and pursuing your sport.

I hope this helps!

With many thanks.

Booboos

Visit site
That is all well and good and I appreciate that you are the only company that is dealing with this, but I just got my hat back today (after 6 weeks) in a cardboard box with no protective packaging whatsoever! Who thinks its a good idea to just dump a piece of safety equipment in a box and pop it in the post? When I sent it to you it was well wrapped in bubblewrap and wedged in the box with those plastic air-filled pockets so that it would not move and it would not be damaged if dropped.

I am fuming. My hat is not usable anymore.

dressage_diva

Visit site
That is all well and good and I appreciate that you are the only company that is dealing with this, but I just got my hat back today (after 6 weeks) in a cardboard box with no protective packaging whatsoever! Who thinks its a good idea to just dump a piece of safety equipment in a box and pop it in the post? When I sent it to you it was well wrapped in bubblewrap and wedged in the box with those plastic air-filled pockets so that it would not move and it would not be damaged if dropped.

I have to admit this concerned me too when I received my new hat too (not least because when I collected it from the post office it was right at the bottom of a pile of boxes and there was no "Fragile" note on it). However, saying this, I imagine that when most hats are couriered to shops (throughout the UK and Europe), they are just transported in a cardboard box. In fact, thinking back I've never bought a riding hat that offers the packaging that Booboos mentions above (and I expected when I received my UVEX hat back), so I'm not sure the issue doesn't extend to how all riding hats are couriered.

I have only ridden in my new Uvex hat once so far and didn't find it as comfy as my old Uvision - in fact, I've ridden in my Champion Ventair twice instead! I'm going to try the Uvex again today to see if it feels any better (I found it felt a bit perched compared to my old uvision, although they are the same size, and it felt tighter at the front of my head). I don't think long term I'll be buying another Uvex hat (and yet I've been one of their biggest advocates until the recent recall); I'll be looking at other brands instead.

Eqwynne

New User
Visit site

I am fuming. My hat is not usable anymore.

Hi Booboos! My email alert just popped this up for me after our Facebook chat on www.facebook.com/uvexequestrianuk. Please let me know how you get on, and when your new helmet arrives! If any of your friends on here have questions, please point them towards me on facebook where they can message me direct! All Best Wishes.

Booboos

Visit site
Thank you very much. I posted on the FB page and got an immediate reply and an e-mail with an offer of a new hat. I suspect this may not be the fault of Uvex but the retailer, but Uvex have been super.

dressage_diva my hats have always come well packaged in the post. I just bought a Uven suxxceed from an ebay company and it came very well wrapped and just this week I got another Uvex as a leaving present for my groom from kramer-equi.fr and it also came very well protected (same retailer that returned my Uvex just in a box so they obviously have standards for sending hats, they just forgot about them this time!).