Vaccinated and un vaccinated pups

fallenangel123

Visit site
Hi, just after picking the collective knowledge as the vets are closed and I can't find anything online. If a pup hasn't yet had its first jab, is it in danger of picking up parvovirus from one that has just recently? My neighbour has to go deal with a family crisis and asked if I would have their new pup, but mine has been jabbed, hers hasn't yet, would it be at risk or not?
Thank you in advance, I would like to be helpful, but don't want to kill it!

Clodagh

Visit site
No, our new pups, last 2 unjabbed, both came home to our jabbed dogs and shared their garden, all fine.

fallenangel123

Visit site
Brilliant thanks, I did figure I would have found something on the web if it was a problem, but always best to check here. Hopefully that's one worry off her mind thank you!

Emma_H

Visit site
I've been reading a lot about not vaccinating at all

I wouldn't consider it but what's all that about?

Seems daft IMO

MissTyc

Visit site
I've been reading a lot about not vaccinating at all

I wouldn't consider it but what's all that about?

Seems daft IMO

I am pro-vaccination and believe it has changed the world for humans and domestics ... I do however think that we know very little about the long-term efficacy of vaccinations. As in, we don't fully understand the interactions between vaccinations and antibodies and also the huge individual variations between dogs. I do routine vaccinate but as my older dog gets older I think I will start to titre test to see if she needs the vaccination annually or if it can be spaced out a bit more. I consider vaccinations low risk in the grand scheme of things and I am not unduly concerned by "over"vaccinating. But I can see the point in only vaccinating when necessary.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I am pro-vaccination and believe it has changed the world for humans and domestics ... I do however think that we know very little about the long-term efficacy of vaccinations. As in, we don't fully understand the interactions between vaccinations and antibodies and also the huge individual variations between dogs. I do routine vaccinate but as my older dog gets older I think I will start to titre test to see if she needs the vaccination annually or if it can be spaced out a bit more. I consider vaccinations low risk in the grand scheme of things and I am not unduly concerned by "over"vaccinating. But I can see the point in only vaccinating when necessary.

agreed.

only people who've never witnessed parvo or distemper would not want to vaccinate puppies imo. in elderly dogs its a judgement call as to where they go and what they do etc etc.

Emma_H

Visit site
i know that as my cat reached old old age I didn't vaccinate. I asked the vet and she said that she had had enough and that disease was unlikely.

I've read a little about the titre test. Would need to read up more to form an opinion on it.
Would it not be like with horses, if you couldn't prove their vaccs they couldn't stay in kennels etc?

mynutmeg

Visit site
agreed.

only people who've never witnessed parvo or distemper would not want to vaccinate puppies imo. in elderly dogs its a judgement call as to where they go and what they do etc etc.

agree - my girl was always vaccinated when younger, as she got older, was going out less and her liver etc started to not work well I stopped her boosters but by that point she'd probably had 9 or 10 years worth. Wouldn't dream of not vaccinating a puppy

Roxylola

Visit site
i know that as my cat reached old old age I didn't vaccinate. I asked the vet and she said that she had had enough and that disease was unlikely.

I've read a little about the titre test. Would need to read up more to form an opinion on it.
Would it not be like with horses, if you couldn't prove their vaccs they couldn't stay in kennels etc?

Depends on the kennels, however, bva recommendations currently is for only lepto every year and the rest every 3. My vet recommends everything every year which I have followed until this year. My dogs are 6 and 7 and I don't want to keep taxing their systems. In 2 more years they will have everything and then think what next

Emma_H

Visit site
I follow a group on Facebook about Natural Care for Animals. This morning there was a post about a kitten which said "she's just arrived, she's not vaccinated which is great"

I've seen a friend's cat die from Feline Leukaemia, how is not vaccinating a kitten a good idea?

I rolled my eyes at that post