Vaccinating but no one else is!

princestar

Visit site
Hi

Im having Denny vaccinated against flu and tetanus, I missed the yearly booster whilst he was away being backed (my fault now ive got to start all over again) and now im considering vaccinating against EHV but what else should I vaccinate for?

And will it make a significant differencr to him or the other horses on the yard as i know full well none of the other 4 horses are ever vaccinated.

Its worrying that so many people are brushing this under the carpet, vaccines are important, and especially so that we have older horse and a mare in foal on the yard.

Obviously the owners make their own choice but I need to immunise Denny as best I can.
Thanks x

be positive

Visit site
I spoke to my vet about EHV yesterday, he recommended in the current situation to stay at home rather than vaccinate, the vaccine is not very long term and needs to be done far more frequently than flu, he does his brood mares every month as routine, he obviously does not have the costs involved but that is still a lot of jabs being done.
Tetanus is essential, flu less so but the horses on your yard are at risk of tetanus if not covered, if they do not go out competing they are lower risk for flu or EHV, do what you feel is best for your own horse and talk to your vet about his views on EHV cover. Yours should be fine if he is covered and the others get it but they are probably low risk if they do not go out competing at least while this is going on.

KarynK

Visit site
You can also over vaccinate, "vaccinosis" and reactions are seen to preservatives in the vaccines as well.
You only need to vaccinate for tetanus every two years, and probably much longer than that because the drug companies keep that sort of thing very quiet.
I only vaccinate for tetanus as in the horse world there is no titre testing like you can get for dogs and a vaccination is an insult to the immune system, especially when it is compromised fighting something you cannot see. Multi vaccinations especially prevalent in dogs can cause real trouble if given in these circumstances.
You should also be aware that flu and EHV vaccines will not stop a horse getting the problem and a EHV mare lost her foal after receiving a vaccination so live vaccines can give the animal a dose of the disease which they will then shed. Vaccinations are important but should be used with thought and care.