Vaccinations for older dogs

{97702}

Visit site
I know this has been debated many times on here but I’m interested to know what people do about vaccinating their older dogs.

I’m thinking about not vaccinating my 3 oldest ones, two aged 11 and one aged 10 - they have had annual vaccinations all their lives, they come into contact with other dogs irregularly on dog walks. I have heard that there is little benefit of vaccinating after a certain age because the dog will have built up immunity by then - any thoughts?

skinnydipper

Visit site
I personally would not vaccinate at this age. I was told (by my then vet) that immunity develops over time and past a certain age repeated vaccinations are unnecessary. I think we are guilty of over vaccination and this in itself can cause health problems.

If you are concerned you could ask for titres to be carried out to see if vaccination is necessary.

Jean Dodds' work on vaccination is useful, her protocols are available online.

If your dogs go into kennels or doggy day care then vaccination may be mandatory.

Hope this helps.

deb_l222

Visit site
I don't vaccinate mine after 11 and I've not come a cropper yet. Rufus will be 11 in March and is due his booster anytime now. I'll push it to my vet's 8 week 'going over' limit then this will be his last one. Button hasn't been boosted for 2 years now - there's plenty of other things going on with her to worry about!!

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Mine also have to be done for competition, though they're rapidly approaching retirement and I will consider titre testing after that point. I will probably continue annual lepto and just drop the three-yearly core if their titres are sufficient.

{97702}

Visit site
I was wondering about the annual lepto BC - might phone my vets & see if I can get any sense out of them :) I also need to check their certificates to check what they have been having - I’m a bad owner for not knowing that!!

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Evie is 10 this year and will only be having lepto from now on. The other 2 will still have 3 year boosters and annual lepto, Pickle also has KC as he is competing and is very prone to it.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Yep, ours are £4-5 cheaper than a DHP. You probably won't find much variation on that as there's still a health check/consultation included in the cost for either.

Clodagh

Visit site
Tawny only had lepto last year, as vet recommended, but she was really ill for a few days afterwards. I am really undecided this year. She lives swimming, drinks from puddles and lives on a farm so I see the need but what I she died after the jab? That would be worse than her dying of lepto itself.
We normally stop after first annual booster but I have kept going for a few more years with T.

skinnydipper

Visit site
I bow to your superior knowledge, CorvusCorax and blackcob.

I apologise for taking the discussion off on a tangent. I know I am going to regret posting this.

I am probably not the best person to give an opinion as I am very nervous about over vaccination, having lost a dog to autoimmune disease. He was routinely vaccinated.

There appears to a correlation, if not causation, between vaccination and auto immune disease.

From Provet:

Cause
The primary cause of SLE is unknown in animals and humans although several factors have been suggested, including :

Genetic inheritance
Exposure to environmental factors - eg ultraviolet light - which definitely induces a photosensitivity reaction in affected animals
Exposure to viral infections
Endocrine factors
Drug administration (anticonvulsants, contraceptives, hydralazine, isoniazid, penicillamine, procainamide and vaccinations (dogs))
Suppressor T cell deficiency and other immunological disorders

{97702}

Visit site
Interestingly I find that my dogs have been having the core vaccinations originally every 2 years and now every 3 years, but with lepto every year. Still undecided, although people who I greatly respect have said they don't vaccinate after a certain age

{97702}

Visit site
As I cannot read the lepto bit does it say that the dog being ill after the jab is normal and not to worry!? I worry about it escalating in later years, she was only 3 with the last jab.

Got to be honest Clodagh, it doesn't really say much other than make up your own mind! My dogs have had L4 vaccine for the past 3 years with no problems (in fact, touch wood, I have never had any animal react to a vaccine) but I totally understand your caution! For what it is worth - and I am just a layman and have no scientific knowledge whatsoever - I would probably stop vaccinations - but you may well decide to carry on, I don't want to influence you at all

Clodagh

Visit site
Lévrier;13726888 said:
Got to be honest Clodagh, it doesn't really say much other than make up your own mind! My dogs have had L4 vaccine for the past 3 years with no problems (in fact, touch wood, I have never had any animal react to a vaccine) but I totally understand your caution! For what it is worth - and I am just a layman and have no scientific knowledge whatsoever - I would probably stop vaccinations - but you may well decide to carry on, I don't want to influence you at all

It's so hard! Pen has her first annual jab in March so I will speak to the vet then I think, and go with what he says for Tawny.

Oenoke

Visit site
Mine have always had their annual vaccinations up until 15 years old when I have lost them. Skye is 12 years old and will have her annual vaccination next month when it is due.

gunnergundog

Visit site
There are a couple of interesting FB groups - read the info with the usual FB caveats, but still interesting.

The first is: Nobivac Lepto 4 - our experiences
The second is: Canine Health - dogs & vaccinations. What vets don't tell you.

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
I don’t vaccinate mine after two years old. We’re fairly rural & interaction with other dogs is minimal. I keep an eye out for bites from rats & the like but to date have never had problems. They never go to kennels or shows anymore so the potential for contamination is small.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Mine haven’t been vaccinated for years. I should probably get lepto given how much swimming they do, but I’m very concerned about reports on extreme reactions to the newer version.

rara007

Visit site
You can request the older version CT, obviously it doesn't cover so many strains but is a bit of a 1/2 way house. You might find that's what your vets are still using as standard even.