Vaccinations

blakey

Visit site
Ive discovered that so hasnt had her Flu jab, only tetanus which was last December.

I know nothing about these sorts of things - is flu important? She hasnt had it because her owner didnt take her anywhere, so didnt feel she needed it.

Should i get it done asap??
crazy.gif
confused.gif

OWLIE185

Visit site
Each year the flue vacine is changed by the mnufacturers/pharmaceutical companies to take account in the change of strains of the Equine Flu viruses.

Why not have your Flue and Tet done at the same time?

Even if your horse is kept in isolation at home it can still get the flue virus as it is air-bourne as per in droplets.

The extra cost of giving it is so small compared to the cost of the tetanus and vet visit.

burtie

Visit site
Really flu vaccinations should be done and will be needed if you ever plan to take your horse anywhere. You will need 3 vaccinations done in the first year and then 1 booster each year.

blakey

Visit site
I would like to try & tag along to some places, just so she gets used to going in a trailer, and see's different sights & sounds, so OK i will arrange for them to be done, thanks Burtie

the watcher

Visit site
depending on how urgently you want it done, the vets in the local village will jab horses that are hacked down to the surgery by appointment which saves on the call out....obviously that is a little way off with yours!

MrsMagoo

Visit site
if you plan to compete to a good level then this is when they get picky...trust me i know!! Qualified for the RC Championships in September and the organisers then were'nt 100% sure her vaccs were right. So I faxed a copy to the championship organisers, and sure enough they reckon it was 2 days out of date so i wouldnt be able to compete. It was done on 23/2/05 and then 24/2/6 this year. apparently it has to be before the date to count!!!
Luckily they said if i can start her jabs all over and get in the 21day jab before the comp then i can go...so thats what im doing!!!

Zebedee

Visit site
I would have your horse done, as flu jabs have proved a very effective preventative measure against equine influenza. The trouble is that from a human perpective we tend to refer to anything greater than a mild cold as flu - & therefore forget what a serious disease true influenza is.
Flu jabs have to be done within a very specific time scale to be valid for competition. After the initial injection a second booster needs to be given no less than 21, but no more than 92 days from the first. (day one is the day after the injection was given). Once the horse has had he first two injecions it will be able to compete. A third injection then has to be given no less then 150 days but no more than 215 days after the second injection, and then annually from then on. All injections must be administered at least 7 clear days prior o competing. Just ONE DAY EARLY OR LATE on the second two injections will invalidate the course.
Please feel free to PM me f you want any more info.

star

Visit site
the only time i would consider not vaccinating against flu is if i had an older retired horse that i kept at home where no horses went out competing and it never went anywhere. otherwise most horses are at risk and to keep outbreaks to a minimum it's important for as many of the population to be vaccinated as possible. riding clubs are the main competition people concerned with them - they must be within the days allowed and they will not allow 1 day outside.