Vaccinations

sez1

Visit site
So the four vaccinations on my phone (stable mate app) are West Nile virus, equine herpes virus, tetanus and flu.
Obviously heard of tet and flu but not wnv or ehp. I will be competing every fortnight and might consider doing a few CIC* next year.
Am I right in saying flu and wnv (if necessary) are yearly, tetanus is every two years and ehv (if neccessary) is every 6 months?

StormyMoments

Visit site
I have only ever vaccinated for Tetanus and Flu not any of the others... Flu is once yearly after the first 3 and then Tetanus is every 2 years unless of course you want to do it more often but I have never vaccinated for WNV or EHV... which country are you in?

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Tet and flu are the normal vacc and as SM says, flu is annual (6 monthly for some competitive bodies), tet is biannual once you are up to date.

The others would be appropriate if (only if) you were in a high risk scenario.

So for EHV that would be if the horse was frequently competing in a way which meant very close proximity to other horse or where the risk was very high eg polo, racing or a stud

For more exotic diseases, it would be if you were travelling to somewhere where it was a statistically significant chance of catching it. At the moment, I wouldn't have thought the uk would count, unless maybe if you were competing involving stabling with a lot of foreign horses.

sez1

Visit site
I'm in the UK. I would maybe consider going abroad for a few events but no more than once a year. What is wnv then?

StormyMoments

Visit site
Im not sure on vacciations for going abroad tbh... When i imported rio he was tested for 35 different diseases but was only vaccinated for flu and tet but that would be different for competing as you would have tp have bloods done each time you wanted to return... Hmm would be worth looking it up on LOC transports website as they have a lot of info on there about what vacciations etc they need

Zargon_91

Visit site
If Competition is held under FEI rules, flu is every 6 months- tet is still every 2 years. Other 2 aren't obligatory :)

paulineh

Visit site
You should always have the flu/tet vaccinations The EHV is a must if you are breeding as it can cause a foal to be aborted. With the recent cases of EHV in a number of county's I personally would and do have my competing horses done.

Sez1 if you are considering doing any FEI or CIC* I would have the EHV. As you will need to have the flu vaccination every 6 months the two will go together.

ajf

Visit site
If you are doing an FEI in the UK the Flu jab needs to be within 6 months, there is a few day le-way with this if really needed.

If you are doing an FEI abroad you will need to get an FEI passport (££££) which can take a good few weeks, so be prepared early! Also for events abroad you need to contact BE and ask to compete abroad as they only have a certain number of 'British Spaces' per event.

micramadam

Visit site
We're in the Netherlands and we only vaccinate against flu and tetanus. Can't compete without the flu vaccs being up to date.
Did ask the vets last time about the other 2 but they advised against if (for now).