Vaccinations

dianchi

Visit site
All my riding club shows I have to show passport and have it checked, All Horseball comps I have to have it checked by vet.

Most shows have it written in their rules about vaccinations, and your horses passport should be with it when you travel to show anyway, you can be asked at anytime to produce it.

slumdog

Visit site
I know a few people who jump BS and don't have vaccinations, I don't know anyone who has been pulled up on it. However mine are vaccinated, as it's my luck I would be checked and it's one less thing to worry about!

Capriole

Visit site
Yes, all of mine are vaccinated for flu and tet. For protection and to meet comp requirements etc., although even the ones that don't go anywhere are vaccinated in case anything gets brought back with the ones that do.

So OP, yours aren't vacc for tet? I'd really get that done if I were you, if nothing else.

:)

horsemad32

Visit site
It's not safe to leave the tetanus. If your horse never comes into contact with other horses, then the flu probably doesn't matter, but tetanus is fatal and can infect any deep cut.

MissMay

Visit site
Was there not research carried out recently (in the last 10ish years), that showed if you got your initial group of injevtions any more 'boosters' were not having an effect once the initial shots had been carried out correctly?
I'm sure I read this along the way and stand to be corrected.
FWIW mine compete and are vaccinated as is comp rules

Nightmare before Christmas

Visit site
if you compete they need to be done.

My pony isnt done, he doesnt leave the yard and based on heard immunity in the population I feel safe leaving him for flu. He has tet done.

Vaccines actually stop being effective after 6 months, some places advises having boosters 6 months. We boost at 1 year due to the fact thats a big enough gap that people will shell out that often.

This is going on what I learned in immunology and at the vets anyway!

Sneedy

Visit site
Vaccines actually stop being effective after 6 months, some places advises having boosters 6 months. We boost at 1 year due to the fact thats a big enough gap that people will shell out that often.

This is going on what I learned in immunology and at the vets anyway!

Interesting comment...........a lot of trial work goes into vaccines and their duration of immunity. If they stopped being effective after 6months then we would all be advised to do 6 monthly boosters?

Cragrat

Visit site
I think FEI have gone 6 monthly for flu for this reason?

But when I stabbed my finger last month with a less than clean knife, I took myself to a and e more for the jabs than the stitches. I got the stitches, but not the jab. "At your age we don't bother, you've probably had a enough tetanus jabs in your lifetime" they didn't even check my records. I said I was sure it was more than 10 years ago since my last vac, but apparently that's fine.

Nightmare before Christmas

Visit site
yes that is why FEI ruling is 6 months!

They dont do this for everyone as why pay 6 monthly for something that isnt a massive issue in the UK?
They would have to make more, it would cost more and create more resistance and virus mutation which leads to more work creating new vaccines which costs more!

Its mostly about costs, and a bit about resistance!

Heard immunity works well so not all horses need to be vaccinated to be protected against flu within a population. To compete they need to be vaccinated though :)

TarrSteps

Visit site
Tetanus and flu are completely different situations. Tet vaccines don't really change but, equally, population immunity plays no part in protecting individuals

khalswitz

Visit site
I would always vac against tet - it's fatal and any wound can pick it up. Horse flu generally isn't fatal except in the old/young/sick, and is only necessary if you are competing and recommended if there is a lot of come and go on your yard.

FEI rules are six monthly, more due to international movement of horses. As I understand, in the UK flu tends to hit in yearly cycles, so your vaccination will only work on the 'current' mutation of the flu, and the yearly update protects against the next 'round' - it's not that the vac stops working but that the virus changes. When competing internationally, you are exposed to different stages of the mutation Via different horses so more frequent vaccination is required.

BRC has a vac checker online which is very good for checking you are up to date according to BRC/BE/BD/BS/EGB etc rules.