Vaccine problems

jojo5

Visit site
So, would it be useful to compare batches? In January, my boy had Equilis Prequenza Te - Lot A311AO1. Def had a reaction which he has not had before because it stopped his access to his haynet, and we would have noticed that in previous years.

spotty_pony2

Visit site
Mine was Proteq-te F06843. I wonder if it’s injury the one with the tetanus in that is causing the reaction. Wonder if the horses that were ok have just had the flu one?

jojo5

Visit site
Could be I guess - my boy did have the tetanus vaccine as well this year but the batch for that is not listed on his passport, I don’t think - will check.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
It’s one injection - the te in the name above shows it was a flu and tetanus vaccine.
Mine had the combined this year. Our vets stick the sticker with the batch number in the passport so I can check when I get back in 10 days.

However lots of people use the same vets and would have had this version and it's a biggish yard so probably not the same batch you had.

jojo5

Visit site
Thanks Spotty Pony - duh! Should have realised that!! So I guess another need to know fact is how many doses are in one ‘lot’ of vaccine - if it is a huge number it will be difficult to firm up any observations.

HopOnTrot

Visit site
I had a horrible reaction to a blood test two weeks ago (and I've probably had about 10 in the past year), the test didn't hurt but 5 minutes afterwards my elbow felt stiff, then swollen and then I came out in a HUGE bruise the other side of my elbow. Could be something similar to that? I've also been reading a lot about hock injections and they said the site has to be really clean and sterile so as to not push anything into the joint with the needle.

Had to restart my mare's vaccinations as were going to camp this summer and she has been fine after both of them, will dig out the batch numbers after I've put the eldest to bed!

holeymoley

Visit site
Mine had Proteq last August and had a very hot swollen droopy chest. But he had both flu and tetanus so probably par for the course. He had Prequenza about 12 years ago and couldn’t move his neck correctly after so I’ve always requested Proteq.

Bit worried though as youngster due his vaccination very soon.

HelenBack

Visit site
I'm not enjoying reading this thread as mine is due his vaccination in the next couple of weeks and already has a history of reactions so this is bad news for me. He had such a bad reaction to Equilis that I won't allow him to have that anymore. Proteq flu he seems to be fine with and flu and tet together he's usually okay with maybe a bit of localised swelling but I always give him some danilon when it's the combined one to try and help with that. He's due the combined one this year so this is a bit worrying. I think I'm going to ask the vet about when I call to make the appointment and maybe see about giving the flu and tet separately if they've been having issues too.

BronsonNutter

Visit site
We've not had more reactions than normal (using prequenza) - we get the odd one here-and-there, as you'd expect in a 15 vet practice. Just to try and allay any fears people may have!
If your own horse has a history of vaccine reactions (we find they are often repeat offenders) have a chat to your vet about the possible options to try and reduce the risk going forwards when their next vaccine is due.

Waysandmeans

Visit site
Just a heads up if your horse is due a vaccination soon.

My Vets practice have said they are having lots of problems with the latest batch with reactions. They have decided to inject into the chest now instead of the neck after symptoms appearing such as horses being unable to lift their heads off the ground.

My mare has just had hers (in her chest) and now is on antibiotics for an abscess which may well still have to be lanced! She was hopping lame for about five days after the vaccine and we weren’t told about the latest reactions until after.

Anybody else had any issues lately? Makes me reluctant to get my old boy done if this isn’t sorted. Luckily he isn’t due until October anyway…
Hiya hows your mare now? My daughters horse has a reaction to his F&T (he has never reacted before). Had to get vet back out and now on anti-b's. Same batch number as yours. Hot pec, swollen and had hives (hives did go with anti histamine).

spotty_pony2

Visit site
Hi, she is fine now luckily. The swelling has completely gone and didn’t abscess in the end. Oh no, I can’t believe they are still using it! Have you complained? I hope she feels better soon. ❤️

Waysandmeans

Visit site
Hi, she is fine now luckily. The swelling has completely gone and didn’t abscess in the end. Oh no, I can’t believe they are still using it! Have you complained? I hope she feels better soon. ❤️
Great to hear your mare is fine now :) . Vet said he would complain. No sign of an abscess yet but he put him on anti-b's to be on the safe side as his chest was so hot. Thank you, hopefully he will be :)

spotty_pony2

Visit site
Great to hear your mare is fine now :) . Vet said he would complain. No sign of an abscess yet but he put him on anti-b's to be on the safe side as his chest was so hot. Thank you, hopefully he will be :)

Sorry he! 🙈 Fingers crossed for you. Has it made him lame or just very sensitive to touch?

Waysandmeans

Visit site
Sorry he! 🙈 Fingers crossed for you. Has it made him lame or just very sensitive to touch?
Haha. Not lame as such, just slightly stiff and a bit quiet. Did cold hose. A zillion years, a go I had a horse who was very poorly from his jab and got a huge abscess. Vet in those days was rather dismissive but had to listen in the end. Revolting when it got lanced, and always felt his immune system did not really fully recover. That was though about 30 yrs ago ( God I feel ancient!!). Glad yours is ok - rather alarming hearing everyone's experiences😮

cariadbach10

Visit site
My broodmare had her flu tet as advised a month before anticipated foaling. Huge reaction- found her stiff and unable to lower her head to graze in the field. Temp of 39.7 and HR of 54. Poor girl was very sorry for herself and we were obviously beside ourselves with worry for her and the foal. Had to make the unenviable call of giving her an anti inflammatory jab- they’re not licensed for use in in foal mares but we had to do something. 🤷‍♀️ Fortunately this did the trick. Vet reported to drug company. Can’t recall the brand, but will check.

Surbie

Visit site
Mine still has a lump in his neck from the October booster and was 'off' for about a week afterwards.
He has previously had an abcess when injected in the chest - had to be lanced and cleaned out under sedation, which was a lovely extra bill. That was the combined F&T.
He was previously injected in the bum which wasn't an issue till the vet managed to hit a nerve and now he's anti-needle.

Waysandmeans

Visit site
My broodmare had her flu tet as advised a month before anticipated foaling. Huge reaction- found her stiff and unable to lower her head to graze in the field. Temp of 39.7 and HR of 54. Poor girl was very sorry for herself and we were obviously beside ourselves with worry for her and the foal. Had to make the unenviable call of giving her an anti inflammatory jab- they’re not licensed for use in in foal mares but we had to do something. 🤷‍♀️ Fortunately this did the trick. Vet reported to drug company. Can’t recall the brand, but will check.
That's shocking! Glad the anti - flam helped. Awful worry for you :(

Waysandmeans

Visit site
Mine still has a lump in his neck from the October booster and was 'off' for about a week afterwards.
He has previously had an abcess when injected in the chest - had to be lanced and cleaned out under sedation, which was a lovely extra bill. That was the combined F&T.
He was previously injected in the bum which wasn't an issue till the vet managed to hit a nerve and now he's anti-needle.
Poor boy. No wonder he is needle phobic now. Been through that in the past - really horrid.