Vaccines

Machaelaj

Visit site
Hi all
New horse arriving 4th may
New yard has said strangers flue test not needed

I don’t have lots of info on his past except for the owner saying he hasn’t had any vaccs whist with him

He’s an ex racer 5yrs old so just curious if I need to get his vaccs all redone or if he would have been given these when he was with the trainers.
He’s never raced

holeymoley

Visit site
Yes, if you don't have a record- is it not on his passport? Then you need to restart. Also if it has lapsed within 1 year(can't remember exact dates but must be vaccinated every year) you need to restart.

First vaccine then 4 weeks later second dose of vaccine then third dose is within 185(?) days, then thereafter is annually.

Machaelaj

Visit site
Yes, if you don't have a record- is it not on his passport? Then you need to restart. Also if it has lapsed within 1 year(can't remember exact dates but must be vaccinated every year) you need to restart.

First vaccine then 4 weeks later second dose of vaccine then third dose is within 185(?) days, then thereafter is annually.
I’ve got his passport but the previous owner had it replaced as he was rescued from the isle of white due to a relationship split, so he didn’t have original passport and had to get new

Machaelaj

Visit site
You have to re start the course for flu and tetanus I think they have 3 so many weeks apart then it is just yearly.
Okay so it would be a restart if the vaccs and then next year a booster and so forth

It won’t do anything if he’s already had the vaccs?

dorsetladette

Visit site
Okay so it would be a restart if the vaccs and then next year a booster and so forth

It won’t do anything if he’s already had the vaccs?
No it won't do anything - just means he is up to date.

Having him up to date means you can take him out to events and competitions that stipulate you require them. I have all mine done even though two of them don't go out yet as I feel it's better safe than sorry. Others have a different view point for their ponies that don't leave the yard.

94lunagem

Visit site
I have all mine done even though two of them don't go out yet as I feel it's better safe than sorry. Others have a different view point for their ponies that don't leave the yard.
Agreed, I have my ponies done who don't go anywhere. I think tetanus in particular is important.

I don't worry if I miss the annual due date by a few days or a week, immunisation wise it makes no difference, but you do need to watch the dates if you want to be out competing.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
When there was a flu outbreak a few years ago and venues were checking, I had to get my ex racer's redone as the dates were wrong. They were in his passport flagged 1,2 and 3 but the gap between them were too long so they weren't valid. They were done when he was in racing/training.

Machaelaj

Visit site
Agreed, I have my ponies done who don't go anywhere. I think tetanus in particular is important.

I don't worry if I miss the annual due date by a few days or a week, immunisation wise it makes no difference, but you do need to watch the dates if you want to be out competing.
Ahh okay thanks so much for the insight

Machaelaj

Visit site
When there was a flu outbreak a few years ago and venues were checking, I had to get my ex racer's redone as the dates were wrong. They were in his passport flagged 1,2 and 3 but the gap between them were too long so they weren't valid. They were done when he was in racing/training.
Oh okay so definitely worth getting it done

Gamebird

Visit site

The correct intervals are 21-60 days, and 120-180 days.

holeymoley

Visit site
The correct intervals are 21-60 days, and 120-180 days.
Thanks. Interestingly, or perhaps worryingly, I've just called my vet to pay for 2nd dose that my youngster had the other day, she insists 3rd vaccine is not before 150 days. Can anyone clarify this? I've seen rules before 2024 is 150-180 days, rules after Jan 2024 is 120-150 days.

dorsetladette

Visit site
Thanks. Interestingly, or perhaps worryingly, I've just called my vet to pay for 2nd dose that my youngster had the other day, she insists 3rd vaccine is not before 150 days. Can anyone clarify this? I've seen rules before 2024 is 150-180 days, rules after Jan 2024 is 120-150 days.

I got confused about mine when i had to restart Ben. I thought he needed his 6 month one in the first 2 weeks of march. On calling the vet I couldn't have it done until 28th march onwards. I just put trust in them that their calculations are correct - I suppose it is what we pay them for?

holeymoley

Visit site
I got confused about mine when i had to restart Ben. I thought he needed his 6 month one in the first 2 weeks of march. On calling the vet I couldn't have it done until 28th march onwards. I just put trust in them that their calculations are correct - I suppose it is what we pay them for?
Indeed. But conveniently if it was 120 days I could tie in with my other horse's vaccines. However if 150 days, she says it must not be done before that.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Vaccs regs (I do our RC ones)

Intervals before 1 January 2024
Intervals from 1st January 2024
1st Vaccination (V1)
2nd Vaccination (V2)21-9221-60 days
3rd Vaccination (V3)150-215 days120-180 days
BoosterWithin 6 months or 12 months (depending on governing body)Within 6 months or 12 months (depending on governing body)

Gamebird

Visit site
Thanks. Interestingly, or perhaps worryingly, I've just called my vet to pay for 2nd dose that my youngster had the other day, she insists 3rd vaccine is not before 150 days. Can anyone clarify this?

There is a bit of a disconnect between the competition rule intervals helpfully posted above, and the manufacturers' datasheet recommendations for vaccine primary course timing. The data sheet states that the third dose should be given 5 months after the second. So technically giving it at 120 days, while acceptable under competition rules, is actually off-licence use of the vaccine, and theoretically a vet who does this should get the client to sign a disclaimer for off-licence use. To try to avoid going against the data-sheet guidelines, whilst keeping within competition rules, most vets are trying to do the third dose in the 150-180 day window wherever possible, and this might be the reason for what your vet told you. Or she's very out of date or forgetful and has told you last year's intervals!