Vaccs against Herpes??

juliehannah58

Visit site

Looking at some of my books and articles on the net, a lot of vets recommend you have pregnant mares vaccinated against equine herpes several times during pregnancy.

I wondered what are your thoughts on this and whether people have done it or not?

confused.gif

mlm

Visit site
i was told by my vet when he did the AI that it must be done 3 times during pregnancy and it was very important. i think the first was at 5months. i spoke to a lady that beed on a big scale and the first thing she said was do not forget to have the herpes vaccine. i am definately having mine done.

eventrider23

Visit site
I have spoken to several vets about this and whilst many say yes vaccinate for it - the biggest repro vets all advise against it now. This is because, vaccinating will only stop them getting the abortive reproductive strain of the disease, leaving them susceptible still to the respiratory strain which, if your horse gets it would be better off not having the foal anyway and could more than likely lose the foal (and maybe herself) anyway due to complications, etc. Say that is better to lose the foal and start again another year than to lose them both, etc.

juliehannah58

Visit site
I am very unsure whether or not my mare will need it, as I keep her on my own private land with three others, one of whom goes out competing approx twice a month. People seem very mixed about it!

eventrider23

Visit site
if she is at a yard where there isn't too much moving about of horses, etc. then I wouldn't bother. I have done a lot of research on the subject for a thesis as well as seen lots of studies and have seen alll the things that can happen. Believe me if I were somewhere where the horses were moving around loads I would have it done in a shot BUT having heard all the views, etc. and seeing as my mare's are at a private yard then I am not going to bother.

christine48

Visit site
I always vaccinate my brood mare against Herpes at 5, 7 and 9 months. I know of people who lost foals last year due to herpes it isn't worth the risk. The respiratory form is quite common a lot of competition horses who are diagnosed as having a 'virus' may in fact have had Herpes.

christine48

Visit site
I may be wrong but I believe it lessens the risk of them contracting herpes or if they do contract it it is in a milder form.