Vacuum Cleaner Recommendations

palo1

Visit site
The best vacuum cleaner I have ever had is my Karcher industrial one. I bought it a couple of years ago - within your budget and incredibly powerful! It takes traditional paper bags and mine came with only a few tools but that is fine for me. I think you can probably buy lots of tools but I just need a decent powerful hoover to suck up mud, hair, hay, straw etc!! :) Delighted with mine.

meleeka

Visit site
I have a Shark and I’d recommend. It’s so much better than the Dyson I had before and not too heavy to push. My parents have just got one to replace their Henry which sucked the carpet so well they couldn’t no longer push it.

Roxylola

Visit site
I've just gone from Dyson to Shark and highly recommend the shark - it honestly is much better than the dyson.
I don't know that you'd get one in your budget though, other than that I'd consider a Henry I think, they are generally pretty good and robust

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
Go for the Henry hoover instead. As long as you can stand looking at his patronising smiley face when he lodges himself on a corner, whilst you are swearing & on the verge of a nervous breakdown. If he had fingers, he would give you the finger too, I’m sure. The rows I’ve had with him. One way of course, I’m not that mad...

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I have a Shark.. It's very good, quiet and light. However, I find the dust collector very small after a Dyson.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
We have a cheap and cheerful Hoover Whirlwind. It cost around £50! We have had about 5 Dysons over the year, and TBH it does get dog teeth impressions easier than a Dyson as the plastic is softer, but for £50 I will cope with that.

It is lightweight but very powerful, more powerful than an old Dyson, but possibly not as powerful as a new Dyson. Manages pet hair, grit, whatever.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Marking my place here. I need a new one that can cope with fine white cat hair that sticks to absolutely everything.

My bugbear is grey fine long cat hair that sticks to everything.

All previous cats hair was easily resolved by my Henry. Sadly, this one isn't, we get Eddie hair everywhere! A pet brush on the carpet is the only decent way to remove it, getting on hands and knees! Have tried neighbours Shark and that was as ineffective as my Henry.

{97702}

Visit site
George (industrial Henry) is amazing but at least another 100 on top of your budget

OMG..... I'm not sure how I can resist now I know there is a George hoover.... :D

I have a second hand Dyson that I bought from a local Facebook selling page and it has to cope with 5 dogs in a small bungalow, it manages stoically! The highlight of the evening yesterday was when I hoovered the floor, then left the said Dyson out after I'd cleaned a stain on the carpet so I could the hoover the area when it was dry. George terrier is frightened of the Dyson and wouldn't go for a drink because the water bowl was near the (silent and un-moving) Dyson :D :D

Widgeon

Visit site
We have a Henry - I have tried replacing it with a fancier make but after a few weeks of rage and dog hair everywhere I threw it in the under stairs cupboard and reverted to Henry. Henry was so smug about it.

Clodagh

Visit site
We have a Henry and he does OK considering what he has to deal with. I'm just too mean to spend a fortune on a hoover, and the dogs reshed about 30 seconds after you have put it away.
I am intrigued by the sound of the industrial models though...may have to go look. But not until Henry dies.

Rosemary28

Visit site
My bugbear is grey fine long cat hair that sticks to everything.

All previous cats hair was easily resolved by my Henry. Sadly, this one isn't, we get Eddie hair everywhere! A pet brush on the carpet is the only decent way to remove it, getting on hands and knees! Have tried neighbours Shark and that was as ineffective as my Henry.

Literally everything in my house is covered in fine white cat hair. I've almost given up trying to get rid.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I have a Shark and it's an absolute beast. Thought I'd broken it the other day as it wasn't sucking up dog hair. Turns out it was set on hard flooring and I hadn't noticed ?

L&M

Visit site
I have a 'harry the hound' hoover (Henry's brother!) and love him on hard floors, but did buy a turbo head to do the carpets, as not quite enough suction to get all the pet hair in one run......