Vaginal Discharge

Bananarama

Visit site
Quick question about vaginal discharge on a mare at my yard. We noticed it today, it was quite alot and stuck to her dock as well. It was quite a bright yellow colour. We washed it and no more appeared within a few hours, other than this the mare is completly fine in herself. Is this anything to worry about, what should we do/ look out for?

jenh166

Visit site
She probably does have an infection. However, are you sure its not just discahrge from being in season?
She may not be showing signs of being ill as the infection is still local i.e. contained within her uterus. If you're unsure if its season fluid, or pus then I'd get vet to come and give her some antibiotics, as infections are a lot more difficult to treat once theyve become systemic. They can also cause scarring and fertility problems if left. Hopefully its nothing too serious. Good luck!

Bananarama

Visit site
It is possible thats its just from being in season, but I'm not sure if she is in season and as I said there is quite alot. Not usual for the mare in question as far as we are aware.

fatpiggy

Visit site
When my mare is about to come into season, her urine goes really thick and chalky which leaves a yellow residue at the bottom of her vulva - could that be what you are seeing?