Vaginal infection in puppy

Clodagh

Visit site
Not our pup, but her sister has now had an ongoing vaginal infection for 3 weeks. She has had two courses of ABs and it still hasn't shifted.
What causes it? Is it an internal error or just bad luck? I don't see how they can get dirt up there?
Just curious, and feel sorry for little pup.

5bs

Visit site
My bitch had this it was almost a green colour, it ended up it was her bladder long term antibiotic four months worth.

5bs

Visit site
It was six years ago, it all started after she was spayed, probably had an underlying infection she ended up having half of her bladder removed, she just has pro plain syrup for leakage.

If I had a bitch again I wouldn't have them spayed until after a first season and have a urine test before also.

She is fine now, so long as she has the syrup otherwise she pees, her vagina had stuck together from the infection.

Clodagh

Visit site
Poor little mite. I'm glad she is OK.
AmyMay, I don't know that much detail, it is bone of contention as we had first pick of the litter and we chose our bitch. The people (who we happen to know well) also wanted our bitch but as they were second in line they got the other and now she has been ill. So, it has all got a bit personal so I don't know much at all about what is wrong with her.

fatpony

Visit site
It could be juvenile vaginitis which isn't really a bacterial infection, more a secondary bacterial infection on top of immature anatomy and immature immune system, they grow out of it by the first season but its another reason why its best not to spay until bitches have had one or two seasons.
Alternatively it could be due to bad anatomy (sunken vulva) or more concerning anatomical problems such as ectopic ureters causing urine leakage and subsequent infection.

twiggy2

Visit site
It could be juvenile vaginitis which isn't really a bacterial infection, more a secondary bacterial infection on top of immature anatomy and immature immune system, they grow out of it by the first season but its another reason why its best not to spay until bitches have had one or two seasons.
Alternatively it could be due to bad anatomy (sunken vulva) or more concerning anatomical problems such as ectopic ureters causing urine leakage and subsequent infection.

this, the cause is not always known and it is not always an infection at all and is particularly common in boxers

Fides

Visit site
What does the discharge look and smell like. It could be fungal (thrush) or protozoan (trichomonas), neither or which will respond to antibiotics.

Cedars

Visit site
My girl had this. It was white, and sometimes it wasn't a problem and sometimes it was awful.

We never really got to the bottom of it, and eventually we lost her at 2.5years old anyway. But so many of her problems (skin conditions, ear infections, itchiness) was linked and we always wondered if it was food or allergy related.

Sounds like a very tough situation re: first pick etc :/

Fides

Visit site
My girl had this. It was white, and sometimes it wasn't a problem and sometimes it was awful.

We never really got to the bottom of it, and eventually we lost her at 2.5years old anyway. But so many of her problems (skin conditions, ear infections, itchiness) was linked and we always wondered if it was food or allergy related.

Was it sometimes a bit lumpy? If so, likely thrush

Clodagh

Visit site

I remember Cedars problems, hope it is nothing like that.
Yes is difficult about the pick, but I don't feel any guilt we were on the waiting list for far longer than they were and it is only because someone dropped out they got one at all. Still, I am the bad person. (Not saying you said that, BTW). Pup is on a very high protein puppy food that the breeder specifically recommended not to feed as said it makes the pups OTT but as the vet recommended it they put her on it anyway.

Echo24

Visit site
Very common for pups to have vaginal infections and make pups to develop balling is. (Sheath infection). Bitches in particular squat very low to the ground to pee and this is often how they pick up dirt and cause infections. Keep following your vets advice but I often see it with pups.