Valerian ?

ISHmad

Visit site
Someone at our old yard used to use this. Not sure which make it was but it used to smell lovely and her mare would wolf it down. From memory I think it was a black bottle but couldn't be 100%. All I can remember is that it was liquid not powder.

frozzy

Visit site
Lincoln make valerian cordial (black and yellow packaging) and we used it very successfully years ago before it became a banned substance on a very over excitable WHP. It dosnt smell or taste very nice so you would have to introduce it a few drops at a time and build it up gradually.
Remember though you cannot use it in competition of any kind as it is a banned substance.

hobgoblin

Visit site
I know it's banned but bringing a sharp stressy and big strong horse back into work after 6 months off due to injury
Fine at the mo as has 6 weeks of walking which I can do on the roads grass under foot just makes him think he can go faster !
However as he gets fitter I know he'll start to 'try it on ' I've tried every other type of calmer on this horse over the years, the only thing that's ever taken the edge off are acp tablets but only resort to that as a last measure
He won't be back out competing for at least 6-9 months so thought this might just help keep him focused and a bit more level headed- I hope ! Thanks for replys will get some and give it a go I think

chestnutmarelover

Visit site
I use valerian root for my mare every winter cos even though she doesnt get 'hard' feed, she still hypes up, smells horrible (add loadsa garlic) but definately works. I bought off ebay, a bag lasts weeks whereas a bottle of liquid will cost you way more & won't last as long!!

Alphamare

Visit site
I feed this to my mare, started when she had a tendon injury and couldnt be box rested so had to be calm outside. i now give it to her in the run up to a stressy situation (like begining hand walking or riding) but i dont give it to her all the time as i dont want her to be dependent on it. She LOVES it, eats it out of my hand! I use the actual root not the liquid form.

Vetwrap

Visit site
I use valerian root for my mare every winter cos even though she doesnt get 'hard' feed, she still hypes up, smells horrible (add loadsa garlic) but definately works. I bought off ebay, a bag lasts weeks whereas a bottle of liquid will cost you way more & won't last as long!!

I have used a home made tincture made from Valerian root bought from Ebay. It was excellent when teaching a three year old about loading into trailers. If you buy the root, then you can experiment making the tincture in a form that he will find more palatable. Perhaps mint leaves boiled with the valerian might help cover the smell and taste a little?