Valuation of horseboxes

Jnhuk

Visit site
I have been toying with the idea of changing my 7.5 horsebox so been trying to figure out how folks arrive at a valuation as I am bamboozled at what some folks think their lorry is worth.

As I need a large payload and capacity to fit large horses, I am not looking at those with all mod cons and fitted out living so just really basing my valuation on what the price of the chassis would be plus what the costs of conversion would be?

Is there a guide anywhere?

We went to see what looked a suitable lorry recently and after viewing was really disappointed as we could make it work but would take a lot of internal rearranging to get it how we needed it, plus no record of actual payload although they advertised it as large payload, chassis was sound but older than our current lorry. The ramp was impossible up put up with just one person and imho could easily hurt someone the way it came down which was a deal breaker plus after viewing and realistically thought the real value was about 40% of the advertised price.

Whatever horsebox we look to buy will get inspected and I will ask for a valuation then but in the meantime I am trying to educate myself from adverts and try to put a value on our current one.

Do folks inflate their prices for adverts knowing that they will get knocked down significantly? Eg if you know that you horsebox is worth £10k for example what would you advertise if for?

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Can't help you on prices as there doesn't seem to be much logic used. However, when viewing a 7.5t lorry ask to see the brake test sheet form last test. It will detail the weight on each axle at time of test. Add the two together and subtract from 7500kg to get you available payload. If seller starts telling you that the lorry was loaded up for the brake test then walk away. This is sometimes done for commercial lorries but horseboxes already have sufficient weight to not need this so it's not generally done.