Value my tiny showing saddle! !!!!!!!

xxmariexx

Visit site
So I have the hens teeth....the rocking horse poo.....so hard to find I can’t even find one to compare a price type saddle!
But need a valuation to decide if I sell or not, pony needs a bigger show saddle to suit my growing girl and my jockey, a new double bridle and bits to go affiliated, and if I can’t fund these then I may have to sell this....
A 13inch, full suede, woolen panels, (think it was a made to order) so could be totally unique, Jeremy Rudge showing saddle,
I’ve tried a Facebook page and no one can value it....people are asking for it (I don’t want to sell yet just a price so if I decide to I know what to ask) or comparing it to 14inch flydes, an unknown brand, or that they’ve bought similar for £120....
ive had Jeremy rudge saddles and they cost a bloody fortune! I kind of thought it was more valuable than a fylde, and certainly unbranded saddles,
It is truely gorgeous and I enjoy just looking at it but my daughter now only rides it in the show ring so gathered it’s starting to be a bit wasted, and if I can fund a new saddle without needing to sell this I’ll be hanging it in my house 😂

Shooting Star

Visit site
No idea what it’s worth, sorry, but I’d start advertising it for what you’d be happy with now and if there’s no joy by early spring when everybody is starting to think show season then gradually reduce it.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
However much its technically worth, if its a brand name people don't know much about or if its not a currently fashionable brand, then people wont pay a proper price for it. The fact of it being rare will raise the price though. Maybe its a case of asking quite a large price and waiting for that one person who can see its value to buy it. Most people want something for nothing these days. Especially now there's more awareness that saddles have to fit the horse properly. People simply don't want to pay much for something that might turn out to be of no use to them.

Last edited:

katastrophykat

Visit site
I saw it on the FB page, it’s a lovely little thing and I agree, rate to find a well made 14’’, I know, I’m looking for one! I have a similar unbranded one and gave £85 for it but I do think it’s a case of pop it up and let it run, I’d suggest EBay then you have some protection and if you share it to the showing pages, plenty of people will see it. Then put the minimum for the least you’d be happy with and see what happens.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
A good Rudge is similar to a Giddens, both like hens teeth but bloody good saddles.
Unfortunately you don't want to price yourself out of the market as people new to showing in the last 10 yrs or so will never have heard of them. I'd go for 15% over a comparable Fylde, but that's only my opinion.
My 15" Giddens that's done hoys, Olympia and much more etc is nesting here at home. Can't bear to part with it as it's still pretty immaculate and it might come in useful one day.....

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Sadly quality isn't everything. Fyldes sell at the money they do partly because there is a huge volume in trade for them so people feel they can always move them on, and because they're generally a known quantity, so people know exactly what they need. A custom brand, while it might be better quality, has the issue that no-one has much of a clue if it might fit their pony. Hence the valuation will not be as high as you might hope.

conniegirl

Visit site
Perhaps ask on horsegossip as that is a more showing orientated forum.

That said I would expect any good quality branded show saddle regardless of size to sell for at least £250 if not more, I sold a 14” oakfield show saddle for £350 so wouldn’t be surprised if it was worth that at least

Annagain

Visit site
You could ask Saddles Direct for a valuation, that might give you a starting point?

I'd add at least 50% to anything they value. They offered me £300 for an immaculate Ideal Jessica. The other option was to let them sell it on commission for £600 and they would take 40% of that. I decided to sell it myself and got £500 for it!

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
Dont go to Saddles Direct - totally useless! (Unless your desperate).

Showing saddles don't seem to be fetching much more than the 400-500 mark (from what I've seen). Try the various FB groups. Has taken me since August to sell my Fylde Mick for a decent price and not pennies like some people think they can buy them for.