Vegan Dogs?

Orca

Visit site
Does anyone know much about dogs kept as vegans? I was sad to see a local dog today, at deaths door at the age of seven (not much of an age for a Jack Russell x), yet the owners think he is dying of old age. He certainly looks as if he's dying of old age (skinny, weak, teary eyed, greying, character reduced to meek and creeping) but just a few months ago appeared perfectly happy, spritely, etc. It's been a sudden decline.

I've heard stories of dogs living long, apparently healthy lives on a vegan diet and I was surprised. I would have expected the result of a vegan diet to be what has happened here, i.e. that they might survive on it for a time but not indefinitely.

Obviously, the diet might not be to blame - if his owners believe seven is old and that he's dying of old age, I doubt he's been to the vets. But it's got me wondering what peoples views are of feeding dogs vegan diets and what you might expect the outcome of such a diet to be?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
That is no age at all for a JRT type. I hope you advised that she has a legal obligation to ensure it has appropriate veterinary care, if not please report them.

LHIS

Visit site
I'm a bit confused - is this little dog kept on a vegan diet? What a shame it's not looking too perky.
The idea of keeping a dog on a vegan diet I find (personally) completely bizarre. If this particular little dog is unwell because of that, well that's just heartbreaking. I wonder if it could be considered cruelty to not give a carnivore meat in it's diet?

The dog surely can't be getting the right sustenance it needs from a vegan diet, and though I'm sure a little bit of roughage doesn't do them any harm, they are meat eating animals.

skint1

Visit site
I really do hope a vet is there to advise them, it may be of course that the poor dog's state of health is not connected to their diet. I know I am probably really ignorant but it bothers me immensely when people put cats and dogs on vegan diets. Of course some plant fibre is probably a good thing but these are carnivores, if that offends you, buy a rabbit.

Orca

Visit site
That is no age at all for a JRT type. I hope you advised that she has a legal obligation to ensure it has appropriate veterinary care, if not please report them.

No, I know it can be difficult to determine life expectancy in cross breeds but he is crossed with another breed known to have a long lifespan. I guess I find seven young rather than old regardless (except in the case of Shar Peis and some other breeds, known to have shorter lifespans). I'm not sure it is necessary for a vet to be involved if he is slipping away due to old age and if seven is acceptable as old age, I'm not really in a position to challenge anything on that basis.

I'm a bit confused - is this little dog kept on a vegan diet? What a shame it's not looking too perky.
The idea of keeping a dog on a vegan diet I find (personally) completely bizarre. If this particular little dog is unwell because of that, well that's just heartbreaking. I wonder if it could be considered cruelty to not give a carnivore meat in it's diet?

The dog surely can't be getting the right sustenance it needs from a vegan diet, and though I'm sure a little bit of roughage doesn't do them any harm, they are meat eating animals.

Yes. He is fed a completely vegan diet. These are along the same line as my ponderings and concerns.

Jingleballs

Visit site
Personally I find the idea of a vegan diet for dogs rediculous - it sounds as if that poor dog is not getting the balanced diet he needs hence the ill health.

Personally, I'd try and intervene in some way whether it be reporting the owner for failing to provide properly for the dog or depending on how well you know the owner, perhaps advising to try a different diet - my dog is on the raw diet and thrives on it. IMO dogs need meat!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I'm not sure it is necessary for a vet to be involved if he is slipping away due to old age and if seven is acceptable as old age, I'm not really in a position to challenge anything on that basis.

that sort of weight loss and attitude difference in that timescale, in a middle aged dog should be investigated-don't care what breed it is.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
that sort of weight loss and attitude difference in that timescale, in a middle aged dog should be investigated-don't care what breed it is.

This, Unless the dog were a giant breed it is not dying of 'old age' and it is absolutely necessary that a vet be involved.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
As the owner of a GSD x Rottie who is over 8 years old, but aside from a few greys you wouldn't know that he wasn't a puppy I'm appalled that anyone would do this to an animal. I think you should be reporting them to the RSPCA as surely they are not meeting the needs of the dog? Thats the equivalent cruelty of keeping a horse in a stable and feeding it nothing but meat fgs. (I know dogs are omnivores, but the majority of their diet should be meat!)

The RSPCA should respond, they visited a local lady who was on her third obese labrador that was heading for an early grave like her others, and she has managed to keep the current one a bit slimmer after they went round. She changed vets etc as didn't like their advice, and when questioned on it she would state hers was a show labrador type, not working - either way they were obese!

Cahill

Visit site
seems so wrong to me :( with-holding what the dog needs and cruel.

i bet if he was offered some mince beef and sardines he would pick up.

why do people have to put `human` feelings above the animals wellbeing :(

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
How sad for the dog to be denied his basic rights of a proper diet.

This reminds me of a few years ago, a farmer friend found a neighbouring Westie having a whale of a time with a calf cleansing. He wasn't worried about it but rang the neighbours to tell them where their dog was to be shouted at because "he couldn't be eating that, he's a vegetarian! You better tell him then as he's tucking in and really enjoying it!" was the reply. After that, dog would regularly slip away if he could and have a scrounge whether it be a cleansing or just cow muck, he tucked in all the same; farmer would leave him to it until he had had his fill then ring them with great glee.

Amicus

Visit site
Sounds like the dog definitely needs a trip to the vet, 7 is no age for a little dog, diet may or may not be a factor.
Dogs unlike cats can live healthily on a carefully formulated vegan diet (I can't imagine many dogs choosing too though) but if he's being fed mashed potato and rice then they need to urgently wise up.

jrp204

Visit site

This reminds me of a few years ago, a farmer friend found a neighbouring Westie having a whale of a time with a calf cleansing. He wasn't worried about it but rang the neighbours to tell them where their dog was to be shouted at because "he couldn't be eating that, he's a vegetarian! You better tell him then as he's tucking in and really enjoying it!" was the reply. After that, dog would regularly slip away if he could and have a scrounge whether it be a cleansing or just cow muck, he tucked in all the same; farmer would leave him to it until he had had his fill then ring them with great glee.

Love it! Nothing like seeing the JRT dragging an AB out of the dung pile to have a munch on......she ain't licking my face!!

druid

Visit site
Just to point out that there are dogs on veggie diets for a veterinary issue - mine is intolerant to animal protein, started off as chicken and progressed to even novel meats like Kangaroo. She has a potato and pea based complete dog food which does keep her in good condition and her blood panels are perfect.

alliwantforchristmas

Visit site
So, this seven year old dog looks dreadful, and they haven't taken him/her to the vet? Is that right? Some of my dogs are 13 and 14 but they still get vet care if they look poorly, they are not just left to wither and die! I really despair of people sometimes - this dog could have something perfectly treatable that may or may not be connected to the fact he's been fed a vegan diet. Seven is a 'senior' dog, but not 'old' as in ready to keel over for no good reason. Dog is being denied proper medical care as well as a proper diet.

Annette4

Visit site
I'd be reminding them of their legal obligation to provide the 5 welfare needs which includes suitable diet!

Vegan is not a suitable diet for dogs and is tantamount to neglect IMO. If you want a vegan animal, get a herbivore!

Orca

Visit site
This, Unless the dog were a giant breed it is not dying of 'old age' and it is absolutely necessary that a vet be involved.

Sorry Ester, I don't know how I misread your earlier post but I did. I agree with you (and others), that seven is not old for a jrt x terrier.

It would be if it were one of mine. How to put that to his owners, who appear to have all but given up on him? I did say that seven is not old - glad to have had that supported here and I'm not opposed to speaking with them again.

I hate the idea of vegetarian dogs, however there is this http://www.veggiepets.com/shop/v-dog-crunchy-nuggets-vegetarian-dog-food-15kg.html dog food which at least would be a balanced diet

Good to know there are safer options for people who would choose such a diet for their dog, thank you.

A favourite treat for our family dogs! This did make me chuckle.

Sounds like the dog definitely needs a trip to the vet, 7 is no age for a little dog, diet may or may not be a factor.
Dogs unlike cats can live healthily on a carefully formulated vegan diet (I can't imagine many dogs choosing too though) but if he's being fed mashed potato and rice then they need to urgently wise up.

They do also have a kitten. The food could be properly balanced, it might not be. I think I'm just shocked to have seen such a sudden deterioration (and can't help but wonder about food related issues).

Just to point out that there are dogs on veggie diets for a veterinary issue - mine is intolerant to animal protein, started off as chicken and progressed to even novel meats like Kangaroo. She has a potato and pea based complete dog food which does keep her in good condition and her blood panels are perfect.

The whole family are vegan, so I don't believe it is for the dogs benefit in this case but again, it is good to know that there are such options, thank you.

Annette4

Visit site

A veterinary monitored diet to keep a dog healthy is very different to the dog and situation OP described. I don't think anyone would argue with you on your feeding choice.

LittleMonster

Visit site
Alarm bells come to me when i see cat or dog along with the word vegan.
They are meant to eat meat just because you have wished not to eat it, the dog isnt going to havs the same idea there only eat what you give them!
And its cruel! Tell them to watch the discovery channel.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
7 is no age for a little dog. My nearly 13 year old springer still gallops round the field. Unless for medical reasons, a vegan diet seems bonkers for a dog. I sincerely hope the kitten isn't on a vegan diet, it is an obligatory carnivore. If this is the owner's choice, then I'm sorry for their animals.

No animal knocks on your door and asks to live with you, so choosing to have one means feeding them as well as possible, regardless of your own beliefs.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
It would be if it were one of mine. How to put that to his owners, who appear to have all but given up on him? I did say that seven is not old - glad to have had that supported here and I'm not opposed to speaking with them again.

ask how his appetite is. I assume they profess to love the dog so try to appeal to their compassionate side, if he's not eating suggest he might be sore. if he is eating and not holding weight, suggest something more serious. if they continue to be in denial, maybe point out that legally they need to provide veterinary attention. even if the poor thing was dying of old age, pain relief should surely be a consideration?

They do also have a kitten. The food could be properly balanced, it might not be. I think I'm just shocked to have seen such a sudden deterioration (and can't help but wonder about food related issues).

I sincerely hope the kitten is not on a vegan diet!

Welshy

Visit site
How sad :(

My dog is fed on a complete veterinary diet which is vegetarian as she suffers with a form of IBD as well as some other issues. I would never choose for her to have a meat free diet if this were not the case. And that is coming from a vegetarian herself!!

Orca

Visit site
7 is no age for a little dog. My nearly 13 year old springer still gallops round the field. Unless for medical reasons, a vegan diet seems bonkers for a dog. I sincerely hope the kitten isn't on a vegan diet, it is an obligatory carnivore. If this is the owner's choice, then I'm sorry for their animals.

No animal knocks on your door and asks to live with you, so choosing to have one means feeding them as well as possible, regardless of your own beliefs.

I agree.

ask how his appetite is. I assume they profess to love the dog so try to appeal to their compassionate side, if he's not eating suggest he might be sore. if he is eating and not holding weight, suggest something more serious. if they continue to be in denial, maybe point out that legally they need to provide veterinary attention. even if the poor thing was dying of old age, pain relief should surely be a consideration?

I sincerely hope the kitten is not on a vegan diet!

Me too and thank you. I guess, having known dogs age and slip away, I have no real problem with people choosing to let them go in that way - if they truly are slipping away due to old age. The saddest thing for me was not just the physical but clear emotional/ mental impact on him. He came to me for a fuss as I passed - he isn't usually the type. Very aloof and nervy, normally. I do feel very compelled to try to help, thank you for your advice.

How sad :(

My dog is fed on a complete veterinary diet which is vegetarian as she suffers with a form of IBD as well as some other issues. I would never choose for her to have a meat free diet if this were not the case. And that is coming from a vegetarian herself!!

I think my veggie daughter would agree. She's happy to feed ours raw feed!

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
If they think 7 is old age for a JRT, maybe they just don't know very much about dogs / JRTs (as well as feeding him things that aren't suitable).

Aru

Visit site
To be fair theres plenty of other things that could be wrong with a 7 year old dog that have nothing to do with the diet its on....

He may not be dying of old age but theres many many illness' possibilities at that age range...entirely possible for diet to be conincidental.

If they are not seeming vet care and letting him waste away untreated then yes its cruelty....but they may have already seen a vet.its all speculation at this point unless you know them directly.

Orca

Visit site
If they think 7 is old age for a JRT, maybe they just don't know very much about dogs / JRTs (as well as feeding him things that aren't suitable).

This point has been niggling at me. I do not believe they would intentionally leave him to suffer illness or disease but through their ignorance of lifespans (along with believing that he is a crossbreed, so 'weaker'), they genuinely don't realise that illness/ disease is likely to be what is going on here.

Orca

Visit site
To be fair theres plenty of other things that could be wrong with a 7 year old dog that have nothing to do with the diet its on....

He may not be dying of old age but theres many many illness' possibilities at that age range...entirely possible for diet to be conincidental.

If they are not seeming vet care and letting him waste away untreated then yes its cruelty....but they may have already seen a vet.its all speculation at this point unless you know them directly.

As I said in my OP, it could be anything but the situation did get me wondering about feeding dogs a vegan diet and the possible impact of doing so.

I believe they have not sought vet care because had they done so, they would not have been told their seven year old was dying of old age - which is what they believe. They expect him to go any day now and certainly aren't fighting for him.

I do know them directly and will be attempting to chat with them some more about his age v his state of health, regardless of his diet. I think I was so taken aback when I saw him (and their take on his current state) that I wasn't quite sure what to do.

2Greys

Visit site
My friends vegan & her 3 dogs are fed a vegan complete dry though I can't recall the name. They're all seniors & look in good health, it wouldn't be my choice but tbh some normal dog food has very little meat in it & may also be full of colourings & other crap.