vegetables

Deefa

Visit site
Mine have swede, parsnip, brussel sprouts, carrot and a few other things sometimes
laugh.gif

Malibu

Visit site
potatoes bad and onions as already said, i think leeks etc you just would fed to the horses.

Mine get aples, carrots, brocali, coliflower, plums without sone obvi and bannas. Not tried anything else

katylee

Visit site
forgot to say mine have the normal carrots, apples and swede and they love pears. might make them a vegetable plate one night and see what they like!

merlinsquest

Visit site
My horse is much envied at the yard!!! Most nights he has a box of all the egetable peelings that are prepared at the nursing home that is at the end of the road.

At any one time he will get

CAULIFLOWER - MOSTLY THE OUTSIDES
BROCOLLI
SWEDE
CARROTS
CABBAGE
KALE (IF ITS NOT THE SAME THING)!

Plus any fruit that does not get eaten... never really that much and he hates bananas, strange as he eats anything else!!

As said before, onions and spuds are a big no no, he can be heard scrunching the cauliflower a good few stables away!!

And no he does not get windy!!

Just look at the shiney coat, it cant be doing him any harm can it??

DSC_0003-2.jpg

dwi

Visit site
potatoes are poisonous uncooked, as they are for humans. It wouldn't kill you straightaway and some people do feed peelings I know but as I understand it it gives a slow build up of poison within the system.

I'm sure somebody else can explain it better but I certainly wouldn't feed them

jemima

Visit site
Oooh salcey - I'll suggest that to a friend with a bored horse on box rest.

During the winter ours are regularly fed on carrots and parsnips. At other times when the fruit is in season then eat apples, pears, grapes, plums and peaches - all the surplus and windfall fruit we grow really. As they graze under the plum trees they're used to getting their fruit with stones in and are each very careful to suck all the flesh off and spit the stone out. It amuses visitors greatly to have a line of nags all enjoying their fruit and then spitting the stones out one by one.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Mine get everything apart from onions and spuds. I never had any waste from the kitchen in terms of veggies, fruit and bread. They love their scraps and have never shown any sign of problems.

I personally think to give them a varied diet is good as their guts are less prone to problems as they are used to dealing with different feed types.

I also get them the biggest swede I can find and put a string through it for the days they are in. Only problem I have is finding one big enough to stop Cairo eating it in a couple of mins - he has a huge gob.

littleboyblue

Visit site
carrots, apples and turnips. I once tried to give him a bit of mango and he stood for a good 10 mins sucking it and then it just slid out of his mouth, the look on his face was hilareous! (pretty much "what just happened")

ru-fi-do

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
We drill a hole through swedes and suspend them from the ceiling on a knotted rope. Keeps them happy for hours in the winter!

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this for mine, keeps them quite for a while. A friend pays £1 to the local greengrocer and every Saturady picks up a sack of unwanted fruit and veg the horses love it!

tazet

Visit site
hi mine get anything and everything if they like it they get it but only small amounts at a time including spud peelings. i was once told and have also read that if your horse has done a hard days work ie hunting then a spud in the feed is good as it helps with the prevention of tying up as well as salt as with anything moderation and not bucket loads
pss i knew a hores that loved onions but didn't give her much probably a small bit once a month if it was in the scraps bag.

Enfys

Visit site
I offered my new ponies plain carrot peelings and they didn't know what to do with them
confused.gif
! In fact, they simply don't know what to do with anything offered on the hand! Obviously this lot have never had tit bits, good!

I'll try them on the kale I have left over in my vegetable patch tomorrow, see what they think of that.

Tia

Visit site
Not many people tidbit over here - none of mine knew what to do with them either. Suits me as I do not "do" tidbits.

tazet

Visit site
dito nor do i if they get a treet it goes in there feed none of mine bite or nip as they do not expect something. whatch out with kale its ok in small amounts but too much can give the runns if they are not used to it

barkinghorse

Visit site
When is was a kid, we had a deal with the local grocer that we would get all the old fruit and veg for free if my mum gave his daughter a riding lesson every week!
thats all the horses used to get apart from some bran and oats in winter!!
( we are talking late 60's early 70's before complex horse feeds were available)!!
Jo