Vehicle Weight

Madam_max

Visit site
Further to the post below I have my lorry Brake test in front of me, soo does that give you the unladed weight? If so what does GVW, GTW mean. Do you add each axle amount together.

I realise this may be a totally blonde question, but oh well!!
grin.gif

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
What's a train weight?
grin.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Gross Train Weight is the maximum allowed weight of the vehicle and any trailer it may be towing
smile.gif

Gross Vehicle Weight will be the max allowed (fully loaded) weight of the vehicle...so 7495kgs would be a 7.5t wagon for instance
smile.gif

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thank you. Do you know if I can find out on this test how much my lorry weighs?
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, usually when they MOT your lorry, they will weigh it too. There should be a note of the weight of the vehicle when it was tested along with the brake test report
crazy.gif
That's how mine was anyway !

Tempi

Visit site
we only ever really take one anyways. however we're not taking two again till ive passed my 'c' test. Got my provisionals back now so am going to do my C1 first then my C.

And guess what im getting for xmas - my lorry theory test book *YAY*!!

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Oh,
grin.gif
. I just noticed it. Blimey
shocked.gif
5932 kg
shocked.gif
. My horse weighs 590kg, along with another, I almost pushing it.
shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You're about 200kgs more than mine with nothing on it.

I've always assumed my horses weigh about 500kgs each, water (and probably fuel too) weighs about 1kgs per litre, so a full tank of diesel is probably another 100kgs. Each adult you carry will weigh about 80kgs average, and each child approx 40kgs. Add saddles, bridles, grooming kit, TV, pots, pans etc... and you're getting a lot of weight onboard
smile.gif

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
we only ever really take one anyways. however we're not taking two again till ive passed my 'c' test. Got my provisionals back now so am going to do my C1 first then my C.

And guess what im getting for xmas - my lorry theory test book *YAY*!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Even with your HGV license, you aren't allowed to carry more than the GVW of your lorry, which will be 7.5t with your current vehicle
crazy.gif

Madam_max

Visit site
Thanks. All the stuff was on there when it was tested, incl generator etc, full tank. I think people will be suprised about the weight of their horses a Corroy is only 15.3 ID x TB (more TB) and she was weighed at Liphook at 590kg.
shocked.gif

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks. All the stuff was on there when it was tested, incl generator etc, full tank. I think people will be suprised about the weight of their horses a Corroy is only 15.3 ID x TB (more TB) and she was weighed at Liphook at 590kg.
shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps I need to take my two neds to the weighbridge then lol! One's a 16.3 WB and the other a slightly chunkier 16.2hh WB
shocked.gif

Madam_max

Visit site
Yes, I thought Corroy would only be about 500kg, especially if you look at feed guides. Having worked all of that out I think I am prob just, only just on the limit.
confused.gif

Tempi

Visit site
Yup you're right, however if we decided to get an HGV then i can drive that instead.

But as bloss is going into foal we wont be taking two anywhere either way! Also our lorry is very light as the cupboards etc are made from some light wood (cant rember what its called) and the exterior is like carbon fibre stuff but obviously not! Its not wooden.

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
PMSL!!!!

corroy8.jpg

Not exactly heavy weight is she?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sh1t ! My estimate of 500kgs each for my two is looking way off the mark now
tongue.gif

RobinHood

Visit site
Our lorry weighs 6200kg so we can only take 2 horses which is a pain even though it's partitioned for 5.

I have 2 15.3hh tbs, one weighs 500kg and the other weighs 515kg and both look in pretty good condition.

squirtlysmum

Visit site
You will find any weights for lorries and cars on the manufacturers plate which is normally located under the bonnet of cars and on the up right posts near the driver or passenger doors on lorries. There will normally be about four or five weights on there, generally the first two are axle weights and then GVW and GTW. All the weights are designed to show the maximum that is allowed, so for example a 7.5T lorry would probably show 7490 kgs. Be warned that generally prosecution will commence when a vehicle is 10% over its allowed weight.
In some counties the Police will weigh trailers and work out how overwight each axle is, so if you travel a big fat neddy in a little trailer with a Ford Fiesta you is in trouble.
Hope this has been of some help, or are you thoroughly confused!

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Get yourself down to the local (hopefully) public weighbridge. There, they'll weigh your front axle, your back axle and all the lorry, so, three seperate figures. Your plating cert will tell you the max loading on each axle and for a 7.5t vehicle, 7495 kgs is the maximum weight allowed when full of everything - people, fuel, equines, tack, butties and dog.