Velvet, now a month old!

Pony_Puzz

Visit site
Well Velvet (Arkadi Dream (finally decided on a show name)) is now a month old and she's a little terror!! Walked away from her the other day to catch out of the corner of my eye a foal trying to rear on me!
She's still really funny about you going to her but will happily come towards you and I can get her nose in a headcollar so think I'll leave her till weaning and then start her from there as she just depends on mum too much at the moment.

So here she is!
Photo0560.jpg

Photo0561.jpg

Photo0553.jpg

Photo0554.jpg

Haven't got any moving pictures though because my dad kept shouting me when I was trying to get some but I do know she moves beautifully and has mastered canter piaffes already! :D So pleased with her but maybe not her troublemaking at the moment!

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Ahh, love the lying down pic! She is lovely!

Hazel has been through a few erm 'playful' stages, (the turning bum on you in stables and having tiny bucks stage, the rearing and bashing Granny in the ear stage, the bitey bitey stage... oh wait she's still in that one :rolleyes: ) but is mostly back to being a small angel at the moment, sure she is just planning her next new 'stage'......... :D

Pony_Puzz

Visit site
Velvet just likes to try rear on you when you walk away, as though you must NOT ignore her when she wanted attention. Also went through a kicking when turning her bum to you stage but thats not so bad anymore after getting a tap on the bum (she also respects the electric tape). I'm just very annoyed at the fact she wont let me grab her (much too big now) to put a headcollar on her so thinking I'll leave her till shes weaned when she'll be bigger so not as "aww can't hurt the foal" like to my mum etc so they will just get stuck in.

chrissie1

Visit site
I'll keep trying to get the foal slip on her but if not then yes when she is weaned she will have a headcollar put on

Please please get some help with this foal, she will need handling to prevent her getting either wary of humans, or too big for her boots. She will need worming, farrier, flu/te injections etc plus if she were in need of the vet how would you do that with a foal that hasn't been handled?

Unless, as before, I haven't got it right? You don't need to leave the headcollar on, in fact I never leave a foal in the field with a headcollar on, but they are all well handled and don't associate our arrival and wanting to catch them with anything bad. Quite the reverse in fact.

Pony_Puzz

Visit site
The difference is this foal is quite timid (we weren't around for a few hours after she was born, luckily foaling went fine!), she may have slight naughty behaviour but she'll actually turn around and shoot off if you move towards her any further than her head/neck really. I'll try as much as possible but really its me by myself that has to try catch her and put the headcollar on her. I'm pretty sure now that shes becoming a bit braver I'll be able to start doing things like this though without her running away at the first little sign of movement.

millhouse - Mum is a gem too, best temperament I could ask for from a mare and I'm so glad we have her :)