Verbally abused for not overtaking!!!

pottamus

Visit site
To those horse riders (possibly from Alfreton Stables) that I was behind this morning on a busy major road...thank you for verbally abusing me because I wanted to make sure I could see over the brow of a blind hill before overtaking you this morning!!!
Yes you may well have been waving me on...but you waved me on the first time only to suddenly change your mind as a car came over the hill...had I listened to your impatient waving for me to overtake, I would have had to have braked, crashed head on or veered into the side of you to take evasive action!
Please bear in mind that despite the fact that you are waving me on to say the road is clear, I could not see and had lost confidence in your instructions. The highway code also gives ME the responsibility of ensuring that the road is clear before overtaking on the wrong side. In the event of an accident, it would be my fault, not yours.
To be quite clearly verbally abused and have you throw your arms up in a frustrated rage because I waited all of 20 seconds till I could see the road was clear before overtaking was down right rude and insulting.
You give yourself and other horse riders a bad name your rude mare...you also pi**ed me off. Maybe someone who is not a horse rider themselves may not show you the same consideration when you do that to them. Read your highway code and learn some manners and patience please.

bluedanube

Visit site
Pottamus,

It's a pet hate of mine as well. I never take the advice of a rider (horse or cycle) as to when I should overtake. I'm the one driving I make the decisions.
So well done for being safe.
Just ignore the idiots.

maisie06

Visit site
I would be up the stables to find them and give a piece of my mind. I hate rude riders, also a letter to the local paper and a post on any local horsey facebook groups. This is why I have a Dashcam. I had a silly cow last week screeching at me as I passed slow and wide and she was on a wide verge anyway and her horse kept spooking at my car only baby spooks that any decent rider would have easily dealt with, apparenly my fault as I was driving a diesel......Told her to stick to a school until she could ride properly...oops! And posted the silly boots actions on my FB page where others were incredulous over her behavior ans seem to think her screeching was more upsetting for the horse than anything else!!!!!

Last edited:

muckypony

Visit site
I was taught in the pony club riding and road safety test that tiu never wave a car on even if you can see, so I never do.

No wonder us horsey people get a bad name!

quirky

Visit site
Just to play devil's advocate. Why were they frustrated with you?
If you were a safe and reasonable distance behind, not over revving or being impatient, then her actions were misguided.
Maybe you were a little close, so her frustrations may be justified.

Ponycarrots

Visit site
"her horse kept spooking at my car only baby spooks that any decent rider would have easily dealt with, apparenly my fault as I was driving a diesel"

Oh no, how dare we have diesel cars with louder engines; id better go and part ex mein for a petrol JUST IN CASE some silly cow's horse gets scared and she freaks out.

Do people not realise they're prey animals but they will get desensitised to things eventually IF you stay calm and let them relax!?
I hate these dumb riders who think if their horse spooks it's the end of the world and it's everyone else's fault and it should never happen.

Carlosmum

Visit site
I will wave a car on but only if the car can see forwards. For example yesterday, a car came up behind me there was another parked on the opposite side of the road slightly ahead. The choices were ...

car stays behind as no room for it to pass, then has to wait as there was a corner coming so it couldn't pass anyway, I end up with a car behind & feel like I'm holding it up.

or

I halted well before the parked car, and signalled to the car behind to pass me, he had time to return to the correct side before meeting the parked car & before the corner.

I have also signalled a car to pass when I have had a spooky beastie & we've dived into gateway. In these situations I feel its a case of indicating to the car.. I know you're there & want to pass, I am now in a position for you to do so.

pottamus

Visit site
quirky - I was deffinately not too close to them...I am a horse rider so know the rules, risks and have common sense. They were cross because I would not overtake when they beckoned for me to do so.

soapy

Visit site
I was stuck behind 2 riders who were riding (aka plodding) side-by-side down the road I was driving along t'other day. Not a crime in it's own right, but the fact that one was showing the other something on her mobile phone was mildly irksome. Thinking of the horses I waited for a safe place to pass: without any acknowledgement from the riders for my patience. When I eventually passed? Not a word of thanks. I kind of understand why some drivers don't give horse riders any respect.

pansymouse

Visit site
My horse doesn't like cars behind however considerate they are so I stop her in a safe place and let them pass; to me that's a win-win situation and no one gets stressed or put in a dangerous situation.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
Last summer I got same from two girls from another yard to me...but I was driving the carriage, my friend had got off and stood at horses head and I was stood still waiting for them to pass...but got lots of F words ! But really they should be more tolerant...horse riders don't own the road.. I know some horses think a horse and carriage is a scarey thing, but there was plenty space for us both. And I did say I was going left in few paces, and they could go away from us for 100 yards and I would be out of their sight ...more abuse..

cobalobM

Visit site
I would be up the stables to find them and give a piece of my mind. I hate rude riders, also a letter to the local paper and a post on any local horsey facebook groups. This is why I have a Dashcam. I had a silly cow last week screeching at me as I passed slow and wide and she was on a wide verge anyway and her horse kept spooking at my car only baby spooks that any decent rider would have easily dealt with, apparenly my fault as I was driving a diesel......Told her to stick to a school until she could ride properly...oops! And posted the silly boots actions on my FB page where others were incredulous over her behavior ans seem to think her screeching was more upsetting for the horse than anything else!!!!!

i want to see this video!!! ;)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I do wave cars on when on bike and horse when I am positioned ahead of the car and can see round a corner they can't yet as I don't like to hold anyone up longer than possible.

However I also get them overtaking me on blind bends in a mad fashion :p and was reserve the right to do my own thing when driving. The best was being waved on by the support car of a lands end/john o'groats bike ride, on a blind corner, on an A road that was most definitely not clear.