Vertical tutoring? (non horsey)

Raych

Visit site
So, our school has just put in this new scheme where we have to mix forms with people in all different years.

form is only 40 minutes long, but theyve seperated us for lunch aswell, so its kind of a big thing for us all.

Plus im in year 10, soon to be year 11, so i was really used to my form and the way everything was run, so half of this anger will be to do with me not liking change.

anyway, my new form? I HATE THEM. i got chased by a year 7 boy with a deoderant can who was trying to "spray it up my nose" and managed to spray my back with it, rigth up close, causing it to 'burn'. ta mate. coz thats not dangerous at all.
And yeah im a year 10, but i dont like conflict. so i dont want to retaliate. plus we're supposed to be setting a good example for younger years, so i really cba with it all.

im currently writing a letter of complaint to my head teacher, (im a really good student so i havent ever had any problems with her). the letter is quite balanced but expresses my opinions about the whole CRUD vertical tutoring.

i dont know whether to send it or not, because the system has only been in place for 3 days, but everyone is hating it. and i have gcse's next year and i want to use my form time to revise, not have to babysit.
plus im with none of my friends for lunch, so its really unfair. (lunchtime and form are in the middle of the day)
i mean they have to try new things, but this is just extreme.

anyone have any advice on whether to send it or not? and if anyone else has vertical tutoring in their school.

sorry i needed to get this off my chest, and thanks in advance for reading and replying.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Have the staff explained why this change has been made? Was the School Council involved in the decision? What are the procedures for dealing with bad behaviour like that of the Y7 boy?
I would think that if your letter is well-written and explains why you don't like the changes as well as saying that you don't like the new system, the Head should look favourably on it but perhaps it would be better to approach your Head of Year, either in person or by letter, first. Then if necessary you can tell the Head that you took this step but are still worried. Before you send a letter to any staff member it would be a good idea to ask an uninvolved adult to read it, just to check that what you feel is a reasonable tone does come across that way.
Good luck!

Raych

Visit site
well there are 4 people from each year in a form, so 4 year 7's, 4 year 8's etc all the way up to year 13.
and yes it will continue throughout the enitrity of my school life, which i am not going to enjoy at all.

branmash

Visit site
Hi ,Maybe have a word with your form tutor or head of year before sending the letter and see what they say

best of luck, changes are always difficult :)

Raych

Visit site
Have the staff explained why this change has been made? Was the School Council involved in the decision? What are the procedures for dealing with bad behaviour like that of the Y7 boy?
I would think that if your letter is well-written and explains why you don't like the changes as well as saying that you don't like the new system, the Head should look favourably on it but perhaps it would be better to approach your Head of Year, either in person or by letter, first. Then if necessary you can tell the Head that you took this step but are still worried. Before you send a letter to any staff member it would be a good idea to ask an uninvolved adult to read it, just to check that what you feel is a reasonable tone does come across that way.
Good luck!

the change has been made to "benefit all years", well it is really not. and nothing so far has been done about the year 7.
i will ask my parents to read it. aswell as my new "head of house", seeing as we now no longer have "head of years".
noone is taking this whole scheme seriously, like in assemblys people just take the mick and talk all the way through it. i know i sound like a swat, but i kind of am, i go to school to work, so why take advantage of it?
i want to do well and this new system is actually forcing me into not wanting to come to school

Last edited:

CrazyMare

Visit site
I've seen this implimented in schools, and be hated by staff and students alike.

Write to the head, an encourage your friends to as well - even if you all help each other formulate balanced letters

Raych

Visit site
I've seen this implimented in schools, and be hated by staff and students alike.

Write to the head, an encourage your friends to as well - even if you all help each other formulate balanced letters

a few people have also written letters, but are too scared to send them. i want to start the rage lol, but im till a big scaredy cat ;)

i hope we can get it banned :)

Berpisc

Visit site
I work at a school where we have had vertical tutoring for three years now. From a whole school point of view it has stopped a lot of the bullying problems we had. The school I work at has a very varied mix of kids with very differing social backgrounds.
You may well be having problems with kids who are being immature about the changes which is a pain, and your form tutor should be stamping on that TBH. Talk to your head of house, and your parents about this. The year 7 should be dealt with anyway (vertical tutoring or not) remember to try not to give such immature people the attention they crave though it can be very difficult sometimes.
School might be trying to give things time to settle down with things like assemblies etc, just ignore the numpties as best you can. If in time you still feel stuck in a form with no mates, see if you can be moved, but like you say, if vertical tutoring is what is in place, you may have to stick with it. You may make friends in your form though. Its worse for those of you who were in a form going up through school, especially if you got on well as a group.

Dont let a few numpties put you off track in Y11, THEY are not worth it, YOU are;)

Raych

Visit site
hmm, i would appreciate it if anyone would like to read through the letter i am going to send.

thanks for all advice :)