Very boisterous pony

Groom Mum

Visit site
My youngster is becoming a pest.

He is a rescue pony and is 3 yrs old, gelded but not broken hes a companion pony.

Ive been having problems when trying to feed him, he chases me with the feed bowl and cuts across me and barges me, he's become quite dangerous.

Ive been trying to make him wait but it seems to make him more impatient and bolshy.

This has always happened but the last three days or a bit longer but tonight he was really dangerous. We just introduced a new pony to the other two and im sure he is worse now. Although the new one doesnt feed near him and doesnt come near him while he is eating.

I just dont know what to do to instill some manners into him. He isnt stabled they have a shelter they will not stay in a stable with the door shut so its not like i could shut him in to eat. Although i probably could i think he would stay there is there was food in the stable.

Any idea what i can do please?

He really is a friendly boy but he doesnt seem to know his boundaries and doesnt give any personal space.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Assuming he is properly halter broken, I would be catching him daily and instilling manners into him and I would not be feeding him anything unless he is poverty struck.

Groom Mum

Visit site
you mean starve him?
He is halter broken but what do you mean? catch him and hold on to him while my other one eats?
I dont really understand what you mean?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
you mean starve him?
He is halter broken but what do you mean? catch him and hold on to him while my other one eats?
I dont really understand what you mean?

No ! I don't mean starve him at all. Does he actually need a bucket feed. Most ponies doing no work at this time of year will not need concentrates. If feeding is resulting in bad/dangerous behaviour don't feed him.

By barging you he is taking control of you. Catch him daily, work him in hand, tie him up to groom etc and at all times it is you that moves him not the other way round. He is just being cheeky and testing boundaries. Set your boundaries and don't move them. Be firm if you need to be, carry a short piece of pipe or half a broom handle when you school him in hand. Insist he stays away from you and at your side. Work done now will set him up for the rest of his life.

Equi

Visit site
How much experience have you got in young horses/training? At that age he will be trying his luck and have lots of energy. Is there any reason he can NOT be worked/broken to lines lunge etc?

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
It sounds to me that you need someone to help you, will the rescue centre send a behaviourist ... you need to learn how to deal with your ponies.
Its not rocket science but neither is it in our own genes.

Last edited:

Shay

Visit site
Ditto the others - he's at that age where he is trying to see if he can become dominant. Even if he will never be backed to ride he still needs to be trained to behave correctly around humans. Think of him like a somewhat delinquent spotty teen. He needs to know his boundaries and his limits.

Very few horses not in work need additional feed this time of year. If feeding is a bone of contention then stop it. (Excess calories not only give him excess energy he may gain weight and start down the road to life long health problems - just like humans!)

And get a professional to help you with his training. Rescue centers are excellent at helping those who house their animals.

HBB

Visit site
Are you just feeding him loose in the field? If you are, I would catch the pony, take him out the field, then feed him. I wouldn't be feeding a rude pony loose in the field.