Very dumb questions about buying a horse (vetting/sales receipt)

sophicient

New User
Visit site
Hello. Before I start, I will just say that I know these are probably very stupid questions, but I struggle with social anxiety so if I could get simple and clear answers, pretending I know nothing I would really appreciate it.

1. Would it be considered rude to ask the owner to film you ride?
  1. How do you organise a vetting?
Specifically how do you organise one while making sure that the vet and owner are both free? Also if you’re not going to attend the vetting how and when (before or after) do you pay and how? Also how do you get the vet report?

1. Payment and signing the sales receipt
How exactly does this work when you cannot meet with the owner again after having tried the horse

AntiPuck

Visit site
Wanted to say, I also have social anxiety and am nagged by the exact same questions as you (plus 20+ other variations of!)- stupid or not! It's the "who does what, and when!?" stuff that really makes me anxious, but this must be completely obvious to those who have been through the process before.

honetpot

Visit site
Hi, the buyer usually organises the vetting, they give the vet the owners phone number, and they organise it direct with the owner. If you want to be present at the vetting, tell them when you are available.
As a seller I wouldn't mind filming you, but be aware ATM it seems to be a buyers market, so if you are wanting a long time to compare horses you may be asking too much.
I expect the vet to be arranged within the week, you choose your own, I do not take deposits usually, but if they do it should have a reciept with the terms.i.e refundable if on vetting it is not suitable for the purpose it is being bought for. This is because a top competition horse will have a different standard that a pony/riding club all rounder. Remember the vet is only assessing the animal on what they see that day, It's not really a guarantee, more like a house survey, picking up things that may be or are a problem that day.
If you can not discuss with the vet your requirements, I would write them down, or get someone to your proxy.
If you are arranging transport, they will need the passport to travel, they and you should not accept the animal without the passport and the vet should check it matches the horse you are buying when vetting. There are some unscrupulous people, so if your not going to be there, perhaps send a photo or a copy of the ad, just to make sure the horse presented is the right one.
If you do online banking you can transfer the money when the horse is collected, be aware that sometimes the money takes time to appear in the sellers account. I will not let it go off the yard until the money is in my account, so I like cash. My husband checks the money, I check the passport, and make the buyer sign that they have received it on the copy of the receipt.
As soon as the money changes hands its yours, so you need insurance, if you want it from that day.
Most sales go through with no problems, but its not buying a car.

Equi

Visit site
No not rude to ask then to film, they will be happy to oblige if they are genuinely interested in a good home. Re vetting ask when suits the owner (ie any particular day etc) then ring around for vets in the area and see if any are available for that time. They can tell you on the spot what their opinion is and will then send a written copy to you. If you are arranging a transporter to bring the horse they will need the passport so they can hand it over to you - ask the owner to send a photo of a hand written receipt stating the horses name and description, amount, date and who they have sold it to.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Make sure passport is seen by you when trying horse.

Call chosen vet practice to let them know you are looking at a horse near xyz town and you might well want it vetted if the viewing goes ok, keep fingers crossed they might be free. Vets appreciate notice if possible.

The seller must have the passport to hand at the vetting. Vet will check this against horse and microchip.

If you are not able to attend vetting, vet usually phones through when completed. Written report will follow in next day or so, do listen carefully on phone.

Make sure you have transport available before you arrange vetting, rather than running around after. Passport is handed over with horse when collected after payment has been made in full.

Good luck x

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will get lots of different answers to your questions, but I will try to give you mine.

Would it be considered rude to ask the owner to film you ride?
It's a bit unusual, but I wouldn't consider it rude to ask the owner. It all depends on what sort of person they are. If I were you, I would try to find someone to go with you to do that. It's always useful to have a second person at the viewing anyway as there is often a lot to take in and you will be able to discuss things afterwards.

How do you organise a vetting?
Do you have a local equine vet? You need to make sure that it is not the same vet that the seller already uses. You would phone up the vet practice to book the vetting. Depending on how far out of their area the vetting will be, the vets might charge mileage on top of the pre purchase examination. You will need to consider whether you want a two or a five stage vetting - best to discuss that with the vet practice as it will depend on lots of things, not least what you want to do with the horse in the future. In terms of paying for the vetting, the vets will most likely bill you afterwards, but if you are new to them, they might ask for a payment upfront. You need to discuss that with the practice in question. The vet will usually discuss the vetting with you over the phone if you are not able to be there, and will likely send a report 24-48 hours after the vetting depending on how busy they are.

Payment and signing the sales receipt
Depending on how much the horse is, the easiest way to pay is by bank transfer. If you are not able to meet the seller face to face, then a scanned copy or photo of the signed receipt should suffice. Make sure your insurance is in place before you pay for the horse, although there is usually a 14 day period before much of it kicks in. You need to read the wording thoroughly so you know what is covered straight away and what isn't.

Good luck! And please report back on your purchase when it happens. :)

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Ditto above advice; appreciate it may be difficult if you're working or there is a huge distance-factor involve, but I would strongly advise that you attend the vetting in person if you can. It helps the attending vet to get a "feel" of the client and chat to them about what they want to do with the horse, and that sort of thing.

Always always always get a vet of YOUR choice to do the vetting. Don't ever let the seller arrange this! I remember going to a certain dealer's yard and there was a big notice up saying that if a vetting was required then there was a "list" which the client would be presented with and that vets from any of those practices would be welcome to conduct vettings at the yard - however the intimation was that if you wanted a vet that was NOT on their list then that individual wouldn't be welcome!!! This dealers was later done for sharp practices under Trading Standards. Surprise surprise.

OP, without wishing to make an assumption, may I very gently suggest that you seek support with this whole buying process if this is your first equine purchase. Even experienced buyers can be taken in and it is very easy to get carried away - another pair of eyes when you're going to view a horse is always a good idea and I feel you need perhaps a little bit of support?? Perhaps your instructor, or a friend who knows you and your riding ability, would accompany you on a viewing??

Remember your A, B, C. A: accept nothing you're told to be true; B: believe nothing you're told; C: check everything you're told - and I would add a 'D' as well, which is DON'T under any circumstances get up on something you haven't seen ridden first. If they won't show it to you under saddle then walk away, whatever the excuse and however "nice" the horse looks.

sophicient

New User
Visit site
Thank you, everyone. Your answers have all been very helpful (and comforting)

If you do online banking you can transfer the money when the horse is collected, be aware that sometimes the money takes time to appear in the sellers account. I will not let it go off the yard until the money is in my account, so I like cash. My husband checks the money, I check the passport, and make the buyer sign that they have received it on the copy of the receipt.
Do you think 3.5k is too much to hand over in cash?

OP, without wishing to make an assumption, may I very gently suggest that you seek support with this whole buying process if this is your first equine purchase. Even experienced buyers can be taken in and it is very easy to get carried away - another pair of eyes when you're going to view a horse is always a good idea and I feel you need perhaps a little bit of support?? Perhaps your instructor, or a friend who knows you and your riding ability, would accompany you on a viewing??
Yes, that was the original plan, but unfortunately my friend got COVID. So I am hoping that owner could film me so I could send it back to friend.

Also if I attend the vetting, and the horse passes, does the sales receipt signing and the changeover of money happen directly afterwards?

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
How to pay and when to collect can vary. You just need to be clear with the seller or ask them what they want.

If you are present at the vetting with your own transport then yes you can just pay and take the horse immediately. But if you are not present or you are arranging transport then that isn’t really feasible. Sellers will want the horse off the yard fairly soon though so have a plan in place re picking up and arrange a bank transfer prior to the horse being collected.

Re payment: I have paid via PayPal on the phone on the day because I wanted to take the horse home as soon as she passed and had taken a trailer to the viewing.

When I sold Toby the buyers paid via BACS and I dropped him off 3 days later because their yard insisted on a clear foecal egg count before he moved on and that took a little while to come back. So it really does vary.

Hanno Verian

Visit site
Nice to see lots of support and constructive information !

As mentioned I would get someone who is more knowledgeable to go with you when you try the horse, I would not consider it an imposition to ask the seller to film, in an ideal world I would want two people with me, one to film and knowledgeable expert to watch me and the horse and not be distracted by doing the filming. I would be prepared to pay a deposit (10%) if I and the expert agreed on the spot, or later if you wanted to think about it. Deposit could be cash or bank transfer, I would want the seller to agree on full refund if horse fails vetting and you decide to back out and to stop showing the horse to anyone else from the moment you paid a deposit.

Vetting - depends upon how geographically close it is, I would be asking my own vet (if you have one) to either do the vetting or to recommend one if they couldnt. If they cant help even with a recommendation then I would ask friends for a reccomendation or worst case google Equine Vets in the area. You need to use a different practice to the seller, you need to use an equine vet not a small animal practice vet.

If the vet picks up something, you can ignore it and proceed, walk away or renogotiate price, I would get the vets & experts advice about this.

Collection - depends on whether you are doing this yourself or arranging for a commercial transporter to do it, I would want to be there (if possible) in advance of collection to see the horse and anything that comes with it.

I would avoid paying cash - there can be issues around money laundering/forged currency so I would expect to do it via bank transfer, speak to your bank in advance, remember if you have never transferred money to a new payee it can be delayed and not be instantaneous. I had an experience where I sold a trailer on behalf of someone else, to someone I vaguely knew and we had an hour of toe tapping waiting for funds to clear as the husband of the buyer got more irate as he was running late for something else, because I wouldnt release the trailer until funds had arrived in my account.

What I would say is dont rush in, get good advice - they need to be knowledgeable about horses in general and know you and your capabilities, as well as where you plan to keep it - There is a big difference between a novice owner/rider buying a horse and keeping it at home with no support and someone buying the same horse but liverying it where there is a structured life for it, it will be cared for, schooled and exercised to help you get the most out of it. You need to have someone who is utterly prgmatic and dispassionate about the process, its all to easy to fall in love with a stunning affectionate horse, that night turn out to be a nappy fruit loop.

Good luck

little_critter

Visit site
I had the delayed payment issue too. The seller was very nice about it while I sat there with my horsebox waiting for the payment to arrive. It could have been very awkward but they were lovely and were even considering letting me take the horse and sorting out the finances after!!
I wouldn't say that £3.5k cash is too much to hand over, but ask the seller how they would prefer payment.

Fransurrey

Visit site
  1. Would it be considered rude to ask the owner to film you ride?
  2. How do you organise a vetting?
Specifically how do you organise one while making sure that the vet and owner are both free? Also if you’re not going to attend the vetting how and when (before or after) do you pay and how? Also how do you get the vet report?
  1. Payment and signing the sales receipt
1.The owner offered to film me when I tried my boy. Can't imagine any owner refusing to do this.
2. I asked when she would be available for a vetting at the viewing and she told me days she could/couldn't do. I also asked which vet she used (to make sure it wasn't the same one). I then phoned a recommended vet (I asked on here!) and arranged a time/day, passing on the appointment to the owner (I think the vet asked for the owner's details, too). Vet phoned me after the vetting and sent the report the next day I think.

I paid deposit before the vetting and the balance was transferred the same day of the vetting by BACS. Sales receipt was handed to me when I collected him, but you could have it handed to transporter. I empathise with the anxiety. It was the first proper horse sale I'd done and I was bricking it. My previous ones were either through a friend or given to me!