Very embarassing rubs around coccyx, what to do?!?!?!

eva

Visit site
Hello kind horsey people,

I feel infinitely embarassed by this post but it's been at least 4 months since riding has turned truly sour for me :( they become especially bad when I do more canter work or sitting trot :( my saddle is Kieffer Piet, it seems to be comfy enough, so I'm not sure whether I should blame it? I have tried comfy underwear, baby rash cream, sudocrem, Bodyglide, keeping this area clean, different jods and breeches, gel seat saver, all to no avail!!! I have just spent an evening crying because again, after 2 weeks holiday, it took just 3 days for them to become raw and painful again!!! Has anyone faced such a problem before? Please share, even if through pm, it is a ridiculous issue but I am at my wit's end!!!!
Thank you!!!

yeeharider

Visit site
Hi very embarrasing but a very real problem, not experienced this myself but had a friend who was sore every time she went eventing. can only advise to use your seat saver daily and apply surgical spirit to your affected parts to harden the skin. :D good luck :D:D

POLLDARK

Visit site
Are you 100% certain it's not an infection that flares up with heat & sweating, perhaps thrush. You could try a regular use of Hibiscrub or even an athletes foot powder (for fungal infection) or both. Coiuld be worth trooping off to the Doctor.

flyingfeet

Visit site
I'm afraid it may well be your saddle
I know someone who had an abscess form as the rubbing and friction forces hair inwards, this is no laughing matter and may lead to surgery

I would see if you can try a flat seated saddle and see if this makes any difference to where you are being rubbed

Hope you get it sorted as I know its painful

Jesstickle

Visit site
That isn't embarrassing don't worry!

When I used to hack in my friends Stubben I got blisters between my bum cheeks every single damn time. It was her saddle I'm afraid.

I used to put surgical tape where the rubs happened (actually, I made OH do it. I'm classy me!) but as I rarely ride her horses now it isn't a problem anymore.

But you are not alone! :D

Skippys Mum

Visit site
The dreaded Chuff Chafe :(.

Have you tried vaseline? I'm with the others though - it sounds like its maybe some sort of fungal infection and I think a trip to the doctors is called for :(.

TarrSteps

Visit site
I'd agree on the saddle concern. Can you try another/ride another horse to check?

Also, do you have lessons? Can you mention to your instructor that you're having some 'discomfort'? You don't have to go into details but perhaps you've changed something in your position that might explain it.

Allie5

Visit site
Id agree with TarrSteps. If its def your coxyx area it sounds like your curling your behind too far under you. Your coxyx and your seatbones are fairly far apart! Def go get the all clear from the doc first mind you.

Nosey

Visit site
The dreaded Chuff Chafe .

Lovely turn of phrase skippysmum....made me chuckle!
Agree a trip to docs sounds cheaper initially than a new saddle!

Marydoll

Visit site
Id agree with TarrSteps. If its def your coxyx area it sounds like your curling your behind too far under you. Your coxyx and your seatbones are fairly far apart! Def go get the all clear from the doc first mind you.

Your position does sound a bit " off " if its your coccyx thats rubbing.that could be down to you or the position your saddle is putting you in.
Unti you get things sorted out try a piece of thin duoderm, its like a second skin and can be cut to size, ask for it in the bigger chemists, i dont think it is infection if it goes when you stop riding.

Tronk

Visit site
That isn't embarrassing don't worry!

When I used to hack in my friends Stubben I got blisters between my bum cheeks every single damn time. It was her saddle I'm afraid.

I used to put surgical tape where the rubs happened (actually, I made OH do it. I'm classy me!) but as I rarely ride her horses now it isn't a problem anymore.

But you are not alone! :D

I had the same problem when riding in a Stubben! Tried memory foam seat pad, padded pants:eek: - the only thing that worked was good old vaseline !

Also at first opportunity I replaced saddle with a Kent & Masters - completely solved the problem, no need for vaseline now!!

I'd let it clear up then try Vaseline on said area before riding - failing that trial a different saddle!

eva

Visit site
Oh my God, thank you people!!! It's such a relief to have your support!! I understand there are two main concerns - a saddle and an infection, I will try to explore both! I have already got some antifungal cream, and will book a saddler appointment soon. It's so tricky to find a saddle to fit both the horse and rider:((( and I think I have already exhausted all the saddlers around Patchetts :/ but anyway, thanks so much guys!!!
Re position, I have tried sitting this way or that, everything makes me sore, but all the more so the position that my instructor thinks is the most correct one and I agree with him as it makes sitting trot possible, so I guess in the end of the say it has to be the saddle that will have to be changed :(

Worried1

Visit site
Double check with the doctor it's not an in growing hair or infected hair follicle. My friend had this and needed minor surgery to remove it, no more trouble since. Hope it gets sorted

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Double check with the doctor it's not an in growing hair or infected hair follicle. My friend had this and needed minor surgery to remove it, no more trouble since. Hope it gets sorted

This - A friend of mine has just had to have an abcess drained from this area and it had to be done in hospital. Really don't be embarrassed to get it checked out as if it is this then the sooner it is treated the better as it can develop into something more serious.