Very greedy year old cat

Myloubylou

Visit site
This is my new cat Blue, he’s a ragdoll x chinchilla Persian. Although a year old he’s still very boisterous and a greedy so and so. Feeding on royal canin ragdoll kibble, serving size as per pack but he’s pestering for more. Think his previous home was over feeding. Goes to the vets on Friday for the snip so will ask them for advice. In the meantime ignore his cries or just give more. Been long time since had young cat!

Attachments

• 556FD5E7-1336-4FEE-A3D4-09F971697806.jpeg
    556FD5E7-1336-4FEE-A3D4-09F971697806.jpeg
    956.4 KB · Views: 14

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Utterly gorgeous! :D

We've always free fed our cats (they catch their own extra snacks too) and never had an overweight one, although not of those breeds.

If he's a good weight then I would be tempted to only give extra food after a good play session (so extra exercise results in a bit more food).

Definitely check with your Vet though. :)

Shady

Visit site
Gorgeous Cat OP !
I have a pure Chinchilla persian and they are a big cat , as is the Ragdoll. Yours is only a year old and still growing so personally I would not want to restrict this unless you really feel the amount he is eating is unusual. Personally I never take much notice of the amount stated on the pack and as you have a mixed breed it won't really apply . when young I give 3 meat meals a day on top but that is a personal thing and you may wish to stick to just dried. If so I would not keep him on R/C , you are paying for the name and not the quality and it is expensive for what's in it as well as what isn't. Perhaps look for one with a fresh meat content , it's possible he will then want less.

scats

Visit site
What a beautiful cat!

I have 2 cats, one who eats like a sparrow and I’m always paranoid is not getting enough, yet is a perfect weight according to the vet. The other is her brother, a huge cat who is constantly hungry. He would eat every second of the day if he could and regularly tries to con all of us that he’s not been fed. He will scratch at the cat food cupboard and grab you on the way past if you dare not open that cupboard and feed him. Unfortunately he’s on a diet as he is nearly 2kg heavier than his sister. Vet wants him to lose a kg. This is not going down well with the cat!

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
He's lovely! I would recommend lots of play and lots of platforms to jump up and down from to keep him fit and active. If you have a cat tree you could put some of his nuggets on the different platforms so he has to do some jumping up and down to find the food. You could also use a treat ball or make something yourself - when I first got Daisy she was a porker so I got a toilet roll tube, sellotaped some paper over one end and put her nuggets in the tube. She had to fish them out and roll it round. Took her longer to eat it all. She couldn't work out a treat ball, bless her, so I had to improvise!

Myloubylou

Visit site
He’s just under 4 kilos so is pretty big already. Will give him a bit extra and keep eye on his weight.

Zero00000

Visit site
I have a 5 month old kitten, he acts more like a dog that a cat, I've never met a cat like him, I'm certain he was starved, he uses to go down the bin, thankfully he is over that now, but he has severe food aggression, he is improving, but give him a chance and he will have anything off your plate.

We make sure he has dry food available all the time, and wet food a few times a day whilst he is still growing.

If we fed him everytime he asked we would be forever feeding him, so stick to a routine, he weighs 2.2kg but is quite a large kitten.

Good luck, they do like to test you!

(Like last night when he decided he had separation anxiety and meowed/scratched at the door for 2 hours until i finally gave in through exhaustion, and he spent the rest of the night going between myself and my husband purring and knitting!! Yawn)

Umbongo

Visit site
If you are feeding him from a bowl, I would stop this and scatter his food around the house, use activity/hunting feeders etc. This will keep him busy, spread his food out throughout the day and he can exhibit some of his natural behaviours.
Such as these:
https://docandphoebe.com/
https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_toys/miscellaneous/treat_toys/132801

There are loads more options, I only have experience of these ones.

Usually feed companies over estimate the food amount a bit. I would ask at the vets on Friday, if he looks healthy and is a good weight then I would carry on feeding the amount for his age/size as you are. Some cats are just VERY greedy. If I fed my cat every time he asked for food, he would have been MASSIVE.

fiwen30

Visit site
I wouldn’t be restricting the food of a year old cat as they’re still using vast amount of energy for growth. You can slow down his meals using interactive toys (can be fancy or can be a cardboard tube with paper in), so he’s not always pestering, but make sure he’s able to eat all the food he still needs right now.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I found my two boys ate masses in the first year or two about 4 pouches a day each plus kibble but have now slowed down. At 3 years one is on the skinny side and just 4kg and the other is on the chubby side at over 6kg. Chubby one tends to finish off anything the other leaves now.

I’ve got him one of these now to slow him down but he’s become pretty adept at getting the kibble out.

Cat Activity Fun Board, 30 × 40 cm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001O8L2UO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_JV9wDbV0J0A4W

HashRouge

Visit site
Does he go out? Worth worming if so.

Our big male cat could eat tonnes in his first couple of years and stayed slim as he was so active. Now he's got the middle age spread 😣

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Also got a year old ragdoll who is incredibly greedy must be the breed!!

He is beautiful!

She is extremely intelligent so for some of her food allowance it goes in her treat ball like I do with the horse cubes. A toilet roll with the end folded over and also an egg box are also good for making them work a bit harder for their food

As ragdolls are indoor cats she gets exercised but a lot of toys seem to be beneath her!!! You almost see the you expect me to play with that?! look. If you have a poundland near you its worth looking for one of the few toys that motivate her it's a hessian type material stuffed fish on a string with a black stick attached and the fish has a straw tail and I think it is the noise of the straw but she does (usually!) Enjoy playing with it.

Maybe a quick chat with the vet if he's due his jabs just to check his weight is inline and check he's getting the correct rations.

Myloubylou

Visit site
Trying the toilet roll food dispenser, he’s carrying it around like a mouse & trying to bite it apart. he's Sussed that food comes out if he rolls it but obviously finds it fun to do it this way. He’s very goofy

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
Haha what a little dude! If he likes chasing things get some ping pong balls - they can't really get purchase on them so they just end up chasing them for ages 😀

Blackwijet

Visit site
Microchip feeders have helped control my piglet of a Tonkinese, Poppy. Given half a chance she will inhale her food and was also trying to do the same to my Siamese, Loonie's, food. Loonie usually takes a few mouth fulls and then wanders off to tear round the house like a banshee. Poppy would then dive into Loonie's bowl and inhale that too! Microchip feeder saved the day. Measure out what each one should be having and have assigned feeders programmed to each microchip and that's it. Loonie, (3 yrs old acts like a 6 month old) can then have the appropriate amount each meal time and if she leaves some piglet Poppy can't pinch it. Poppy has since lost some of her excess weight and is more active.

Wish there was something similar for humans!:)