Very itchy dog

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
I Have a wired hair jack russell terrier who last year started itching self her to the point she was so sore on her belly, vets did a skin scrap and found ring wound which was treated for. She was still an itchy dog going through random phases of it getting really bad but it would settle,
Now she is awful at it, small patches of hair missing and just seems to be itchy all the time.
We have tried different supplements and shampoos creams etc, we have tried regular clipping vs no clipping
Does anyone else have any recommendations or have struggled with this also?
Thank you

Sandstone1

Visit site
You need to go back to vet really. Is she treated for fleas regularly? Wash all bedding at a high temp in a gentle detergent. It may be a food allergy so possibly change food to a Hypo allergenic food. She could be allergic to something in the environment. There are drugs like Apoquel but really vet is best.

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
I did mention to my partner we should consider vets again this week if no improvement!
I’ll give everthing a wash, but yeah she is flea and worm when due!
just unsure what has triggered it again

Sandstone1

Visit site
really needs sorting as its not nice to be itchy all the time.. Could be a cleaning product you use or food. Could be a dust or flea allergy. Lots of things.

Squeak

Visit site
My terrier has to have quarterly injections from the vets to help with her itching, can't for the life of me remember what it's called but it's not steroids and has been a game changer. I'd tried changing foods etc but it didn't help.

Squeak

Visit site
? Cytopoint

That rings a bell, I had a look through my bills but can't for the life of me find a relevant one 🙈 makes my previous post almost completely unhelpful!

OP definitely worth going back to the vets if you aren't getting anywhere though.

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
Yes! Will be around hay (no straw)as she is up the yard with us everyday,
She has wainwrights wet food twice daily then edgard Cooper gain free biscuits down all the time,
Treat wise we just pick up any treats don’t have a regular type!
I will give the vets a ring in morning and ask about this injection or any other recommendations
Thank you all

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
You need to do an elimination diet, with just one type of food and not chicken as many dogs are allergic.

The edgard Cooper contains pea protein (again an allergen to some dogs).

Last edited:

Andie02

Visit site
Avoid flea treatments, use natural products only if any needed. Only give natural treats like dried fishskin, dried tripe and and dried tripe.

Avoid potatoes, sweet potatoes, all grains including rice, wheat, maize, barley, oats and also beet pulp, and carrots, peas and beans.

Avoid drugs like the plague if possible, they will only mask the problems, not cure them.

A good probiotic daily is essential, and also a good spoonful of plain greek yoghurt daily may help. I found that Stinky Stuff's food supplement daily helped a lot, in time this will help the hair grow back. Aromesse Pet nat Dermacton products, soap bar, spray and cream, are great for the itching, and their ear drops if they are manky and itching. Supplements to help boost the immune system and heal the gut would be beneficial.

It can take several weeks for your dog to get over the irritants.

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
Thank you for all the advice! Hopefully changing all this will make a difference for her!
We did try stinky stuff and didn’t find it did much for her but I shall look into the other products,
Is there any food wet or dry that anyone would recommend I could try?

Redders

Visit site
If you want to do a proper food trial, to be able to eliminate food as a cause, it will need to be a Hypoallergenic food - on the packet it needs to say HYDROLYSED. This means any allergens have been broken down to be too small to cause a reaction. I recommend Purina HA.
this has to be the only food to pass her lips for 6 weeks. If her itching improves/goes, then it’s food related. Then you are supposed to challenge her immune system by introducing new foods, so for example introduce chicken or duck, but only as a sole source so not duck or chicken flavoured things. You do that until you get a skin reaction and you know she reacts to that particular thing.
most people don’t challenge and just remain on the food if it works.
this only works once the initial itch/any underlying infection in ears is addressed. Need to be on a level playing field to know if the food truly makes a difference

Andie02

Visit site
A high protein, low carb diet, is what worked for our dog, along with a good dog probiotic, and the Stinky Stuff food supplement. Home cooked meat and chicken also ok. We didn't want to go down the raw route if other foods worked. I have found that Orijen 6 fish, Orijen Tundra, and Orijen Regional Red are all ok for her, and Forthglade Just Range wet food. ( the Forthglade Complete wet food doesn't suit her, too many carbs in it ). We alternate them daily.

Jenko109

Visit site
Ringworm can be stubborn and come back after seemingly being eliminated.

I would treat with Malaseb every other day for a week and then once a week for six weeks.

JackieMoore

New User
Visit site
Ive tried different shampoos and diets for my Labrador along with with a liquid supplement I found online. Which seemed to work a treat for us. Has anyone used a supplement like this before where you just add it to their food daily no matter what diet they are on?