Very itchy horse

AWinter

Visit site
Just looking for ideas from the hive mind.

All of the horses are being bothered by the midgies but I have one particular guy who is very bothered. Mainly his sheath and belly, he’s very tail swishy and stampy. There’s no hair rubbing or any hives/lumps but I watched him draw blood biting at his sheath.

He is in a normal fly rug but I have a Boett on the way (which I ordered over a month ago….), I have some neem based fly spray that’s keeping them off the other horses but he seems to just be so itchy, I’m now concerned he’s sensitive to the fly spray somehow.

I’ve bought some antihistamines to try but any other ideas welcome. I want to stay away from strong/harsh stuff as I feel he’ll react. Anything topical I apply will end up in his mouth so I need to bear that in mind.

Weirdly we had a few lovely warm, dry days and he seemed fine just like the others, then yesterday it was very still with drizzle all day and he’s so irritated, he barely left our walk in barn. The others were very irriated too just not to the point he is. I was scratching right up in the grooves between his back legs where he can’t reach and he was in heaven, but th skin feels completely clean and healthy.

Last edited:

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Was gonna suggest a cream or gel or something a bit oily can stop them biting so bad, I sometimes mix coconut oil with eucalyptus and lemon oil and use it on bits that get bitten, the coconut helps hair grow as well so a bit multi purpose.

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
Mine was like this and would constantly want to reverse into me to itch his sheath and between his legs. I've been using killitch lotion on him for a week now and he's so much better, it is quite pricey for a small bottle though so I'm going to try mixing my own version up.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
They are so bad this year, I’m really hoping that when things dry up a bit they will disappear.
My field is on a fairly open exposed hill and I’ve never really had midges but I can see them even on my horses faces at the moment.

Jambarissa

Visit site
Poor bugger, one of mine is unusually itchy too.

Obviously avoid being bitten where possible then creamy/oily products work best to keep midges off. Battles summer fly cream, neem oil, benzylbenzoate mixed into a cream or coconut oil on a 1:3 basis. Benzyl is often the active ingredient in itch potions, £20 for a huge bottle on amazon.

The best fly sprays are the pesticides not actually licensed for use on horses in the UK - tritec 14 and the black Asorbine one. They are extremely effective, often lasting for days. I have no issue using these, they are licensed in Germany and the US and loads of people use them without reading the bottle anyway.

Antihistamines should help but they do come with risks with longterm use. You can try a human antihistamine cream or hydrocortisone cream on localised areas.

Also worth saying that if the horse remains itchy consult the vet, one on our yard died of liver damage after being itchy (symptom) for a couple ofyears.

Squeak

Visit site
Echo the others about using a thick cream to deter them. I've also had success in the past with avon skin so soft but be careful not too use it in places they are going to get direct sunlight as it is an oil (e.g. under the stomach is fine).

One of mine reacted really badly to Neem so it could also be that.

maya2008

Visit site
Coopers spot on - if you search there’s a thread about it from last year. All our mares were being bitten to pieces underneath, then we applied this a week ago and literally the next day they were all fine.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
My mare is particularly bad this year, she has very mild sweet itch but I’m putting Biteback cream on everyday this year. I tried to make my own but it isn’t the same, Biteback products are brilliant.

Fransurrey

Visit site
For now I'd use nappy cream or udder cream, as both will soothe the irritation. Germoline would be even better, or a haemorrhoid cream (anything with a local anaesthetic in it) if there are grazes/open wounds. I'll put a post up of my concoction, as there seem to be a few posts about itchy horses at the mo!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Just looking for ideas from the hive mind.

All of the horses are being bothered by the midgies but I have one particular guy who is very bothered. Mainly his sheath and belly, he’s very tail swishy and stampy. There’s no hair rubbing or any hives/lumps but I watched him draw blood biting at his sheath.

He is in a normal fly rug but I have a Boett on the way (which I ordered over a month ago….), I have some neem based fly spray that’s keeping them off the other horses but he seems to just be so itchy, I’m now concerned he’s sensitive to the fly spray somehow.

I’ve bought some antihistamines to try but any other ideas welcome. I want to stay away from strong/harsh stuff as I feel he’ll react. Anything topical I apply will end up in his mouth so I need to bear that in mind.

Weirdly we had a few lovely warm, dry days and he seemed fine just like the others, then yesterday it was very still with drizzle all day and he’s so irritated, he barely left our walk in barn. The others were very irriated too just not to the point he is. I was scratching right up in the grooves between his back legs where he can’t reach and he was in heaven, but th skin feels completely clean and healthy.
This is the best thing I have ever used https://www.william-hunter.co.uk/index.php/radiol-fly-repellent-cream.html not in stock sadly

RLS

Visit site
I have a horse prone to being very itchy/ reactive to midges. I've been feeding him brewers yeast for years now, and it definitely works for him. He can still get bitten, but doesn't react so badly to the bites or gets so itchy. Need to be feeding it for a while to start working though, it's not an instant fix.