Very itchy pony 9 - advice

Tangaroo

Visit site
I have a miniature shetland who is incredibly itchy. He scratches on anything and everything. Its not sweetitch, he scratches his bum on the water trough and is shoulders and sides on any fences he can get to. He would stand for hours for me to scratch him all over. I cant find anything living on him although will have another good look tomorrow. My other mini isnt scratching like him so dont think its bugs as i would have thought she would have it too.
If necessary i will get the vet to check him but wondered if anyone else has had the problem?
It cant be a food allergy cos all he has is grass and hay with a couple of slices of carrot and apple when he comes in

Tangaroo

Visit site
Hes not rugged and doesnt appear to sweat. I did wonder if i should clip him but hes terrified of new things so think it would take quite a while to desensitise him for clipping
I got him in October and hes always been itchy so hard to know

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Yes, I would try it. We had a horse that was very sensitive to carrots and there was another thread about itchy horses, a few days ago, where someone said stopping feeding carrots had been the answer for theirs. Sorry I can't remember the thread title.

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
My mini was itchy and I got the vet to have a look while she was here for jabs. She couldn’t see anything. I treated him with deosect in case it was lice. He’s stopped itching. It could equally of been he was too hot.

3OldPonies

Visit site
Reading this with interest. My new boy is incredibly itchy at present. I thought maybe I was over rugging because he does get chilled quickly in the rain and wind. So I've just been putting a no fill rain sheet on in this rubbish weather we're having- but he is still itchy. I'm going to try cutting out the carrots now, he didn't get them except as a treat in his former home, but I'm one if those old fashioned types that believes in succulents with each feed. Incidentally, he is fed on pure feeds condition complete feed, and has a lovely shiny coat and I haven't seen signs of any unwanted 'guests'.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Reading this with interest. My new boy is incredibly itchy at present. I thought maybe I was over rugging because he does get chilled quickly in the rain and wind. So I've just been putting a no fill rain sheet on in this rubbish weather we're having- but he is still itchy. I'm going to try cutting out the carrots now, he didn't get them except as a treat in his former home, but I'm one if those old fashioned types that believes in succulents with each feed. Incidentally, he is fed on pure feeds condition complete feed, and has a lovely shiny coat and I haven't seen signs of any unwanted 'guests'.

The thing about the no fills is they are just that, there is no filling so its a bit like wearing a plastic bag over yourself with no layers in between, you are just going to sweat and get itchy! Its a difficult one, there is no right answer but rainsheets do tend to be a big of a pain when they aren't clipped!

Spottyappy

Visit site
Lice.
Or, possibly an allergic reaction to an insect bite. One of mine was like this, and it turned out to be a severe reaction to an Unidentified insect bite, we had to have a biopsy done on one of the itchy areas.

Iris1995

Visit site
I clipped out my mini two weeks ago when it was really warm. Now naked and happy, despite the change in weather, with no signs of itchiness.

3OldPonies

Visit site
The thing about the no fills is they are just that, there is no filling so its a bit like wearing a plastic bag over yourself with no layers in between, you are just going to sweat and get itchy! Its a difficult one, there is no right answer but rainsheets do tend to be a big of a pain when they aren't clipped!

Normally, I would agree with that, but the no fill I'm using is breathable with a cotton lining.