VERY itchy sheath problem - now turned scabby

eckles

Visit site
I have a 12yo gelding who in the 7 years I'e had him has had almost no veterinary issues (lucky me!) to speak of.
All through this summer, however he's been begging me to scratch in and around his sheath area - which obviously puts him into absolute ecstasy - my partner has taken to calling him "your pervy horse". This all became a bit more serious when I started finding possible bite wounds on his sheath, which went a bit scabby and took ages to heal up. Watching him in the field though you wouldn't know he had a problem. We applied various itch stop creams and lotions as well as various fly repellents.

I thought he was getting better - he stopped begging anyway - but a couple of weeks ago he became insistent that I scratched the inside of his near hind for him. Yesterday I found him absolutely COVERED in scabs - all up the inside of his hind leg and all over his sheath. On closer inspection he also has a few scabs under his near elbow, and a tiny circular bald spot on the side of his muzzle - don't know if these are related.

The scabs are small and flat, no pus and peel away without too much resistance. He's obviously in a bad way, any ideas how to help him?

There's a vet visiting the yard end of next week, and i'm planning on asking him to take a look.

Izzwizz

Visit site
Get the vet as soon as possible. Sounds like an infection/reaction to fly bites or something like that. He may need antibiotics and something to relieve the itching.

Ella19

Visit site
infection, maggots within his sheath (v.common but needs sorting asap if this), or perfect round circlular scabs/bald bits can be ringworm.

eckles

Visit site
Thanks, I had considered ringworm - some scabs are certainly round, but others are not. It all looked a little better today - I say better - mottled pink where the scabs were! Still sufficient scabs for me to talk to the vet. It now seems the whole yard wants the vet out for various reasons (all 3 of us), so he's been duly booked for tomorrow.

Thanks for taking an interest.